It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:08 am

Another forum?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

CheeseCake1128

Re: Another forum?

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:23 pm

I don't really have anything helpful to suggest I'm afraid, but I love the idea of a new forum! Hopefully if nothing else I can provide motivation and appreciation for those who know how these things work! :D
- CheeseCake1128

stormbringer

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 10:33 pm

I doff my cap to those already volunteering time and money.

But I do wonder why TTCombat cannot at least pay for the website hosting? We are only a small community at present ( let's hope we start expanding as TTCombat gets on top of things!), and I worry that goodwill may get used up if dropzone doesn't have a good 6-12 months?

I presume the web hosting costs are modest for a company like TTCombat and probably tax deductible? I think they could generate a lot of goodwill with such a move.......

Anyway, just my thoughts.

I love dropzone and want it, and TTCombat, to thrive! :)

Brunius

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 11:48 pm

Gauntlet wrote:I'm shocked how blase/unconcerned TT has been.

It seems from comments in the DZC Facebook group link to this thread that TT believes a purely facebook-based community interaction is enough. I disagree - often posts in Facebook groups get lost really quickly, as well as excluding a fair portion of the community because they don't want to feed their personal info to a large company.

BwanaJoe

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:31 am

Well, they don’t have to spend any money that way. Other than that, there is only one other reason, no bad press. Anyone who wants in-depth discussions and a good searching functions uses forums.

Gauntlet

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 4:03 am

Eh. Its likely a lot less Machiavellian than that. Its ultimately a matter of the people involved simply not being the type of people who use forums (anymore) in their life, and not wanting to make the effort.

Frankly, more and more, I'm seeing a very small company that is struggling to manage all that they have bitten off... at least in terms of communication and community. So I understand their desire to simply "not deal with" a forum.

A fair compromise is that they do what most companies do... host a forum, give users moderation and even some admin rights, and then just leave it be and don't bother with official announcements on the forum and continue on their merry way with Facebook.

Honestly. I'm fine with that, very rarely did Hawk directly engage with the forums and there were pretty poor at maintaining announcements here at most times.

The DIRT CHEAPNESS of hosting a forum is an issue for them, or frankly... most of us. We spend hundreds of dollars on our small toys, we can easily afford a forum and so can they... its obviously more about them not wanting US to hold them responsible for any forum management/etc.

WizardLizard

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 7:12 am

Given that hosting a forum is so cheap it will be much better for the community rather than having TT pay the hosting. A forum requires a diverse range of opinions and viewpoints to work and if the parent company effectively owns the forum that could be restricted. This can also be the case if a single individual 'owns' the forum (just look at Warseer....)

Far better for the community to pay for and police itself.

For the same reason there also needs to be clear, transparent and equitable rules for admins that are enforced and if needs be periodically reviewed. Bad admins kill forums quicker than just about anything else.

For funding how about setting up a Patreon account for the forum with the excess revenues raised (if any...) going towards supporting tournaments and funding community events?

Nodri

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:38 am

To those of you who are willing to shoulder the responsibility of this forum and run with it - Thank you.

I remember when The Hot LZ was the only Dropzone forum. It was community run with Hawk's endorsement and seemed to go well until this one was up and running and it became redundant. I have no doubt that a future community-run forum can work too if there's enough interest.

If those of you who will be creating the new forum need any support on the hobby front, either with preserving old content or creating new stuff, please me know.
Passion has little to do with euphoria and everything to do with patience. It is not about feeling good. It is about endurance. Like patience, passion comes from the same Latin root: pati. It does not mean to flow with exuberance. It means to suffer.

BwanaJoe

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Gauntlet wrote:Eh. Its likely a lot less Machiavellian than that. Its ultimately a matter of the people involved simply not being the type of people who use forums (anymore) in their life, and not wanting to make the effort.

That is, by far, the explanation that makes the most sense if it isn’t money or control. Sheer laziness, I’ll buy that. :D

BwanaJoe

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Nodri wrote:I remember when The Hot LZ was the only Dropzone forum. It was community run with Hawk's endorsement and seemed to go well until this one was up and running and it became redundant.

I hadn’t heard of this one. If it is still around would it easier to point there? Grab the good stuff and repost?

LocalHoRst

PostTue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 pm

Uh, this board will be shut down? :(
Some years ago I raised a community on Google+, but the Facebook community is bigger and more active.
Hawk answered me on my request to join, that they are mostly active on Facebook.

We definitely need a board like this. Facebook is no option to me. I quit on FB years ago.
My personal painting blog: http://www.local-horst.com
My Google+ Community for Dropzone Commander: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/117639337020334364837
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion