It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:44 pm

OPEN BETA feedback tread!

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

OPEN BETA feedback tread!

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 5:49 pm

Hi People,

Any feedback on the rules? Post them here!

Gave fun gaming!

Cheers, Michel
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: OPEN BETA feedback tread!

PostMon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Approach types don´t work with Shaltari and I have my doubts about them in regards to Hovercrafts. Frankly I find them highly unnecessary.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 12:48 pm

Lorn and how would you do it? What is your suggestion?
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Cut that part out as it is impossible balance due to gates and adds nothing to the game. I like the rest of the Beta so far.

W0lfBane

PostTue Apr 24, 2018 11:50 pm

Define what you mean by main body. I don't want any ambiguity especially when it comes to spindily appendage large models

stormbringer

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 4:10 pm

So, obviously, the Beta rules are not always going to mesh with what's in the existing books.

1) For example, "Dispersed Formation" isn't in the rules. Do we still use that rule from the original books?

2) "Airburst" is a new rule; is this meant to change the PHR Manslayer from a flame weapon or augment it, or neither? My reading would be to play as it is in the current errata? (although setting fire to buildings from 48" away is clearly going to be very powerful if spammed!)

3) Also Eviscerators, now have the Bloodthirsty searching penalty- should we apply the "reckless abandon" penalty on top of this?

4) I've only just played Beta rules and seen 1 battle between mates but the Fast Mover rules look like they need more work and I certainly won't be using them in their current form.

5) I also agree with Lorn re: approach types.

6) Other than that, i like that you cannot "bunny hop" with drop n shoot and it seems like a nice refresh of the rules on first play testing.

Gonefishing

PostWed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 pm

+ 2 With Lorn and Storm on approach types...seems a bit pointless?

stormbringer wrote:2) "Airburst" is a new rule; is this meant to change the PHR Manslayer from a flame weapon or augment it, or neither? My reading would be to play as it is in the current errata? (although setting fire to buildings from 48" away is clearly going to be very powerful if spammed!)

Cheers Storm, had not noticed the airburst double damage rule!...Sadly though as it stands the Manslayer is called an airburst weapon, but does not actually have the airburst rule - so will have to leave as is. ;)

I don't think you will have to worry overmuch about overspammed manslayers though (even now flamers are vastly improved), its pretty well balanced internally in the PHR list. You can only take the manslayer in a support slot, and it's only effective as an anti infantry weapon/slow building demo.

With Beta, not taking a transport is punished - so PHR are spending more points on Neptune's (which still aren't great, but open transports makes them a lot more palatable), and anti air is now extremely important. On top of the extra points spent in these areas you still need to bring in your HQ / Anti Tank / Infantry, so you don't really have the points left to go massive on Manslayers. If you do, your going to be scrimping somewhere else which will leave you lacking in other areas.

And while they are now good anti infantry and 2 could start 2 fires a turn, they aren't going to cause that much more building demo/collateral than long range demo weapons - so it does even out.

Still loving the new rules overall, feels really fresh and interesting right now. Hopefully they will release the updated units too though.

Holdnpattern

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 11:00 am

SO after one read though how about those new fastmover rules.

First, Im all for change to get airstrikes into the game, but to me there seems two things that might act to disincentivise taking these miniatures, despite all the effort to get them more use.
First: Only being able to intercept an airstrike at the point just before the ‘to be intercepted’ target fires seems artificially restrictive opposed to the old system of anywhere on the flight path. Given you have to role for the intercept (3+) and this new restriction makes the intercept point predicable it makes intercepts risky and more predictable. This might work against the appeal of fast movers?

Second: not being able to use fast movers for the first 2 turns seems less appealing compared to the increasing chances of showing up in the current rules (with some chance of getting a early show). The threat of early game surprise is gone, taking some of the physiological fun from fastmovers. Also if there is only 6 turns, then your nice miniatures have no chance of use more than 2/3 of the time.

Did I get this right? What do others think about this?

PS. hate to sound negative out the gate so it is worth saying the rules are otherwise looking healthy.

Gonefishing

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Yeah, I agree on the Fast Movers....they seem a bit...Meh.

I love the Athena, under the old rules I often took 2 and relied on them as a significant part of my AA defence for my list. But I can only imagine (Given their already high cost) that an attack run will cost 55 / 60 pts....which for one turn of action (possibly 2 if your feeling lucky) isnt a great return. Athena's can be amazing, but they can also fail hard (4's to hit) -yes, they have the stealth Cruise missiles which are more accurate but mostly your taking them for the rail repeaters. I just cant see them reliably doing enough to justify taking them with only 1 bite of the cherry on offer.

As Holdn say's - part of the fun is the possibility of a potential turn 1 arrival, and when they are on for multiple turns you stand a fairly decent chance of them turning up and getting at least one good turn (unless they get shot down)....(or never turn up lol). That as was, is worth a 135 point risk. As is, its not worth a single 50+ point leap of faith.

Far better to just keep the air wing option (or move them to support), keep the random arrival in place and add the extra VP's for killing them, and have them stay on the table when they come on but give them a minimum move.

That so far is one of my only two major quibbles with the rules, the other is the transport boost to searching for objectives...which seems a bit much...(add in some mercury drones for example and you could be 3'upping on a objective in a large building on your first roll - and as written I am not sure Shaltari get the bonus?)

Love the rest of them though

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Apr 26, 2018 7:04 pm

Keep in mind though that T1 FM cannot be countered by normal AA as it is bound to transports and cannot drop and shoot in V2. In V1 you could have walk on AA which could deal with an early FM. Insofar I personally find that at very least T1 should be free from FM in particular if it is only a random chance to get it.

Though I wish the units and their points would be part of the open Beta, as I can understand that it is hard to judge the effectiveness of FM without the point cost for the runs.

Next

Return to General Discussion