It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 pm

700 PHR for an escalation league

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

WizardLizard

700 PHR for an escalation league

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 1:34 pm

I am thinking or restarting my PHR as there is a local escalation league starting soon.

I tend to like swarm lists so I will be basing my initial fleet on frigates and corvettes.

Line BG:
2 x Medea
2 x Andromeda
1 x Orion

Line BG
1 x Theseus
2 x Andromeda

Pathfinder BG
3 x Echo

Pathfinder BG
3 x Echo
2 x Medea

I haven't played in months but that seems like a pretty solid base?

Scoundrel13

Hawk Talon

Re: 700 PHR for an escalation league

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 9:19 pm

This seems a solid starting point yeah, and for 700 points, to already have six Corvettes will work well. You may find yourself a bit out-gunned in Orbit, but if you win the ground that shouldn’t matter.

WizardLizard

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:56 am

Echos are in a pack of six so it would be a shame to waste them :). They look like a reasonable threat in orbit as well, at least en masse.

I only have the frigates at the moment though so I will need to find somewhere with Echos in stock first....

swampsheep

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:17 pm

I think the list is overall fine. I miss and Orpheus as I think it is the number one PHR ship (see in-depth explanation here: http://linkedbroadsides.com/ship-analysis-orpheus-class/) and I would probably replace a Medea and the Theseus with an Orpheus.

I am also a bit in doubt if 6 echoes are worth it. I think they are somewhat expensive and while they can fight outside atmosphere, for their points value, you can get much better fighting ability elsewhere. I would consider replaceing three of them with 2 Europas or similar fighting ship.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates weekly, mostly on Mondays.

WizardLizard

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 6:35 pm

I am normally a UCM player and I have had enough bad experiences with my San Francisco that I would rather just take more strike carriers over troopships, at least they will live longer.

As this is an escalation league though there will be quite a lot of expansion and and Cruiser hulls will be on my shopping list, at least after a Bellerophon, and an Orpheus is under consideration.

I am thinking of getting the fleet box so that will give me a lot of room for experimentation.

Admiral JCJF

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm

WizardLizard wrote:I am normally a UCM player and I have had enough bad experiences with my San Francisco that I would rather just take more strike carriers over troopships, at least they will live longer.

There is simply no comparison (except in terms of drop capability) between a San Francisco and an Orpheus.

The latter is a tough combat ship which also brings troop transport capability, the former a pea-shooter armed box dribbling into enemy fire.

WizardLizard wrote:As this is an escalation league though there will be quite a lot of expansion and and Cruiser hulls will be on my shopping list, at least after a Bellerophon, and an Orpheus is under consideration.

The Bellerophon, while excellent, can certainly wait for expansion. The Orpheus on the other hand is something I'd be wanting to have on the table from day one.
Why would we waste words on Prey?

WizardLizard

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

Admiral JCJF wrote:There is simply no comparison (except in terms of drop capability) between a San Francisco and an Orpheus.

Well the Orpheus is slower and has a 3 more hull than a San Francisco; given how quickly a San Fran evaporates I don't think that those 3 extra HPs are going to do very much. The Orpheus does have significantly enhanced combat ability but it is a double edged sword as this makes the Orpheus an even bigger target. Medeas have obvious drawbacks when it comes to stations but they are superior when it comes to ground objectives as they can be all over the board and hiding in atmosphere. I also expect to have air superiority thanks to my Echos.

In short I am happy to trust in a Medea swarm for my ground combat needs.

That's not to say that the Orpheus doesn't have a role, I'm just not all that interested in it.

Conceptually I also don't like troopships in DFC, they really shouldn't be in heavily contested areas to begin with.

swampsheep

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 11:03 pm

I think the Orpheus is the best ship PHR has - as stated above.

You shouldn't think of it, as a heavily armed and armoured troopship. You should think of it, as an Ajax-class with increased durability and troop deploy capabilities. I often bring 2 or 3 - that is feasible because it is not a loss of fighting power - it is simply adding troop deploy to your fighting power.

The multi-role basically makes target saturation feasible.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates weekly, mostly on Mondays.

Return to PHR - Fleet Lists and Tactics