It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 9:37 pm

Another forum?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

BwanaJoe

Another forum?

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 3:37 am

So, if TT Combat are shutting down this place in the future and are not migrating it over, is there another DZC forum out there? Personally I can’t stand Facebook for anything other than announcements. I’m hoping there is someplace else to ask questions or see modeling projects, etc.

Nobody

Re: Another forum?

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 am

Not really, I know there's a few people on Dakkadakka but there's no dedicated DZC/DFC forum.

There was talk of a Talon run forum, but now that the Talon program is going away I have no idea what the final resolution is.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 6:55 am

We should organise a forum ourselves.

Does anyone have experience in setting up a forum?

I've sent TTCombat a PM on Facebook to get details of the current forum, it's software, where it's currently hosted, etc. Aim is to set up the same software on a hosted server under a new domain name, then import the database. Hopefully they'll be supportive of the idea.

Trouble is, it needs to be hosted somewhere which costs money. I'd be willing to chip in for it every so often but we'd have to collaboratively pay for it. I doubt TTCombat would give any funding for it though it wouldn't hurt to ask.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

juz

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:18 am

this...if costed out we could look at the long term ..+1 happy to pocket dip to maintian a non-fakebook forum

BwanaJoe

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 10:53 am

Check out Wingsofwar.org; it is the Wings of Glory forum. It is member supported and funded (although the designer hangs out there). The guy who runs things is named Keith. I’ve got zero experience running such things but I’m sure he would be glad to explain the setup. You could drop him a line Sword.

Maverick

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 6:04 pm

If this forum isn't going to be supported, I'm all for a new forum. It's pretty difficult if new members want to join but cannot because no one is at the door to let them in. I for one don't like facebook and won't be using it.

I find it hard to believe that TT doesn't even want to host the official forum and use forum moderators. Hosting a forum will cost very little or nil for TT since they already have a website to host. Maybe TT would be willing to host the site if that is all they have to do.

If not, then I would be willing to help if I can. My wife does website design and if you have questions, I could ask very nicely for answers.
Winter is coming

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 9:21 pm

BwanaJoe wrote:Check out Wingsofwar.org; it is the Wings of Glory forum. It is member supported and funded (although the designer hangs out there). The guy who runs things is named Keith. I’ve got zero experience running such things but I’m sure he would be glad to explain the setup. You could drop him a line Sword.

OK great tip. Thanks, I'll do that.

purplehoob

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 6:26 am

I have run forums, I have moderate forums and I am sure there are quite a few others here Luke me.

We could if asked work something out, I don't want to see the forum die but I need to be sure. It seem less than enthusiastic about forums and frankly their commication with most of the community apart from favorite s makes hawk look good.

Abrusio

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 8:04 am

Looks like this particular forum is based on phpbb, it is very popular tech. This means that it is easy to find a free hosting solution like the one used by the french Dropzone community of which I am one of the administrator (it is very quiet at the moment as it suffered the same fate as this one, only on a smaller user base).

EXPORTING THE CURRENT FORUM

It shouldn't be too hard to export the current forum database (that's where the users and all the posts are) but it may not be easy or straightforward to import them in a free hosted forum. But realistically I don't see TTcombat doing it for several reasons :
- it needs someone familiar with server administration and/or database administration to do it and administrator level rights on the server.
- they may want to keep it for themselves especially if they are not fond of the idea of forums.
- the real reason should be that it is not a good idea to give a database export like that to complete strangers as it contains thousands of emails, names and so on. It would be better for everyone to destroy it than to "lose" a copy.

Nevertheless, If someone they know (like one of the Talon they "favor") could persuade them to do it, and also have the blessings of the forum community, it could work.

If they were willing to export and give the forum database to the community, it would require a paid hosting solution to be able to import the database. It can be as cheap as 50$/year, or even less, but I can't tell how would be the performances.

FORUM REBOOT

Just pick a free forum host and a few administrators that are willing to invest a subsequent part of their time in doing the job. Advice : it shouldn't all depend on a single person, it's better to a have a small team, in case someone has to drop.

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks, guys, that's extremely helpful. Yes, this forum uses phpbb.

TTCombat have responded to my message and put me in touch with their web developer. She is very helpful and TTCombat are very happy with the idea for selected players to take over the forum.

However, they are still waiting for the person who ran this forum for Hawk to hand over the previous domains and forum database. That hasn't happened yet.

So right now, we either wait for that happen or we set up a new forum from scratch. What does everyone want to do? I feel if the hand over hasn't happened yet, it may never happen sadly.

I'm very happy to co-ordinate setting up a new forum but I need several mature and responsible people (preferrably former Talons but not essential) to help administer and run any such forum. I'm also happy for someone else with more experience than me to step in a take over the co-ordination. We can discuss in this thread or PM me.

This is a private initiative so TTCombat are not a source of funding for it. I have no experience in free hosting and didn't realise we had that as an option, Abrusio. That would help a lot, assuming performance is decent. Let's deal with that once we canvass interest for becoming admins.

I'll put up a post on the DZC and DFC Facebook groups linking to this thread so anyone who's interested can see this discussion. So hopefully some of you will volunteer to be admins: juz, Maverick, purplehoob, Abrusio. And hopefully other regular posters who've helped sustain this forum in the past.
Next

Return to General Discussion