It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Anyone ? Doomtrain yet?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Defaint_2k

Anyone ? Doomtrain yet?

PostTue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 pm

https://www.hawkwargames.com/

Most consern is a third game tho...... If they start like Spartan Games i am out a here

Gauntlet

Re: Anyone ? Doomtrain yet?

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 am

Well... what do you expect?

As a new acquisition, it isn't comforting or a good idea to tell people "WE PLAN ON DOING NOTHING FOR A WHILE". SO basically they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. All things being equal, telling us "more cool shit one day!" is a good idea.

For a third game... I hope:

A) Not a 28mm battle game.
B) If skirmish based... more of a boardgame style about CQB ala Space Hulk
C) Otherwise, a full-on "Reconquest" Boardgame relating to the whole war and universe might be really interesting!

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 3:19 am

I also hope it is not 28mm. Infinity and 40k have that scale locked down and I know I will never be able to break that hold unless the models are both stunning and dirt cheap.

I'd be curious if they went larger scale. Have a 54mm squad vs squad game could be interesting with the models being a big draw for those who are more into painting than gaming.

A board game would not be a terrible idea and I think the core worlds make a great setting for one.

Coste

Hawk Talon

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 7:04 am

I completly dissagree with the 28mm hate,
Almost everybody got loads of 28mm terrain. I would love to use 28mm scale Dropverse minis to battle as long as the rules are as inventive as in DzC and DfC. I already use the Ares mini as Dropverse tribute within my infinity terrain range and many Infinity players have asked where it comes from. But I would believe such a game to lie many years ahead, 2020 stuff. I know most players in my local area would love such a game and would not mind having a other 28mm game, as we get loads of them, already. And why? Because we got so much 28mm terrain. 20mm games tips us of cause we already got 6/10/15/28mm terrain. An other scale, such as GW new Epic range - that turns people of. If I can cross use my Saga terrain with Bolt Action, Dust, AoS and KoW just as I can with 40k, Infinity and so forth. My 15mm range work with FoW, BFaS, TY and FoF.
This would only encourage the use of multi-scale battle scenarios and campaign.

If you wish to only play 40k/Infinity you wont be forced to play "Droptrooper" but it sure as hell will get more people hyped for the Dropverse. There are more game than can be counted and new ones come all the time. Stop being game-conservative like my "amish"-friend who only play oldhammer 6th ed xD

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 7:35 pm

You make a great point about the terrain issue for many gamers. 28mm would be easy to step into for most people. The issue I see is that the game likely won't bring anything new to the table which is what you need to do to get converts. Say it is a CQB focused building clearing game. That is a niche that hasn't been fully tapped but is not all that different from what Infinity does (although I admit I could see it being different enough, problem being that my vision wouldn't work with existing terrain collections proper scale or not). 40k is a joke as far as I am concerned when it comes to rules and army lists based on what I have seen at tournaments since 8th launched but so many people play it that you can walk into any game store for a pickup game, something that Drop Universe games won't do for a long time yet.

I would aim at the board game crowd and have a multi planet invasion/counter invasion type game with awesome tokens if I was going to add a 3rd game. I know lots of board gamers who are not table top gamers but a compelling setting with cool tokens and a direct link to the other games might sway some over to our side.

Shikatanai

PostWed Oct 25, 2017 9:57 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:Say it is a CQB focused building clearing game.

I think exactly that would be awesome. A Infantry based Skirmisher inside abuilding. Should not be that much effort to throw out some modular scenary / buildings and it would still be affordable as the model count would be relatively low. It would all stand or fall with the ruleset but I think there is a lot of potential for such an approach.

Lordprinceps

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:06 am

Only problem I can see is how you'd reasonably do a CQC skirmish game. Since it all takes place inside multi-storied, dense buildings, verticality would be an immensely important aspect of it, and there's no easy way to do that while allowing for line of sight to be used, without having to deal with the horror that is 3d cell/square/cube abstraction.

Coste

Hawk Talon

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:31 am

What if it was a 28mm played on a small 2x2 table, a tip to the Ambush Alley style ^_^

I would say Infinity does its thing great, I have played it for years and arrange tournaments for it as well. What turns most people of from Infinity, from my experience, is the activation mechanic and use of "cheer-leaders," a system that first turned me off but got me hooked when I tried it. But it for sure turns away a lot of old Mordheim players and such. There is potential here for sure.

Lordprinceps

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 4:38 am

Oh, I'm sure something like Infinity is possible, but even then it's not really "breaching and clearing functional, densely packed, multi-story structures."

There's a difference between having a shootout across some atrium with maybe two stories, and actually having your four teams of Legionaries and two teams of Praetorians having to make their way through tight hallways, cramped rooms, and even popping shots off through walls, floors, or ceilings. I just don't think there's really a way to get across the claustrophobic CQC that infantry fighting in DZC is said to be.

Shikatanai

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 6:34 am

Lordprinceps wrote:Oh, I'm sure something like Infinity is possible, but even then it's not really "breaching and clearing functional, densely packed, multi-story structures."

There's a difference between having a shootout across some atrium with maybe two stories, and actually having your four teams of Legionaries and two teams of Praetorians having to make their way through tight hallways, cramped rooms, and even popping shots off through walls, floors, or ceilings. I just don't think there's really a way to get across the claustrophobic CQC that infantry fighting in DZC is said to be.

Well you need to abstract this for sure but I think it would be possible. E.g. You play over 3 different building levels while you play one after each other securing key spots (e.g. stairs?!) giving you advantages. Just a quick Idea. Or split a 48x72 table in thirds for different sections...
I think Dave could work something out that plays great :)
Next

Return to General Discussion