It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:22 am

Anyone ? Doomtrain yet?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Lordprinceps

Re: Anyone ? Doomtrain yet?

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 7:41 am

Oh yeah, it's entirely possible, but I personally feel like it'd be far too clunky in a system where (I assume) line of sight, cover actually covering units, etc etc, is extremely important to the game.

For instance; can you imagine having to draw the line of sight from, say, a legionaire overlooking a 3rd floor balcony, trying to shoot at a warrior hiding on the ground floor atrium? Since all the building floors would be split into separate "maps", you'd have to measure the near-exact height at which the Legionaire is, find their coordinates on the foundation of the building, and then draw a line from that high up on the ground floor to see if they can even see the warrior, and that's a relatively simple scenario!
It'd become massively more complicated if there were, say, a walkway or something spanning the atrium on the second floor that could possibly break line of sight.

Now, it's not unfair to assume that this could be reasonably abstracted away, but then it wouldn't be quite a "tactical 28 mm (or however tall) CQC game". Environments like what CQC takes place in are, by their nature, incredibly awkward and messy to work in, and abstracting all that away runs the risk of getting rid of what makes inside CQC tactical squad games so appealing.

I don't know, I may just be overlooking a rather simple solution, and I probably am!

Gauntlet

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 12:12 pm

I think you might be able to work it out using custom floor roles that use specific spaces that determine line of sight and cover... Similar to tannhauser or the original Dust games.

I think the game would need to be a hybrid board game to be done right. Which does open it up to co-op experiences notably...

Klarg1

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 2:21 pm

Lordprinceps wrote:Only problem I can see is how you'd reasonably do a CQC skirmish game. Since it all takes place inside multi-storied, dense buildings, verticality would be an immensely important aspect of it, and there's no easy way to do that while allowing for line of sight to be used, without having to deal with the horror that is 3d cell/square/cube abstraction.

I could see it as a pretty darned spectacular CMON-style boardgame, slightly resembling Zombiecide, only head-to-head, rather than cooperative.

You could have multiple boards for multiple levels.

Pro: Would not be a direct competitor to Infinity
Con: Would not be a full-on miniatures game
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm on board with this board game style CQB game idea. I think Something smaller in scope and faster in play is the logical next step for the setting. I love me a good game of Zone or Fleet but it'd be nice to get a game in in 60-90 minutes every now and again.

Terrain could be as simple as AVP style tiles you lay out to design your table and engagements could be based on a floor by floor basis. So my 10 Immortals and your 15 Legionnaires are all that's on this level and this fight will be over before the rest of the infantry in the building show up.

BlackLegion

PostThu Oct 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Maybe it could be like the old Battletroops game from the Battletech universe?

Maninblue

PostSun Oct 29, 2017 3:23 pm

While we’re on a nostalgia trip, it could be like Advancd Space Crusade... which was all about scouting through a tyranid hive ship looking for vital organs. Exploration was abstracted until you hit a skirmish (Scout groups vs ambush blips) or an objective (main body vs defensive blips)... at which point you laid out the tactical map.
So you had an echo of a chess game as the two posture forces against each other and pulling your troops out of an ambush felt like a win.
I say an echo, because it wasn’t a great game, in honesty... but the idea of UCM or PHR infiltrating a Scourge-infested complex looking for critical information seems logical.
It could remove the need for individual fights to be balanced because you’re gathering information about your enemy’s deployment and it takes time to redeploy them against you engaging in a different direction.
Also, Razorworm attacks could be awesome big monster/boss encounters. :)
Dave 2 / Man in Blue
~ "Something he disagreed with ate him."

lothlanathorian

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

So are we not addressing the fact that there isn't a third game and that was mis-announced? Or are we just going to wishhammer on what we'd want a Hawk 28mm game to be?

On that second point, I'd like to see it more in 32mm (see: Infinity) and would prefer it to be on a smaller board. 3x3 or 2x2. Also, with the alternating activations play style that both systems have thus far, I can imagine we'd see that integrated into a skirmish game, as well.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.

Lordprinceps

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 3:32 pm

lothlanathorian wrote:So are we not addressing the fact that there isn't a third game and that was mis-announced? Or are we just going to wishhammer on what we'd want a Hawk 28mm game to be?

I had assumed that there wasn't actually going to be a third game, but source?

lothlanathorian

PostMon Oct 30, 2017 10:24 pm

I'll have to look, [removed for inaccuracy].

EDIT: It must have been in the DzC/DfC FB group. I'll go digging some more, but I know I saw it.

EDIT 2: I can't seem to find it, but I know I read it. I'll continue digging, though, because now I think I'm going insane.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.

Grauenacht

PostTue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 am

My wallet can't handle another game system, but I hope they would release some more factions for DZC.
If they still decide to make a 3th Commander game, a board game hybrid would be nice, where you could conquer whole territories with even smaller miniatures then DZC, this could then tie in with the other Commander games.
-=IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING IDIOTPROOF, THEY KEEP MAKING BETTER IDIOTS=-
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion