It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:38 am

JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostSun Jul 05, 2015 3:39 am

Hey, Folks.

A friend of mine, who happens to have a bachelors degree in game design, has helped me put together some new custom scenarios for casual and tournament play. The goal behind these scenarios is to remove all (or most) of the randomness that can be found in scenarios that contain objectives, intel, etc, where a bad roll or two can wreck a well generaled game. We have not been able to play test this one yet, but I think the concept behind it is sound. [Edit: We've now played this one many times, and used it in several local tournaments -- it works great!]

Please give these a read, and let us know your thoughts on them, and if they tickle your fancy, give them a try!

The following are the updated rules for the custom scenario:

Battlefront

You are pushing the battlefront deep into enemy territory in an effort to take ground. The problem is, the enemy is trying to do the same thing!
    Army Roster: Standard (both players)
      Setup:
    • 3 Focal Points placed along the center line 12" apart.
    --------------------------------|||||DZ|||||

................................................. 1/4 Line

..........FP..........FP..........FP.......... Center Line

................................................. 1/4 Line

|||||DZ|||||-------------------------------
    (^18"X6" Deploy-
    ment Zone)

Duration: 6 Turns
      Deployment:
    • 2 players.
    • 18" Deployment Zone extending from the lower left corner of each player's board edge and 6" forward onto the board. All squads may deploy in this Deployment Zone prior to the first turn, but remember that any squad embarked on an aircraft must begin the game In Readiness. Fast Movers begin the game In Reserve.
      Scenario Rules:
    • Focal Points are scored as usual except they are scored at the end of every EVEN turn (i.e. the end of Turn 2, Turn 4 and Turn 6).
    • Infantry in structures score 2X their points towards a Focal Point that that structure is within 6" of. Infantry squads outside of a structure score their base points towards a Focal Point. Infantry still embarked on their transport do not score any points at all.
    • Once each focal point has been scored during the Roundup Phase, it moves 12" directly away (perpendicular to) the controlling player's board edge towards the other player's board edge.
    • Focal Points never leave the table (at most each could end up directly at a player's board edge).
      For example, if Player 1 had controlled the Western FP at the End of Turn 2, and Player 2 had controlled the Central and Eastern FPs at the End of Turn 2, the board would then look like this at the End of Turn 2/Start of Turn 3, and would stay that way until the End of Turn 4, when the FPs were scored for the second of three times, and then the FPs would be moved again before the Start of Turn 5:
    --------------------------------|||||DZ|||||

........................FP..........FP......... 1/4 Line

................................................. Center Line

..........FP.................................... 1/4 Line

|||||DZ|||||-------------------------------
      Victory Conditions:
    • The player with the most Victory Points at the end of Turn 6 wins. A draw is possible.

EDIT: I've added a "dot diagram" to the OP to try to illustrate where to place the Focal Points during Setup. Hope it helps...

EDIT2: I've added a second dot diagram to show how the board might look at the end of Turn 2, after the FPs were scored and then moved.

EDIT3: I've updated the rules on this OP so that it contains the latest rules, which occur later in this topic. I was concerned that folks would read the OP and not go deeper into the topic, and therefore not get the latest rules. Also, please note that these are still Focal Points, and not Critical Locations, so you still score them with units within 6" of them, and you also still score them at the end of every EVEN turn (so at the end of Turns 2, 4 and 6 (the end of the game)).
Last edited by J.D. Welch on Mon May 08, 2017 7:42 am, edited 10 times in total.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostSun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 am

I've added a "dot diagram" to the OP to try to illustrate where to place the Focal Points during Setup. Hope it helps...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Shadow Broker

Re: Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostSun Jul 05, 2015 11:34 am

That mission sound very cool, however I would make these suggestions:
-12" may be to much because your models aren't that fast
-while a focal point is in one players table half, that player shouldn't score victory points for that point or otherwise he could just "wait" in his site for the focal point to move to him if he cant reach it while in the middle (and the enemy don't have a chance to reach it because its 12" away). OR the number of victory points scored for the focal point is based on its location: 2VP when its in the middle and +1 after every time its moved and its in your enemys half, -1 if every time it moved while its in your half.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostSun Jul 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Remember that a unit only needs to be within 6" of a FP in order to contribute its points towards scoring it. Also, you only score VPs for the FP on even turns. So if you position your unit(s) on the opponent's side of the FP on turn 2 and it moves 12" at the start of Turn 3, most units have a pretty good chance of "catching up" to it and being within 6" of it on turn 4. And for slower units, like PHR walkers, this encourages you to keep their dropships nearby, and alive, so that they can effect a "bunny hop" to get into position to score VPs at the end of the next even turn. Alternatively, you shoot the enemy units to oblivion with your slower units and get a faster asset downfield to score the VPs.

Also, consider this: You decide to get aggressive and want to control at least one of the FPs at the end of turn 2, after which it moves 12" directly away from you (from its starting point to a spot 12" away). You may not be able to get enough assets down there to control that FP on turn 4, but your opponent does, and then the FP moves 12" back towards your board edge, away from your opponent's board edge, back to its original position on the Center Line, where you have a cluster of your assets waiting to control it when turn 6 rolls around... :D

There's a lot of ways that this scenario could play out, depending on who decides to get aggressive and who decides to sit back. You need a mix of both to score the most VPs (2 for controlling, 1 for contesting) at the end of each even turn for all 3 FPs.

Try it a couple of times as is, with a different mix of armies, and see how it goes...

yoink101

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 4:02 am

J.D. Welch wrote:
    Scenario Rules:
  • Focal points are scored as usual except they are scored at the end of every even turn.
  • Once each focal point has been scored during the Roundup Phase, it moves 12" directly away (perpendicular to) the controlling player's board edge towards the other player's board edge.
  • Focal points never leave the table (at most each could end up directly at a player's board edge.

I really like scoring focal points each turn, and I also really like the idea of them moving around. It makes for some interesting dynamics.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 am

yoink101 wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:
    Scenario Rules:
  • Focal points are scored as usual except they are scored at the end of every even turn.
  • Focal points never leave the table (at most each could end up directly at a player's board edge.

I really like scoring focal points each turn, and I also really like the idea of them moving around. It makes for some interesting dynamics.

Thanks!

But remember, you don't score the FPs each turn, you score them at the end of every even turn.

I'll update the OP to emphasize that...

Yes, the dynamics should be very interesting. Won't get to test #2 or #3 until after this coming Saturday (7/11), but really looking forward to it. In the meantime, if you or anyone else gets to try these out, please post a reply on the Topic for that scenario and let us know how you liked it!

Egge

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 6:19 pm

I like it. Of the three missions you took out this is the one most interesting and in my opinion by far the best. With only calculating even turns might be a little hassle. In our Planet fall we found turn 3 and 6 being fine. I think that would be enough in this mission. Or we could change planet fall to even turns.

Again it would be cool if they could be destroyed somehow. Or damaged or something. To stay in the DZC theme.

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Very nice!

I just suggest that the amount of Focal points be based on the game type. 3 FPs may be way too much for <1000 game.
How about Skirmish 2, Clash 3, Battle 4 Focal points?

Also, to unoptimize min/maxers, I suggest the FP be scored under 4", and moved 12". That way, you wont be able to keep the unit within 6", and not have to move it after the FP moved 12" to your side.

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 6:03 am

Egge wrote:I like it. Of the three missions you took out this is the one most interesting and in my opinion by far the best. With only calculating even turns might be a little hassle. In our Planet fall we found turn 3 and 6 being fine. I think that would be enough in this mission. Or we could change planet fall to even turns.

Again it would be cool if they could be destroyed somehow. Or damaged or something. To stay in the DZC theme.

Thanks.

As for possibly destroying them, FPs in the open are not able to be destroyed now, only if they were in a building and the building was destroyed. So, these should start in the open, but if a 12" push away from the player that scores them results in a FP being in a building for 2 turns, then I see no reason why you couldn't try to destroy that building and the FP with it... ;)

Also, with your Push The Line mission, we found that only scoring the FPs on turns 3 and 6 made it too difficult for the player who didn't push the line on turn 3 to even win by turn 6. It just was too difficult to pull out a victory if you took (or ended up with) the role of Defender. We feel that scoring every Even turn prevents super fast factions from scoring too fast (that is, if they could score it Turn 1), and it keeps things bouncing back and forth at a good pace; having scoring on every even turn lets you try to set up for a move, but you have to execute quickly and flawlessly or your plans might not work out how you thought they would, and then you have to be ready to execute the next stage of the operation, which is What are you going to do turns 3 & 4 so that you can score the optimal number of VPs on the turn 4 score, but still be set up to score as much as possible on Turn 6? So there's a lot of thinking ahead combined with reacting to the unfolding situations around each FP, and it should keep both players on their toes! :D
Last edited by J.D. Welch on Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 6:15 am

wowskyguy wrote:Very nice!

I just suggest that the amount of Focal points be based on the game type. 3 FPs may be way too much for <1000 game.
How about Skirmish 2, Clash 3, Battle 4 Focal points?

Also, to unoptimize min/maxers, I suggest the FP be scored under 4", and moved 12". That way, you wont be able to keep the unit within 6", and not have to move it after the FP moved 12" to your side.

Cheers,

Thanks.

Yes, 2 FPs for Skirmish, 3 FPs for Clash and 4 FPs for Battle is a good idea. I won't update the OP with that, just leave it here, and folks will pick that up.

The problem with your second suggestion is that it changes how you score on FPs, and we're trying to avoid changing the existing rules for existing things. That's why the "movable objectives" in "Evacuation" were specifically given a new name, "Evacuation Vehicles". Also, if a vehicle were positioned as you suggest, there really could only be one vehicle that would be within 6" of a FP on Turn 2 and then still be within 6" of that FP after it moved 12", since all measurements are taken from the center of a vehicle, and we've included Focal Points in that ruling as well. That prevents people from using funky shaped objects as FPs and getting janky with measuring to see if they score on it. So, everything is measured from center to center, and since that results in a circle surrounding the FP, only one model could occupy a point on the circumference of that circle on Turn 2, for example, and still be on the circumference of the new circle after the FP moved 12" straight away from the controlling player's board edge; and, that would have to be some pretty amazingly precise measurements! ;)

Please give this and the others a try as they are, and see what happens over the course of several games, with several different armies, and let us know on this topic what worked, what didn't, and whether any faction got screwed by the rules as they stand now...

Next

Return to General Discussion