It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Fast Movers and Flight Paths

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Nobody

Fast Movers and Flight Paths

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 am

So for Fast Movers, I've been getting stuck on the idea of just how wide their flight path is. The reason for this is wrapped up in the Seraphim, which is probably the widest FM and the one that has the biggest reason to want to be able to clip a building with a weapon that has a F(N) arc.

I've tried checking the rules. Pg 46 of the 1.1 rulebook covers Fast Movers, and states to refer to the rules for normal aircraft for movement.

Those rules begin on page 43, where you are told that Fast Movers cannot go over inclines, and on page 44 where you are told that the model must be able to be placed at the end of movement.

Now, if I was going to compare the movement to normal vehicles, I'd presume that the "width" of the flightpath is the same as the width of the aircraft, and therefore I'd need to ensure that the flightpath means I do not clip any buildings with the wings (which means that the Seraphim has to hit an incredibly unforgiving angle to allow them to clip a corner on buildings over 6" tall).

Am I off base in my assumption here?

I've had the thought that maybe the intent is, like with targeting aircraft, that while moving the model you just need to concern yourself with the single point that is 6" from the ground and above the midpoint of the aircraft until you need to actually place the model (like when it's firing).

Weidekuh

Re: Fast Movers and Flight Paths

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 5:16 am

Aircrafts are just a single point on top of your flightstand. Either at 6" or 2", depending on your choice.

Since you are off map when you end your movement, you don't need to be able to place it and so the model is irrelevant. You can draw a narrow line for your flightpath. Technicly, you dont stop your movement when firing either. So you may even argue, that it's still just are a single point. This is going too far in abstraction for my taste, but rulewise it should be ok.
Resistance & Shaltari

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 6:25 am

Weidekuh wrote:Aircrafts are just a single point on top of your flightstand. Either at 6" or 2", depending on your choice.

Since you are off map when you end your movement, you don't need to be able to place it and so the model is irrelevant. You can draw a narrow line for your flightpath. Technicly, you dont stop your movement when firing either. So you may even argue, that it's still just are a single point. This is going too far in abstraction for my taste, but rulewise it should be ok.

W is correct. (Well, I don't know about "going too far in abstraction", I'm fine with it, as I assume that the FM makes a quick hard bank and then back again to follow his straight line flight path but avoid clipping the building with his wings. This is the 27th(?) Century, after all, and these are advanced aircraft from today's lofty standards, so, yeah, point is, it's just a point at either 6" or 2" above the table, and that will bring any building within the F(N) arc of the Seraphim, you just fly right next to the >=6" high building but not intercepting it...)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Nobody

PostFri Jun 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Ah okay, I as wondering if the whole "point above the flight stand" applied to movement too or if I was trying to import rules from another section in order to justify it.

Return to Rules Queries