It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm

My random hopes for new edition...

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Gauntlet

My random hopes for new edition...

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I think the forum is a bit too quiet... so my effort to stir a pot.

Personally I'm excited for the new edition, and I'm fine with them waiting until April... I think that gives time to Dave and Company to re-evaluate and do even more play-testing.

I know they've said before that the current expansion books would still be valid/required but I hope...

1) All units, and special rules in ONE book... I'd love everything else too... but the unit stats matter most. We are all sick of carrying multiple books and this is an opportunity to consolidate for now.

2) Flame Weapons. I really hope these become more viable and specifically I think they should target a squad and not a specific unit/base. My group has played with all current stats, but allowed "carry over casualties" from one base to the next in a squad and it makes Flame weapons more palatable... certainly not amazing, but usable.

3) Elimination of Focal Points... Critical Locations only.

4) Radically... I think it might be fine to reduce Game Rounds to 5, and have scoring at rounds 3 and 5. Honestly... I think this is a better suggestion for DropFleet... but I digress.

5) I actually would prefer CQB happen between game rounds, but I can take it or leave it I guess.

annnnndddd ...I love what they are doing with Fast Movers...

Carrington

Re: My random hopes for new edition...

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 8:32 pm

Gauntlet throws down a...

Oh, never mind.

Gauntlet

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:51 am

Ha. Perhaps I just slap people with a white glove instead...

Klarg1

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:50 pm

Not sure how I feel about the reduction in game length.

It would accelerate tournament play, but it would also make the opportunity cost of actions that prevent you from shooting that much higher. (in DzC 1.1, the biggest of these is relocating a unit via drop ship)

I also fear that it would punish a slow PHR army even more for how long it takes them to reach critical locations. (or FP's if they remain)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Gauntlet

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 3:57 pm

Fair... Though

1) if drop and shoot remains in almost any form, your opportunity cost is lower than assumed perhaps.

2) are PHR slow actually? Depends... Not so much these days... Could be easily rectified with a little stat boosting.

3) fair to be unsure... Its not like DZC round 6 is meaningless (whereas in DFC the game is often able to be called at round 4.)

Perhaps it could be tied to scenarios as well.

Shikatanai

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Gauntlet wrote:3) fair to be unsure... Its not like DZC round 6 is meaningless (whereas in DFC the game is often able to be called at round 4.)

There are also a lot of games where the result in DFC shifts a lot during T5 and T6... in my experience most games that are definetly called on T4 are either list missmatches, huge outplays (both fine for me personally) or lucky card draws. I'd never remove T6 ;)

Gauntlet

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Well, we differ. I find round 6 of DFC especially tough because the game is legnthier to play than DZC.

At any rate. Thoughts on flamers?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostFri Nov 10, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Focal Points either, Critical Locations are much more interesting. They are an interesting item in the Intel missions though, Critical Locations don't make an impact but Focal Points popping up randomly are much more interesting as it gives both players time to try and claim them.

From FB it sounds like they are planning to do an online living rulebook of some kind which is something I've wanted for both games. Just hope it doesn't take forever to implement and it is actually updated when FAQ's/Errata come up.

As a beta tester I'm very happy with the direction the game seems to be going in. Can't comment too much more than that but most of the issues my gaming communities have had with the game are going to be addressed in some way.

Mostly I just want people to be able to buy the new edition easier than it has been previously. Hopefully thier NA/Canadian distribution will be handled well. I noticed some improvement last couple months but previous years have been hard.

stevefamine

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Cry of the Wind wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Focal Points either, Critical Locations are much more interesting. They are an interesting item in the Intel missions though, Critical Locations don't make an impact but Focal Points popping up randomly are much more interesting as it gives both players time to try and claim them.

From FB it sounds like they are planning to do an online living rulebook of some kind which is something I've wanted for both games. Just hope it doesn't take forever to implement and it is actually updated when FAQ's/Errata come up.

As a beta tester I'm very happy with the direction the game seems to be going in. Can't comment too much more than that but most of the issues my gaming communities have had with the game are going to be addressed in some way.

Mostly I just want people to be able to buy the new edition easier than it has been previously. Hopefully thier NA/Canadian distribution will be handled well. I noticed some improvement last couple months but previous years have been hard.

I actually like Drop and Shoot right now. I need a chance of pace so I'm unloading my UCM and Scourge and trying a new faction to get a different feel for the game.

I'm interested to see how the new edition is - with Resistance.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Bold move stevefamine :lol: I'm looking forward to using my Scourge more in the new edition. UCM will always be my home faction but I see a lot of things that will make me play Scourge more often!
Next

Return to General Discussion