It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:18 am

JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Re: JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostFri Mar 04, 2016 9:57 pm

Haven't played this yet but it sounds awesome in theory. I am in favour of the 3rd and 6th turn scoring rather than even turns. I will try to convince my next opponent to try this one out with me!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSat Mar 05, 2016 7:54 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:Haven't played this yet but it sounds awesome in theory. I am in favour of the 3rd and 6th turn scoring rather than even turns. I will try to convince my next opponent to try this one out with me!

Cool.

But please try it scoring on even turns, even if you do also try a game of it scoring on turns 3 and 6, too. It's designed to get both players moving, even PHR, and by scoring turns 2, 4 and 6 it makes for a very mobile game, that also lets you set up for the "next" even turn.

I just don't think scoring on turns 3 and 6 is enough, but try it if you want to, of course, just please also try it the way it is written. Then providing your feedback on both ways will be greatly appreciated...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Mar 08, 2016 10:29 pm

With any luck I will be able to get in both versions next time I get a chance to play. I would go for classic first and see how it feels then try the 3 and 6 scoring. In any event thanks for creating what looks to be an interesting scenario!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 19, 2016 10:52 pm

Bump, and I've updated the original post to put the latest rules in the OP.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:21 am

Bump.

Hey, Liam, what about including this in the next Dropzone book? It's very popular in Arizona and the Bay Area... ;)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 08, 2017 7:38 am

Shameless bump...

Seriously, give this a try, folks! :-D

...Go to the OP...

W0lfBane

PostTue May 09, 2017 4:20 am

Have you considered updating the scenario now that critical locations exist?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 09, 2017 5:37 am

I'll admit I haven't tried this out yet despite my previous enthusiam for the mission. Dropfleet took over the local area and I didn't want to spring it on our Dropzone players tournament without playtesting. New local doesn't play Dropzone anymore but if I can change that I will give it a go.

I think it works better on paper just using it as is and not changing them to critical locations or scoring each turn or anything like that.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 09, 2017 8:25 am

W0lfBane wrote:Have you considered updating the scenario now that critical locations exist?

I have, and I prefer to leave them as they are, that they score as Focal Points do, but on Turns 2, 4 and 6, and not just 6, because of how they move away from whomever controlled them on that turn. If they were CLs, then you could "push" yours right into the opponent who only has to wait for them to come to him, and can get a free point, negating the point you worked hard to get.

So, they definitely work better as scoring 2 VPs for controlling and 1 VP for contesting within a 6" radius at the end of the even turns.

But, try them as CLs, and see what you think. I only ask that you try the scenario as-is first... ;)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue May 09, 2017 8:29 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:I'll admit I haven't tried this out yet despite my previous enthusiam for the mission. Dropfleet took over the local area and I didn't want to spring it on our Dropzone players tournament without playtesting. New local doesn't play Dropzone anymore but if I can change that I will give it a go.

Yeah, it's a good idea for folks to get at least one practice game in before facing it in a tournament setting, so they get used to scoring on the even turns, and the mechanics of moving the FPs...

I think it works better on paper just using it as is and not changing them to critical locations or scoring each turn or anything like that.

Yup. Works just fine as is.

But be sure you get the Deployment Zones right -- 6" up from each corner and 18" in from each corner. It's important! And there is a Deployment Step.

Previous

Return to General Discussion