It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:50 am

New Fluff? New Stuff?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

samspace

Hawk Talon

Re: New Fluff? New Stuff?

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Egge wrote:I think the discussion is a little to large. I also think it has been a bit quiet. Problem is that we have historically gotten large parts silence for some hellish awesomeness coming from nowhere. I think it would help with many smaller releases instead. Like a unit every other month instead of all units in a wave at once and in between smaller releases like experimental rules, new missions, storybits from the UCM campaign e t c. All of the Fauna does not need to be there from the start - release that in smaller "waves" instead. The problem is the complete silence (it is not really a complete silence but it feels like it). Getting some small releases here and there would help.

At the same time we must understand the size of Hawk and the massive undertaking of a Kick-starter as well as upholding 2 main games.

Your blog post on the matter was spot on. I'm not a fan of the huge waves of releases either. It feels up my painting table a lot of units and then I get stressed out with all the painting I have to do.

Comparatively, although not a miniature game, I think the most successful game out there would probably be Magic the Gathering. They have a very consistent release schedule. Everyone knows when the new release is coming, every FLGS has a release event, everyone knows what day to be there, or avoid for non-magic players :).

I think the gaming industry in general (video, board, miniatures) has "Shiny Toy Syndrome." You can see it at each FLGS, a new game comes out, everyone buys in and then it slowly dies away until a new release, edition etc and then it spins back up again. The Swedish blog asked the question if we will lose players to the new ed of 40k. I don't think that we will lose players as much as we will lose players attention. 40k right now is definitely the shiny new toy, stomping on infinity's wotan league, until some other game gets a big update/release. That's what incremental small releases helps do, its fights Shiny Toy Syndrome and keeps players attention.

That being said, I've personally got past the "denial" stage of my STS condition and I'm on to recovery. :) I'm trying to resist buying more board and miniature games and trying to play the ones I have. My collection keeps getting too big with far too many games that haven't been played. I'm trying to be more picky on which games are truly good, deep and deserve my attention, of which I think Hawk fits the bill. I know everyone isn't going to do the same.

Skylifter-1000

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 5:31 pm

The Shiny New Toy syndrome is real, I agree. A steady flow of a few new releases every other month is what keeps players interested.

All the big successful game companies have done it that way, and Hawk should probably start doing that, too. I have seen quite a few games die out exactly because they did not release new stuff on a regular basis. DzC is a good enough game that it'll continue keeping a few people interested, but to get the crowd, it needs more stuff - another faction wouldn't go amiss, and maybe another wave, but released bit by bit by bit.

Then on the other hand, there is a limit to how many new waves of releases a game can take before it becomes inaccessible for new players and and new things become redundant. So being too hasty isn't good, either. Warmachine is kind of dieing out in my area and has been for years, because it just has too much stuff nobody needs.

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 7:41 pm

And that is where re-vamps come into play. Re-making some of the factions, creating new boxes sets, new editions, new campaigns or ways to play. There's always improvements one can make.

I would like to see 1500 or 1000 pt box sets for Dropzone/Fleet. I think that will be part of Hawk's next step in getting players into the game.

Skylifter-1000

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:22 pm

That's actually a nice idea, but didn't they already have bundles like that?

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Yes but they were Web Store only, they need a retail box set.

Gauntlet

PostWed Jun 21, 2017 8:39 pm

I think they just need to kick out a 2nd Edition corebook... then work on a new wave slowly released as suggested here.

A big wait until that 2nd Ed is fine with me... combine it with a new box set or starters and I think things line up nicely.

W0lfBane

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 3:36 am

Yeah i would prefer that hawk not rush out anything just for the sake of having a constant stream of new things. It would be great if hawk could just pace themselves and make the next release last a bit longer but then people would complain about the rules being out but the models not being out. Actually something they could do that would keep players interest and wouldn't lead to model bloat is terrain. If like every 3-4 months they released some sci fi terrain people would be like oh cool i want to play with that on the table.
I also play warmachine and have been pretty annoyed with the constant stream of new models and the GW like decisions recently. So much so that I've been spending all my hobby time on assembling and magnetizing my DZC. (I don't think i enjoy DFC as much as i want to)

MajorMcNicol

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 4:56 am

I would not be surprised if the Fauna packs and more famous commanders from Phase 2 are next up on the release schedule - is that actually be confirmed somewhere, or maybe I misread a post somewhere else on the forum? For Dropfleet, there are the new battlecruisers coming up, too, I think.

But... then what? I love new releases from Hawk, and I admit freely that it's my main source for tabletop wargaming and has been since I started DZC a couple of years ago. It would be nice to have more knowledge about what's coming down the pipe, and it sounds like there will be increased social media presence before long. I'm sure everyone at Hawk deserves a nice vacation!

Like CotW mentioned, a global campaign for Phase 3 would be really cool @__@ but would we want it to adjust the fluff? I'm a big fan of the creator's vision on that side of things. But I'm sure there are ways to fit it in that would be satisfying. I wonder if the Hawk team has the bandwidth to set something like that up. Maybe next summer? Although if I had the choice between a delay in Phase 3 and a global campaign, or Phase 3 coming out sooner, I would probably choose Phase three. I fiend for new fluff!

All mentions of a 6th faction are very exciting to me, as I am sure they are to just about everyone. Sounds like the introduction of another faction and model line is pretty much confirmed. Can't wait for that either!

Even though I have tons to paint, in these "lulls" between new releases for my factions, I do often have to remind myself that it is OK to *not* start a new DZC army....
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:09 am

MajorMcNicol wrote:
Even though I have tons to paint, in these "lulls" between new releases for my factions, I do often have to remind myself that it is OK to *not* start a new DZC army....

It's OK to NOT start a new army......but where is the fun in that?

MajorMcNicol

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 am

samspace wrote:
MajorMcNicol wrote:

It's OK to NOT start a new army......but where is the fun in that?

Damn, you're right!

Time to order a PHR starter
instagram.com/whateverimsealingit

Wargaming Plog: https://andygomez.wordpress.com/

Check out my brother's novel on Amazon: Out From the Chasm by Keenan Cross.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion