It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:27 am

TTCombat Q/A --- FAQ Video

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Gauntlet

TTCombat Q/A --- FAQ Video

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 am

Just thought I'd post here a little synopsis on their new video.

V2.0 of DZC delayed, possibly to 2019
Expansion book and new units to be released soon instead of V2.0
New expansion book may include DFC Destroyers/Etc. This was not clear to me
New Centurion stats for DFC
New Princess Liner scenarios for DFC
Open beta rules for DZC 2.0 around Adepticon, IE, late March
Talon Program still kinda on delay, but will soon get some attention, and will be relabeled as TTCorporal or such
They are doubling their warehouse space
They will be hosting a "Invasion" tournament as "TTCon"
Will be present at Adepticon

...and they have no plans to support the forum/s and basically told us to use the Facebook Community Page

Fascinating news, I think I got it all?

stormbringer

Re: TTCombat Q/A --- FAQ Video

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 9:12 am

Yeah, matches my recollection.

On the assumption the "phase 2a" is decent and no later than uk games expo, I am generally happy; but​ I think the decision to let the forum drift is a big mistake for the following reasons:

1) Facebook has limited functionality for filing / starting detailed threads, importing FFOR army lists etc
2) i hate Facebook's intrusiveness​ and refuse to use it after my account was hacked and changed to Cantonese!
3) the reason the forums​ are quiet is because hawk let dropzone drift for a long time. If TTcombat had a look at the volume and times of posting, they would see a strong correlation between lot's of posting activity at the times​ hawk were properly supporting the game and engaging with the community.

I hope that TTcombat will reconsider the forum issue when they start getting their house in order (i.e catching up on their​ "to do" list they infer in the video)

Anyway, that's my opinion.

I wish TTcombat the best, I am 100% behind them and cheering for their success- but they can't afford to mess up the next 6-12 months or dropzone will be dead. :cry:

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 10:36 am

From a rule perspective I don´t mind the delay as the Centurion shows that TTCombbat is new to DFC and DZC rules and balance (which is understandable) so taking time might result in them getting the hang of both games, or at least their rule team.
From a player perspective it prolongs the new edition limbo which is terrible, as it is unattractive for new players to at very least buy the rule books, as those might be old and unusable soon. Also for people who got their armies a stale meta is little reason to buy to many new models.

The open beta is a good idea though I doubt they can handle the amount of feedback, so I think this approach is useful for making players happy and satisfying their curiosity and creating interest in the game that might fade away if people where simply told "wait some time maybe until 2019" but coupled with their reliance on Facebook I doubt this will generate any in depth feedback. I hope either their rule team familiarises with the games more then it did with the Centurion or they revive the Talon programm and get help from there as any of those is necessary ideally both.

Abandoning the forum is a sad move though I don´t use facebook and won´t just for TT Combat, and as others stated it has issues with preserving certain discussions or topics in an easily accessible way. I understand that their main focus in communication was there but not using the forum at all saddens me.

Lastly thanks for sharing the info with those not on Facebook Gauntlet and stormbringer.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

stormbringer

PostSat Mar 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Lorn wrote:Abandoning the forum is a sad move though I don´t use facebook and won´t just for TT Combat, and as others stated it has issues with preserving certain discussions or topics in an easily accessible way. I understand that their main focus in communication was there but not using the forum at all saddens me.

Lastly thanks for sharing the info with those not on Facebook Gauntlet and stormbringer.

You're very welcome, Lorn. I hope to attend the UK Games Expo again this summer, so I will speak with TT combat there and see if they might revise their position on the forum. All we can do petition them and hope they are prepared to listen!

Gauntlet

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 am

SO... I'm pretty annoyed about their opinion on the forum. I highly recommend anyone who cares about more meaningful discussion of DZC and DFC bug them on Facebook about this.

At minimum, I think they can:

A) Move the forum to their own hosted site, and re-brand, and kill what's left of the Hawk Wargames site. I'm amazed how slow they've been at this.

B) Pick some community members to be moderators.

C) Explain they won't officially announce stuff on the forums... or Do. The idea that they will rely on a single thread of Facebook for meaningful announcements is pretty odd to me... anyone with even a little marketing experience understands that they have to communicate across multiple platforms... and that YES its annoying.

Nobody

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 am

Gauntlet wrote:SO... I'm pretty annoyed about their opinion on the forum. I highly recommend anyone who cares about more meaningful discussion of DZC and DFC bug them on Facebook about this.

At minimum, I think they can:

A) Move the forum to their own hosted site, and re-brand, and kill what's left of the Hawk Wargames site. I'm amazed how slow they've been at this.

B) Pick some community members to be moderators.

C) Explain they won't officially announce stuff on the forums... or Do. The idea that they will rely on a single thread of Facebook for meaningful announcements is pretty odd to me... anyone with even a little marketing experience understands that they have to communicate across multiple platforms... and that YES its annoying.

It's not entirely unprecedented, Games Workshop did it years ago (mainly because of the negative feedback they were getting there), and Privateer Press shut down most of their community stuff recently as well (there are a few forums left for them though, like for CiD (new factions/faction rewrites) and rules queries). Interestingly, PP likely did it for the same reason as GW given it coincided with their choice to shut down the Press Ganger (their version of Talons) program.

The end result was that forums still exist, run by fans and outside gaming sites (Dakka for GW, Lormahordes for Warmachine/Hordes), that these companies have very little ability to influence.

Metal_Oida

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:52 pm

I just have to state that I consider a "facebook only" policy as a slap in the customers face.
Don´t they have money for a forum or a properly maintained homepage like every reliable company?

The fact that I don´t use facebook at all (for several resaons) is one thing... using facebook as primary channel for a companies announcements is such a bad habit nowadays.

For me Dropzone (and Dropfleet) Commander was (were... are.. whatever) the game of my choice for several reasons. One of which is/was HawkWargame´s proximity to the community. TTC will lose that (at least for me) when they go facebooking... a bit like hawk did before it´s downfall, but they seemed to habe been overextended to some degree... I thought that was the reason they only gave updates on facebook.

my two cents...

p.s.: OMG, I just watched the video... these are the guys who bought my beloved games?! 36 Min for Information that can be given in 5 Min... keep it short and simple... and not on facebook... and so much insecurity in their bodylanguage... are they sure about what they are doing?

Klarg1

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 pm

I was mostly irked that it was all released as video.

As much as video is all the rage these days, some things can be done quickly, and succinctly as text. (Or both, if that's best.)
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

BwanaJoe

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 4:39 am

Well, stick a fork in it, it’s done. While DZC, etc may soldier on, it will be relagated to a niche game at best. GW is the exception in all this because they were already the 800 pound gorilla on the block. They could get away using dumping forums and going to FB. (Which is trneding down btw) The best thing about Hawk, to me, was their interaction on this site. I’d never seen a game company answer rule queries and constantly engage the commuity to keep their games balanced as did Hawk. Was it perfect? No, but sure seems to be a darn site better than this announcement. I was hoping they would have done what War Cradle did with the Spartan forums and sucked it in wholesale. Couple this with their atrocious website and it's a whole bowl of not good.

purplehoob

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 8:35 am

I made my way through the 2nd broadcast.

It was jumpy laggy and like you said of the the first one they could have just answered the questions in a Q & A.

For me the most important announcement was that Talons are done. We and anyone else can reapply in July and there will be something that replaces it but they are not sure yet.

Ok I get that but you already have a network in place that can just run with it if you just engage us with some dialog.

They said that they already have been working with some ex Talons and have some favorites, pardon me but you do run a business and you do want to make money.

Favorites and working with people you like should not come into it. I work with people I hate but I do it.

All along I have been asking for Talon support or something to allow me to generate some enthusiasm I keep getting told we dont do that or you have to ask us.

I spend my money at companies that make me feel welcome and allow me to be part of something social in wargaming.

I don't feel that its the same, before someone jumps in with its TT not Hawk, I get that as well but its Dropzone Commander and Dropfleet that I am worried about not who runs the game.

I should not have to chase a company to get something, to get my local shop to restock I was told get him to ask us and we might do it. The bottom line here is money.

You keep me happy I spend money, you make me unhappy I spend money on necromunda or something else.

You cant just rely on me continuing to do support for the demos and tell people about this game. If they cant get models or I keep having to tell them I dont know when that is coming or even a no thats not going to happen they wont like that.

Damn I am ranting on again, in summary, I will still play with the stuff I have and I have a lot of stuff but I wont promote the game to anyone as I fell that I cant. Hawk had problems but I never felt that they just wanted my money. I feel a bit like like now.
Next

Return to General Discussion