It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Dropfleet Commander - Reasonable Inferences

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Nightwolf

Dropfleet Commander - Reasonable Inferences

PostWed Jan 21, 2015 11:21 pm

While our knowledge of Dropfleet system mechanics is virtually non-existant, I feel we can make a number of inferences given what we do know and what the lore says.

What we know:

1) Some ships will nest egg. Hawk mentioned previously that larger ships will act as FTL jump transports for smaller vessels without FTL capability.
2) Scourge ships will have passive countermeasures given the fluff in the core rulebook and PHR have already miniaturized shielding to the degree that it works on the Zeus.
3)UCM Fleets currently have a numerical advantage in the setting.
4)Missile weapons have low ranges due to powerful active countermeasures.
5)The smallest UCM ships utilize laser weaponry as seen on the Avenger.

What we can infer:

1a) I think we can safely infer that this mechanic would be unnecessary if all ships were to start on the board. I assume then that ships will likely "jump" (move) onto the table much like units in a standard game of DZC. I also think it is also safe to assume that larger vessels (like battleships and dreadnoughts) will have FTL themselves and will not need to be transported.
2a)Assuming mechanics remain anything remotely similar to DZC, then taking saves will be far more common. Shaltari shields are likely quite good, followed somewhere between by Scourge and PHR, with UCM tailing in last.
3a)UCM will likely make up for technological differences with numerical superiority. Their ships might have tough hulls, but I feel like we could see a toss up in the realm of faction toughness. With shields likely playing a far more important defensive role than actual hull strength.
4a)Torpedos, much like the missile weapons on the battlefield, are likely out as long range weapons. Active countermeasures will make them obsolete in all but the closest range engagements.
5a)To be honest I am not sure how directed energy weapons will work. My original guess would have been range bands of short conventional munitions like torpedos, to mid range mass drivers, and long range lasers, but my knowledge of lasers and their effectiveness in space at range is quite limited.

Total guesses:
1)Beyond trying to get ground units onto planets it might be possible that we will see orbital station assaults. Attempting to acquire key orbital platforms and space-stations. This could be done in a similar fashion as CQB in buildings in DZC.

So, what are everyone elses thoughts on the matter?

Suzume

Re: Dropfleet Commander - Reasonable Inferences

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 3:23 am

Reasonable inference... I'm going to freak out so hard when we get more info, because BFG is still my favorite GW game of all time.
15-4-3
Nova Open 2015 DZC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, Jan 2016 DZC: 2nd
Huzzah Hobbies, May 2016 DZC: 3rd
Nova Open 2016 DZC: 3rd
Origins 2017: DZC: 2nd
Origins 2017: DFC: 3rd
Huzzah Hobbies, July 2017 DZC: 2nd

I like type 1s and bronze medals.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:57 am

I have absolutely no idea what to expect, other than my sincere and, I think, reasonable expectation that Dropfleet will be at least "even better" than BFG, given that Andy Chambers has the benefit of 12-ish years of feedback and reflection on BFG and what worked well, and what he would do better; and David's track record is so far pretty damned good; and they seem to have been play testing the ever loving crap out of it, so, yeah, I dont think my expectations are too high... :lol:
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Thunderboy

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Nice summery Nightwolf.
For Humanity!
26th at Autum Invasion 2016

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 22, 2015 6:32 pm

I'm excited

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

HwakRob

PostFri Jan 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I want Hawk to allow you to use the Ships in Dropzone like what Epic Ea does. So charge up those Orbits Bombardments

Decoys

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 7:44 am

They could use torpedos at long range. The Honour Harrington series of books actually has good ideas with regards to torpedos and countermeasures.

Firstly the Torpedos are massive and take a serious hit to remove, Secondly they use ECM in there torpedos to make them harder to target with countermeasure fire, Also they accelerate to very high speeds before entering countermeasure range making the window of engagement small, and finally they cover something already represented in dropzone and that is sheer volume of fire to overwhelm countermeasures. (countermeasures could very well work like turrets from BFG)

Nightwolf

PostSun Jan 25, 2015 8:32 am

Decoys wrote:Firstly the Torpedos are massive and take a serious hit to remove, Secondly they use ECM in there torpedos to make them harder to target with countermeasure fire, Also they accelerate to very high speeds before entering countermeasure range making the window of engagement small, and finally they cover something already represented in dropzone and that is sheer volume of fire to overwhelm countermeasures. (countermeasures could very well work like turrets from BFG)

That is a really interesting idea that I had not considered. :D

gregor19d

PostSun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

If I remember correctly, part of the reason for reduced range in dropzone is because of the halo satellites deployed over the battlefield to stop ordnance fired from beyond los. A fleet just entering the system wouldn't benefit from this kind of system, so missile weapons would probably be more effective than their ground based counterparts. That being said I could also see some form of energy weapons or massive rail gun battery's being a capital ships main armament. I liked battlefleet gothic and am really excited for dropfleet.

Simon

PostMon Feb 02, 2015 12:55 am

you guys will hear a lot more about it at Salute!
Next

Return to General Discussion