It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:45 am

Cruisers?

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

Eddieddi

Re: Cruisers?

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 am

I magnatized my crusiers, but if you don't want to do that.
Bellepharon Best heavy ship imho, Solid front gun, can sit out the way of the fight and use all its weapons, Put it in a group with 2 pandora and you have a really nasty combo, or 2 of the launch frigates if you want a high launch force. Other than that, the troop crusiesrs are basicly a heavy cruiser hull without the huge front guns.

Shikatanai

PostThu Jul 20, 2017 5:41 pm

Orpheus
Bellerophon / Scipio
To a certain extend the Ganymede.
Besides that everything else is situational and depends on scenario and List... Orion, Ajax and Theseus are most usefull. Everything else is subpar imho.

Dvalin

PostSun Jul 23, 2017 6:01 pm

So!

To date, I've assembled:

2x Bellerophon
2x Orpheus
1x Ganymede
1x Achilles
2x Ikarus

I've gone heavy on launch as a counter to PHR's relatively weak point defense, and Scourge and UCM use of close action; figure fighters'll be a help, and the PHR launch ships seem very handy anyway. The Achilles is sort of silly, but I suspect it'll be a useful 'distraction Carnifex' sort of thing once I identify players who play heavy on BCs or BBs. I've still got two unassembled hulls with this schema, and can use those to plug gaps that might appear.
Dropzone Commander:
PHR, a lot.
UCM, a lot.

Dropfleet Commander:
PHR, a lot.
UCM, a little.
Shaltari, a little.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Dvalin wrote:So!

To date, I've assembled:

2x Bellerophon
2x Orpheus
1x Ganymede
1x Achilles
2x Ikarus

I've gone heavy on launch as a counter to PHR's relatively weak point defense, and Scourge and UCM use of close action; figure fighters'll be a help, and the PHR launch ships seem very handy anyway. The Achilles is sort of silly, but I suspect it'll be a useful 'distraction Carnifex' sort of thing once I identify players who play heavy on BCs or BBs. I've still got two unassembled hulls with this schema, and can use those to plug gaps that might appear.

Seems like a solid plan.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Rathaxz

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 12:47 am

In a competitive environment (aka tournament lists) just the Orpheus and the Ganymede and maybe the Bellephron, as they are heavy cruisers that are considered medium and also happen to be troopships. I have found the Ganymede tends to prefer to come on turn 3 and run head long for a cluster before bombarding and landing the turn after to win the sector. The Orpheus with calypso support works well comming on turn 1 or 2 and brawling with the enemy while dropping until your big guns come on the table.

I say maybe the Bellepheon because if PHR had another cruiser that was a support ship that had the twin burnthough on the front or if PHR had another option for a single ship that had a large amount of launch (and by large I mean 4 launch), I doubt I would be taking the bellephron. It's a solid ship, it just tends to be a little slow so that amazing PHR launch 4 tends to be used on fighters more so than the bombers. Once the bombers are in there but oh boy!

In a less serious environment, I enjoy Archilies (I hear the start of Troy(the movie) every time I use the ship.the Orion, two of them as people have said is just a solid core of fire power, the Thesus is great, I actually rate them above Orions but they benefit from fewer command cards. And lastly both battleships, the scipio is amazing, to the point depending on the type of list you are running I would maybe even consider it a competive ship for a tournament list. As for the leonidas, 2 Thesus are better than 1 Leonidas(have the fire power the Leo should have on one side without going weapons free and are slightly cheeper) I personally just love the idea of 2 Leonidas going weapons free with the extra 2 shots per broadside command card.

Gunny

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 3:19 pm

Good evening,

might I enquire how you opinion is about the soon to be released battle cruiser?
I personally find it hard to justify using one. The Agamemnon seems to bring nothing to the table other ships also could, horrible ship with bad firing arcs and unwise linked broadsides.
The Priam brings launch 4 but is missing the front laser of the Bellerophone. Instead, he brings two linked light broadside to erase light ships and to shot into atmosphere.

Thank you very much!

Dvalin

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 pm

Hey, Gunny;

With the admission that I'm still not an experienced player, my view of the PHR battlecruisers isn't a great one. Still, it might be a perspective thing. With the UCM, the battlecruisers are in the classic style; heavily gunned, marginally faster, marginally squishier battleships, they engage cruisers with ease but might not be up to tackling a battleship without support or a solid first strike. With the Scourge, it seems the battlecruisers are more hunter/killer submarines: immensely powerful guns, quick, sneaky, but once pinned down tend to melt. With the PHR, the battlecruisers are actually frigate-fast, still tougher than they have any right to be, and clearly gunned to hunt light craft. Think of them less as central to a fleet as an independent ship that might be at a far station, intended to quickly respond to threats or to hunt down outliers. Given the short duration of DFC games, though, this means they'd probably be best used to round on an objective the opponent's reaching for with light forces.

That's just my contextualizing, mind. I'd tend to say the Scipio looks potentially useful, if not as focused as a Bellerophon. I wouldn't bother with an Agamemnon, to be honest.
Dropzone Commander:
PHR, a lot.
UCM, a lot.

Dropfleet Commander:
PHR, a lot.
UCM, a little.
Shaltari, a little.

Drcox

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 pm

I love the scipio with its launch 4, and speed - it can drop bombers far more effectively than a Bellerophon- one of those and a calypso can almost go off on their own to hit the edges whilst the rest of the fleet bludgeons up the middle

Shikatanai

PostThu Jul 27, 2017 10:42 pm

I think deciding between Bellerophon and Scipio is mainly a Scenario and List question... both have their place. The Leonidas falls off a little but as it is much harder to play efficiently.

Gunny

PostSun Jul 30, 2017 7:46 am

Good morning, thank you for your input. I think I will proxy a Priam first ans see how it performs.

Also, I'll see and try what two Orions or Theseus perform instead of one Agamemnon. I only wished the Theseus had more PD dice, 5 isn't much and 2, well. Could have had none, that wouldn't be a great difference for the amount of shots Taipeis or Djinn can dish out. Oh well.
PreviousNext

Return to PHR - Fleet Lists and Tactics