Two Achilles in a Vanguard group?

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

Scoundrel13

Hawk Talon

Two Achilles in a Vanguard group?

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking at expanding my PHR force, and I've been thinking about broadsides a lot. Though I know that Bombers are a proven tactic to follow with PHR, I just like the broadside mechanic, and with quite a few of the ships that have them gaining Linked, I think it makes them more viable.

So I'm looking at two Achilles working together: eight 3+ Heavy Calibre shots per side each, 2D3+2 Close Action and the Torpedoes as a nice bonus, though I'm not going to go into games expecting them to do much. This would cost 330pts and be an SR 20 group.

That all seems pretty beefy! Anybody tried this?

Tychonaut

Re: Two Achilles in a Vanguard group?

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 4:55 pm

When I built my ships I paused at the entry for the Achilles, then moved on past to the Ajax.
They do similar things but very differently.

The Burnthrough is it's weapon to deal with anything of it's size or larger, and those 12 dice Light Broadsides tear up any Strike Carriers that dare even look at it.
2 of them Grouped together is enough to cover 2 Sectors by themselves, as anything that comes into range is getting pelted to death.

They are also cheaper, almost expendably so. Saving you points to play elsewhere.
(like the 2 Bellerophon that I consider an Auto-Include)

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 am

I commonly face a fleet that uses a pair of them. They can be a nightmare to deal with as I like to use battlecruisers and they cut through them with ease. Even against other ships they still put out a lot of crit damage. Torpedoes are a meh weapon as has been discussed to death here but they still can cripple a ship in one go if you are lucky but most of the time they have killed their target anyway. Make sure you get used to the side fire arcs as late game they can get double broadsides off without too much effort. One by itself isnt all that scary but a pair is tough to fight.

swampsheep

PostMon Dec 04, 2017 4:06 pm

I have played around with it a bit - so much that I have two painted.

Heavy broadsides are nasty against other H and S ships due to the low critical border and double torpedoes is really nasty against most stuff. I have yet to have a lot of success with this, but I am not yet discouraged.

I think the next couple of games I'm playing I should try this out again to get a bit more solid experience.
http://linkedbroadsides.com - My blog with analysis, tactics and thoughts about dropfleet. Updates weekly, mostly on Mondays.

Return to PHR - Fleet Lists and Tactics