It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 am

Getting out of the city

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Nobody

Getting out of the city

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:49 am

So I realized that, quite frankly, all but one game I've played of Dropzone has been in a city (and that one was in a small desert town using FoW terrain).

So I decided to sit down and take a look at the rulebook missions to see which ones required being in the city to play.

Main rulebook: 4/6 of missions require buildings

Phase 1: 4/6 of missions require buildings

Phase 2: 5/8 of missions require buildings

in essence, unless you want to play a special scenario or homebrew one, you only have a choice of 7 out of 20 missions.

Now I understand that fighting in cities is a big part of the game, but realistically, there are entire sections of the rules that rarely get any use because of this.

And to be honest, I'm getting city fatigue. Next game with my regular opponent we're going to try to use one of the missions that don't require buildings in some farmland.

Anybody else feeling the same?

Major Awesome

Re: Getting out of the city

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 4:04 am

We've done a couple rural-ish games, but be ready because it drastically changes the balance of some units (not bad ways, just very different).

Some suggestions: have building-like areas... Such as cave networks with distinct entrances for infantry, or areas of dense trees. Also have 6" tall pieces of terrain to make aircraft work similarly to the traditional setting. Like tall stands of trees, tall rocky pieces, etc.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Skylifter-1000

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 4:57 am

I don't think most missions need the buildings to be buildings, though. You can just as well search an objective in a dense forest.

I haven't played that many games yet, so I'm not worried about having city fatigue anytime soon, but I do think that one should give other kinds of tables a try now and then. As long as there is a moderate amount of LoS-blocking terrain on the table, and some variation to make use of the actually cool terrain rules, it should work, shouldn't it?

Nobody

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 5:01 am

Major Awesome wrote:We've done a couple rural-ish games, but be ready because it drastically changes the balance of some units (not bad ways, just very different).

Some suggestions: have building-like areas... Such as cave networks with distinct entrances for infantry, or areas of dense trees. Also have 6" tall pieces of terrain to make aircraft work similarly to the traditional setting. Like tall stands of trees, tall rocky pieces, etc.

One thought I had with this was to house rule that the "To The Deck" roll did not apply outside of an urban environment. My thought here is that the roll refers to the aircraft colliding with power lines, traffic lights, streetlights, balconies, etc which would be much more common in an urban environment. Granted, these all exist outside of the city (along with trees), but it'd be much less common to the point where it'd be virtually ignorable.

I had been considering the idea with the dense trees for buildings, and other ideas for infantry, but I wanted to try with the base rules first before I started looking at adding in house rules to play with.

Defaint_2k

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 3:30 pm

I don't have the rulebook here right know but i think forest are handeld like buildings and that you can't fly over them.
I think read something like that in the mainrulebook. But actually i know the Feeling you describe and here begins the trouble. I a pretty much sure that 100% of the units in the game are balanced for a urban envoirment, which leads simply to exchange buildings against feral terrain which has the same properties..... I would like to play in a complete Scourge buildings Manifested gameboard. This would cut my City blues....

Novus

PostWed Jul 05, 2017 5:59 pm

We've done it here with 4" forests and at least one 30DP building on each side of the table. Things we've found:

1. Scourge skimmers get a raw deal as they can't enter forests where PHR and other walker units can hide and gain cover. This depends on how you set up the rules for forests, of course. But as I remember, Chris Loomis took this right out of the MRB.

2. PHR get a big leg up unless there are a bunch of small forests (structure sized footprint) or a few very large ones (dinner plate sized). They just shoot too far for a battle on the plains to be fair.

3. There are no official CQB rules for troops fighting in the open (or non-structure terrain, at least). So, by RAW, all of your troops will be shooting at each other rather than punching each other. You'll have to consider how you handle that very carefully as the unit that shoots first typically wipes the other unit pretty handily. We did the old base-to-base contact triggers CQB (which is remarkably hard to achieve with just a 2" move inside a 6" diameter forest with the enemy on the other side of the grove). You kill each other too fast for the CQB distance to be closed.

4. Rural totally changes the game for most armies as Demo becomes useless. If you rely on Demo, you probably won't like rural. But, you will learn a lot about other tactics and ways to win!

We asked Simon at LVO 2016 what he would do for rural rules and he said he'd just model forests and treat them like buildings. Not the answer we were looking for, but it does solve many of the issues above.

This is a link to a related post on a rural scenario that Chris Loomis came up with for one of our local tournaments...

http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6944

chrisloomis13

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 3:27 am

noooooVUUSSSS!! Why have you summoned me?!

To the OP, it is really hard to get a rural game to work with the rules as is. It's not that you can't, but it's very awkward.
I found the rules for the terrain to be half baked and in need of some polishing.

Missions that allow vehicles to score are also great. There are few in the book; I've made one that worked, and JD's (AZ's?) mission are good for this as they do not require buildings. I've had other ideas in this regard, but I file them more under "new missions to make DZC more dynamic".

I think these reasons are why you get a lot of "use some buildings or counts-as buildings", which as Novus mentioned, is not something I really wanted.

If I get back to this game I'd like to try a different force org chart, swapping the mandatory infantry group for a mandatory 2nd standard group. I really think there is a missed opportunity here, as even just these few changes and a polishing of the rules for terrain could provide with a whole other way of playing the game. It'd be akin to how GW did Cities of Death. "Fields of Derp"?
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

Astral Templar

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Defaint_2k wrote:I would like to play in a complete Scourge buildings Manifested gameboard. This would cut my City blues....

I would also like to play in a variety of city terrain. On the battlefields I fought over the buildings look surprisingly intact and entirely Human.

Looking in the Reconquest 1 book I see Elysium would be the world most adaptable for open terrain with designer notes to help. Maybe fighting at the edge of a city with a mix of urban and open terrain would work and solve any problems.
"There's a horror movie call Alien!? That's offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you." - The Doctor

Novus

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 5:12 pm

chrisloomis13 wrote:noooooVUUSSSS!! Why have you summoned me?!

^^^ This made me laugh. Can you be summoned to the table, too? Must I sacrifice a bucket of chicken and drink a cup of blood orange soda?

Suzume

PostThu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 pm

Lot of people tend to go rural, I'd say caves, industrial zones, volcanic foundries, dockyards, space stations... there are lots of 'building included' environments that would provide tons of diversity, and I'd aim people toward those first, as they all work really well with existing rules.

Rural can also be done, I just think it's less necessary/exciting, personally. It's good for missions like the monorail, though.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.
Next

Return to General Discussion