It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:36 pm

TTCombat aquires Hawk?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

stormbringer

Re: TTCombat aquires Hawk?

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 am

I have been told TT Combat are from the Troll Trader family? If correct then​ i am happy with the deal.

Beyond TTC being a safe pair of hands, I am pleased to see Dave now focusing on what he does best i.e games design! Let's hope the future is bright!

PS happy for 2nd version to be delayed until April, hopefully gives hawk time to iron out any rules imbalances.
PPS forget a 3rd game, I want a 6th faction! :)

j. r. logan

Hawk Talon

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 9:13 pm

I think with the acquisition of Hawkwargames by TTCombat we might be overlooking one very importing thing. DZC and DFC have been under Dave developmental control for unit design and rule and game play for the past 5 year and he has done a very fine job of it. What we need to be asking is how much control will Dave be giving up over that part of the game? As we all know if the model are cool but the rule are bad or start to get out of control player will start pull away from the game. I for one would much rather let Dave keep control over the rule and unit design and wait for the product to come to market than to have product and bad rules to play them with.
Adepticon 2015 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 2500pts 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 1500pts 9th/20
Gen Con 2016 5th/25
Adepticon 2017 11th/18
Hawk Talon

purplehoob

Hawk Talon

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 11:27 am

I think that there is so much we don't know right now.

However I also think that hawk, or whatever it's called at the moment need to move relatively fast.

Nothing kills a game quicker than rumours and inaction.

I love hawk games because they are different and have a lot of love and care in them we shall have to just wait and see.

Lordprinceps

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 3:43 pm

I'm of the belief as of now that Hawk is remaining as it's own entity as a subsidiary within TT, with its own autonomy as to game design and development and TT just being the parent company handling the actual business side of things, based on comments and responses I've seen on the Kickstarter and Facebook. I'm assuming this means that dave and co get to keep doing their thing as they otherwise would have, without significant interference from TT.

However, I do agree that an explicit statement should be given. For example, how much of Hawk's team is staying on with the acquisition, does Dave still own the IP / have full creative control, will Hawk exist as an entity enough that we'll still have its logo on everything, if the Hawk website will remain for the foreseeable future, whether Hawk will have their own booth still at conventions going forward, etc etc. Basically, whether this'll be the standard "distributor/developer" relationship or not.

I'm positive there's got to be some special considerations and stipulations with this, seeing as how large and well-developed the D*C games are.

Klarg1

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm

purplehoob wrote:I think that there is so much we don't know right now.

However I also think that hawk, or whatever it's called at the moment need to move relatively fast.

Nothing kills a game quicker than rumours and inaction.

I love hawk games because they are different and have a lot of love and care in them we shall have to just wait and see.

I'm with you there.

We only have the initial announcement, so far, and it doesn't say much other than "Dave is sticking around". We'll just have to wait and see.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

j. r. logan

Hawk Talon

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 12:00 am

After speaking with a local USA store owner about this his concern is that TTCombat does not have any good US distributors so it will make it hard for him to get product to sell to his customer. Do we know if TTCombat is going to keep dealing with Hawks US distributors or only use the one they have been?
Adepticon 2015 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 2500pts 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 1500pts 9th/20
Gen Con 2016 5th/25
Adepticon 2017 11th/18
Hawk Talon

Nobody

PostSun Nov 05, 2017 1:37 am

j. r. logan wrote:After speaking with a local USA store owner about this his concern is that TTCombat does not have any good US distributors so it will make it hard for him to get product to sell to his customer. Do we know if TTCombat is going to keep dealing with Hawks US distributors or only use the one they have been?

That's the big question mark.

I've been told that TTCombat is a part of Kingsley Distribution, which is primarily European but claims to serve some stores in the US.

TTCombatDan

Site Admin

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 am

Hello Everyone,

After reading through there seems to be alot of concerns and hopefully i can alleviate some of these for you.

TTCombat is indeed part of the Troll Trader Group,
Troll Trader LTD started out as a online retailer for wargaming products and have been going strong in that area for several years now. Due to the high levels of stock we maintain we started receiving requests to stock other stores and set up Kingsley Distribution which is our trade division and have been increasing our network for the past few years. Although we have not got major US distribution it is one of our key goals for 2018 and having been in communication with the network hawk used we have added this to ours and will continue growing this so all our products are easily accessible to everyone.

TTCombat was created as a review site and started branching out into MDF scenery and found that we where better at this and has progressed from there focusing on becoming the design and manufacturing division of the Troll Trader Group. Our primary range has been MDF scenery and have only recently entered the realm of games design.
The first game we worked on was our original game Rumbleslam which saw release earlier this year, during this time we where also working on the new version of Carnevale after taking over after the closure of Vesper-on games which has achieved a successful Kickstarter and will see general release in 2018.
And recently we have gained Relics, Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet Commander and will be working on these alongside our other projects.

Although relatively new to the game design scene we have expanded our staff drastically this past year from 13 to 48 and looking to increase to around 100 once our new production facility has finished construction early next year. This has allowed us to increase our manufacturing ability across all our ranged drastically already and bring in several talented members to the team to ensure we are developing well, as a company we have a scary amount of years experience in war gaming and plenty of experience with design, manufacturing, distribution and general business practices and as we continue to grow we will gain even more.

David has been integrated into the TTCombat design team and has been made the project lead for Dropzone and Dropfleet so his work will consist of miniature design and rules development, so the games will continue just the way they did before but with significantly increased production allowing everyone to get the nice new toys. Other members of the hawk team have also been integrated into TTCombat and continuing to work within their respective roles, others unfortunately where let go and although there are reasons for this decision (which was not taken lightly) we have avoided discussion regarding this due to its sensitive nature for those involved.

In order to make sure that V2 is the best it can be we pushed back its release so David could finish his work on it without rushing it, with his time being taken up with business matters these past months he was unable to dedicate enough time to the design aspects, now he is part of the TTCombat design team he can focus solely on those aspects and complete V2 the way he originally envisioned.

At the start of 2018 we will be looking to introduce the new Talon Program and go through a new recruitment process for others to join the ranks, at the moment we have our hands tied with the fulfilment of the outstanding webstore and KS orders and repairing the distribution network but are looking to get some plans sorted very soon.

Apologies for the essay but hopefully this clear up a few points we understand many of you are hesitant or unsure about the future of these games but we intend to make them bigger than ever before and for people to be playing them for many more years to come.

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 2:30 pm

Don't apologize for the essay! I personally appreciate the large info dump. It's reassuring to see a robust response hitting on the points brought up. Looking forward to seeing more info in the coming months!

BlackLegion

PostWed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 pm

This reads promising :)
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion