It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 pm

On transports

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Zero

On transports

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 4:56 pm

I have played a few games now and... I'm wondering if the game actually plays how it was intended at first.
If I am not wrong, transports should not just drop their cargo on first turn and the do little else (don't know others' but mine (Scourge) don't have offensive capabilities worth consideration). Transports should be the focus of the game, and the great difference in speed between combat vehicles (i.e. tanks) and transports should make embarking/disembarking to re-deploy combat vehicles a viable option in the game.
To me, after maybe too few games, this seems not the case. Mostly due to the short number of turns (6) a game lasts.
On the first turn I deploy my stuff (assuming every transport is able to reach the point where I want to disembark stuff with half its movement, and this is not always the case, especially with infantry) and nothing shoots. If at anytime during the game I want to redeploy something, this will be another turn (more realistically: two turns) of no-shooting. That's half the game.
So for me the combo of: 6 turns + no shoot + half movement makes redeploying stuff hardly viable. How do people actually play? What is your experience? I am making some evaluation error due to inexperience?

Nobody

Re: On transports

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 12:30 am

Zero wrote:I have played a few games now and... I'm wondering if the game actually plays how it was intended at first.
If I am not wrong, transports should not just drop their cargo on first turn and the do little else (don't know others' but mine (Scourge) don't have offensive capabilities worth consideration). Transports should be the focus of the game, and the great difference in speed between combat vehicles (i.e. tanks) and transports should make embarking/disembarking to re-deploy combat vehicles a viable option in the game.
To me, after maybe too few games, this seems not the case. Mostly due to the short number of turns (6) a game lasts.
On the first turn I deploy my stuff (assuming every transport is able to reach the point where I want to disembark stuff with half its movement, and this is not always the case, especially with infantry) and nothing shoots. If at anytime during the game I want to redeploy something, this will be another turn (more realistically: two turns) of no-shooting. That's half the game.
So for me the combo of: 6 turns + no shoot + half movement makes redeploying stuff hardly viable. How do people actually play? What is your experience? I am making some evaluation error due to inexperience?

Kinda...there are circumstances where you will want to re-embark or disembark later in the game.

The 2.0 rules do change this a little and give the ability to drop and shoot.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 7:21 am

In games with focal points or critical locations non-Infantry Transports become more important. Unless you have a movement value of 9"+ in addition with direct deployment.

Also as stated 2.0 makes them more important as this is one of the main goals of the new edition you can find the open Beta rules here:

https://ttcombat.com/pages/dropzone-commander-resources

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Even in 1.0, I've often looked back at games and thought that I should have redeployed more. Moving units to give them better targets where they have the advantage is crucial, letting them sit somewhere in order to get that extra shot typically isn't worth it if the shot is crap.

Scourge are fast which is probably why you don't feel it as much. Some of the slower factions are quite dependent on their transports.

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 10:32 pm

Also avoid the instinct to deploy everything turn 1. Turn 1 deployment is good for AA but holding onto a squad until turn 2 or 3 can be more beneficial if it places them in a spot that is a thorn in your opponents side. You can really put his back board units in danger and force him to react to you.

And again, in 2.0 this all becomes much more viable, but still viable in 1.0.

I've been writing a blog on this for a while but have never finished it.

Zero

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks everyone for opinions and insights. Probably as re-deployment is the innovative and unique trait of DzC we're (me and friend) overlooking it? I'll try to keep in mind the option more.

Also, regaring "better positions", we're actually playing on the paper mats included on the starter set, with cardboard buildings. I believe we need some kind of scatter, and maybe a custom board with roads not aligned with table edges (like at 45° for example). Our table as is it's a bit "all or nothing" you can see me, or you can't. Not many option to gain "hull down".

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Zero wrote:Thanks everyone for opinions and insights. Probably as re-deployment is the innovative and unique trait of DzC we're (me and friend) overlooking it? I'll try to keep in mind the option more.

Also, regaring "better positions", we're actually playing on the paper mats included on the starter set, with cardboard buildings. I believe we need some kind of scatter, and maybe a custom board with roads not aligned with table edges (like at 45° for example). Our table as is it's a bit "all or nothing" you can see me, or you can't. Not many option to gain "hull down".

The paper board is ok for just the starters. Once you have a decent army size, 1000 - 1500 points you will want to be on a 4x4 board. Scatter is also important as well, especially for UCM. 2.0 has distinct rules for scatter.

Zero

PostFri Aug 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Thanks!

Return to General Discussion