It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:33 pm

New Fluff? New Stuff?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Skylifter-1000

Re: New Fluff? New Stuff?

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 am

I don't quite see the need for a second edition, though.

Maybe more like a 1.5, with all the rules neatly in one place and the FAQ and errata included, and stat cards for the units. I would buy the shit out of a pack of stat cards for my factions.

Mike Mee

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 9:56 am

MajorMcNicol wrote:
samspace wrote:
MajorMcNicol wrote:
Even though I have tons to paint, in these "lulls" between new releases for my factions, I do often have to remind myself that it is OK to *not* start a new DZC army....

It's OK to NOT start a new army......but where is the fun in that?

Damn, you're right!

Time to order a PHR starter

(vomits) ;)

Klarg1

PostThu Jun 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Skylifter-1000 wrote:I don't quite see the need for a second edition, though.

Maybe more like a 1.5, with all the rules neatly in one place and the FAQ and errata included, and stat cards for the units. I would buy the shit out of a pack of stat cards for my factions.

The hardcover rulebook was already close to a version 1.2. I think we might still be a year from needing another round of printed updates. (Could be a 1.3, or could be a 2.0)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

westman

PostTue Jun 27, 2017 7:50 pm

Regarding releases I believe Hawk focuses way too much on Famous Commanders, which very few people use/are interested in. Fauna is also niche, will only be interesting for us hardcore fans.

They dont have to release miniatures. Soft releases like story/fluff and missions would be fun.

Gaming wise I would most prefer updated FM rules.

Also, I dont think dzc can or needs to compete with the 40k 8th hype. Give it a couple of months and that will settle down and then everyone plays what they enjoy most.

Novus

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 4:24 pm

westman wrote:Regarding releases I believe Hawk focuses way too much on Famous Commanders, which very few people use/are interested in. Fauna is also niche, will only be interesting for us hardcore fans.

Totally agree. The famous commanders are cool alternate models, but unless you end up being able to use them (the models) in standard games, I (and many others) appear not to care too much. The Hera was great. BOTH a famous commander and a standard command unit!

I haven't touched a game with fauna in it, yet. Looks fun, though.

Gauntlet

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Agreed... I think Famous Commanders should release simultaneously with the rules for them to be used as normal units (like the Broadsword/etc.) to increase their sales appeal out of the gate.

wario

PostWed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm

A new core book with up to date core and all special rules and new/updated scenarios in one place would be very handy. Buying every year a new or updated book at around 20 to 30€/$ is not that deal breaker. It is better than having all info fragmented through erratas, FAQs and supplemental books.

Instead of releasing new units they can update the vanilla units and give them new roles to make them see more often on the table.
Regards,
Wario

Akdakkar

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jun 29, 2017 7:05 am

+1

I think it's time for a rulebook version 2.0. Although the size of the faqs is not excessive it is difficult for new players to make themselves with all the rules and changes

Cameron

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jul 02, 2017 7:59 am

I'm glad that so many people on this thread are on the same page as me. I agree with a lot of what people are saying.

- not excited about fauna or famous commanders. I mostly play competitive games, so these have never been much of a draw except alternate models... and they take Dave's time away from other things.

- fast movers need some tweaks. Make them a bit less random on reserves and coming on the table

- fix demo. I think you could do this with some combination of core rules tweaks (making demo units less versatile), falling masonry tweaks, and re-releasing some of the early scenarios that demo is really dominant on (maybe with more reinforced structures)

Biggest problem with demo lists is that they just aren't very fun to play against, which drives people away from the game.

- go back and fix the 10-15% or so of units that are kind of terrible (Janus, aged ones, etc...)

- release a wave of 1 new fast mover per faction

- do some sort of re-launch of the new player experience. Maybe an alternate starter for each faction with 50% different units in plastic (or maybe just some alternate sculpts for the same units?) and a couple new tightly balanced 500 point scenarios

The starter box experience for DzC is really high quality, but the first gen units in those boxes aren't quite as exciting as all the newer stuff. I think a lot of experienced players would buy into new starter boxes too.

- refocus the growth strategy away from conventions (not scalable) and towards getting small distribution into stores. If you just get rulebooks, terrain kits, and starters on a store's shelf and give them a way to re-order and re-stock in a timely fashion... and integrate the passionate DzC player base into running demos, I think new clusters of players will pop up. As someone mentioned, it's hard to build gaming groups when it's really difficult to find models anywhere.
Live in the Bay Area? Let's play a game

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Cameron wrote:I'm glad that so many people on this thread are on the same page as me. I agree with a lot of what people are saying.

- not excited about fauna or famous commanders. I mostly play competitive games, so these have never been much of a draw except alternate models... and they take Dave's time away from other things.

- fast movers need some tweaks. Make them a bit less random on reserves and coming on the table

- fix demo. I think you could do this with some combination of core rules tweaks (making demo units less versatile), falling masonry tweaks, and re-releasing some of the early scenarios that demo is really dominant on (maybe with more reinforced structures)

Biggest problem with demo lists is that they just aren't very fun to play against, which drives people away from the game.

- go back and fix the 10-15% or so of units that are kind of terrible (Janus, aged ones, etc...)

- release a wave of 1 new fast mover per faction

- do some sort of re-launch of the new player experience. Maybe an alternate starter for each faction with 50% different units in plastic (or maybe just some alternate sculpts for the same units?) and a couple new tightly balanced 500 point scenarios

The starter box experience for DzC is really high quality, but the first gen units in those boxes aren't quite as exciting as all the newer stuff. I think a lot of experienced players would buy into new starter boxes too.

- refocus the growth strategy away from conventions (not scalable) and towards getting small distribution into stores. If you just get rulebooks, terrain kits, and starters on a store's shelf and give them a way to re-order and re-stock in a timely fashion... and integrate the passionate DzC player base into running demos, I think new clusters of players will pop up. As someone mentioned, it's hard to build gaming groups when it's really difficult to find models anywhere.

+1 +1 +1 !
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion