It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:57 am

New Fluff? New Stuff?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Novus

New Fluff? New Stuff?

PostThu Jun 08, 2017 11:06 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I really need something to happen in DzC. Our local meta is barely hanging on and I think a shot of the New Shiny would really help. Does anyone have any news/rumors? Can the Hawk folks drop a hint or ten? Pweeeeez?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: New Fluff? New Stuff?

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 6:58 am

Liam is on holiday until the 21st, so we won't hear from him until after then, at the earliest. He mentioned that they've hired a new social media guru, but I don't know if that person will be taking over monitoring this forum, or when. So it may be a while before you get a response. Sorry, just trying to set expectations...

As far as rumors go, can't say, other than to say that Hawk have definitely not forgotten about Dropzone Commander, and new stuff is on the horizon, I just can't say what. Hang in there!

How is Dropfleet doing in your area, Rich? We're starting a Dropfleet Escalation League this Saturday, and after that has run its course, we'll be following up with a Dropzone Escalation League. It's a natural progression for two reasons -- Dropfleet is the "new, shiny", and you need to get to the planet and control the Orbital layers before you can move on to the ground game. We've also started a campaign amongst the veteran players, and as we grow the ranks of both Dropfleet and Dropzone players, they can join in, too, or we'll set up something simpler for anyone who wants in. In a campaign environment, you can play both systems, and have reasons to play both, and with big enough teams (they don't have to be that big, really) you can let someone who wants to concentrate on Fleet do so, and let someone who only wants to play Zone do so, and they're all contributing to the narrative.

Just a suggestion. All good things come to those who wait. ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

stormbringer

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 am

I saw Dave at the UK Expo last Saturday and I asked him when are we getting a 6th faction for DZC....he said he had all the concepts but it would need to be a 24 unit release and that he'd need to hire an extra designer....

Dave said dropfleet was also occupying a lot of attention at the moment, and as such a 6th faction is still probably some way off. However, Dave did say they had some big plans for Dropzone and this would happen later in the year. Unfortunately, he wouldn't say what these were. My guesses would be the App, or perhaps a streamlined DZC version 2.0 with all rules (post FAQs & errata) in 1 book?

I'd be interests if anyone knows anything more?

Ruarl

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 3:10 pm

I also had a chat with Dave at UKGE. He told me they had "Big plans" for Dropzone for later in the year. He did mention something about scenarios for both games.

In my opinion we'll see the fauna from Phase 2. I can't remember if we've seen all the famous commanders from Phase 2, but if we haven't, those too. I'd be surprised if there's much more. Maybe another double-blister per faction? Even that seems like a lot.

The battlecruisers are due out in July, according to the Hawk guy running the DFC tournament. I guess DFC will be left alone for a while after that to see how the meta shakes out, and to inform designs for the Destroyers and Dreadnoughts, which will turn up at some unknown point in the future.

Novus

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I ask because I have TWO fully painted DzC armies of pretty much every unit I want... that NEVER happens because I paint very slowly. Seems like forever since things have moved on the ground. I NEED TO SPEND SOME MONEY!

Regarding 'fleet, I'm not a giant fan of Naval games, though 'fleet is pretty good and absolutely fun. Dropzone is definitely my fave!

If anyone at Hawk is taking suggestions these are my Christmas wishes:

1. Dropzone v2.0: an App, tweak demo and FM rules, add/smooth rural rules, add troops CQB in the open rules
2. New Fast Movers for everyone!
3. New small units or perks to soak up those last 5-10 points

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jun 09, 2017 5:08 pm

These posts confuse me. There seems to be lots to do and I don't know how one could get bored. 3rd party scenarios, campaigns, tournaments etc.

Locally we are in the middle of an escalation league. I'm putting together a packet for a combined dropfleet/dropzone campaign. We have a tournament coming up in October but everyone is itching for one sooner. I'm dabbling in creating my own scenarios with fauna and weather.

Given I too would like to see Fauna, famous commanders, the app, more communication. I feel like I have enough to keep me busy.

stevefamine

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 3:51 pm

"He mentioned that they've hired a new social media guy" The person who runs their Instagram/email/mailing is genuinely nice.

The game is great - it's just sitting in that weird murky area of "not a top ten wargame" and not demo'd. Honestly I have a Youtube with a few thousand wargaming subscribers - I'll start making videos and reach out to my local area. Once you get a core group and a a trickle of new HWG content - it'll spring back to life.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 5:34 pm

samspace wrote:These posts confuse me. There seems to be lots to do and I don't know how one could get bored. 3rd party scenarios, campaigns, tournaments etc.

Problem I have is that other games are doing things to generate excitement and bring new content. My DFC league ran out of steam after week 2 because of Flames of War having a new edition (and D-Day mega battle prep which ate most peoples time). 8th Ed 40k has people going crazy one way or another. Last gaming night we had all 4 tables running Infinity all night as the Wotan global event is going on now and everyone is super excited by that.

For me its not that people are bored with the game as much as all the other games are doing cool thing like being revamped or having an actual event that generates excitement. I can scream to high heavens about my league and the prizes but people are attracted to the new shiny or the online campaign.

What I need from Hawk is something big I can push to compete with all this other excitement. A Global Campaign for Phase 3 would be wonderful. Bring those special commander models out with missions for them (and bonuses in campaign if they are used). DFC held on here for a bit because it was new but has died off as no one can buy starter sets off the shelf here so hard to get new blood. DZC hasn't been played in over a year from what I can tell and the lack of excitement over new releases is a factor. Phase 2 was great but when none of the players here could get a copy it stalled. I'm sure if there was something more to the release than just a book coming out then we would have seen people pushing the local store to make orders. Instead we have a special model for DFC that still has no rules/mission for it and it took months to get rules for the bunker models published. If Hawk wants to get into that Top 10 wargame category outside of the UK they need to be a little more active with the community that is not able to attend the conventions that seem to eat up most of their time.

Egge

PostMon Jun 12, 2017 9:06 pm

I think the discussion is a little to large. I also think it has been a bit quiet. Problem is that we have historically gotten large parts silence for some hellish awesomeness coming from nowhere. I think it would help with many smaller releases instead. Like a unit every other month instead of all units in a wave at once and in between smaller releases like experimental rules, new missions, storybits from the UCM campaign e t c. All of the Fauna does not need to be there from the start - release that in smaller "waves" instead. The problem is the complete silence (it is not really a complete silence but it feels like it). Getting some small releases here and there would help.

At the same time we must understand the size of Hawk and the massive undertaking of a Kick-starter as well as upholding 2 main games.

Major Awesome

PostTue Jun 13, 2017 3:22 am

I think it's a legitimate question/discussion. I'm more aware of exciting things coming for wargames I DON'T play than I am for upcoming releases or exciting news on the Hawk front... and I'm relatively well plugged in to the game.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.
Next

Return to General Discussion