It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Egge

Re: JDW's Custom Scenario #2: Battlefront

PostWed Jul 08, 2015 6:41 am

Ah, I compared the mission to our planet fall mission (normal focal points you score turn 3 and 6) whereas "Push the line!" is a little more "cool scenario".

With the scoring system of scoring turn 2 and forward we felt the slow armies had a problem turn 2. Turn 3 and 6 felt more right. With this mission I think Turn 3 and 6 would work as if one player push all three focal they will be very much in the lead but will have a hard time taking all the advantages.

With three movement of the focal points they will theoretical end up in the center most of the times and with the last turn then most likely being the determining round at the center you could just as well just have scoring in turn 6 and get pretty much the same result. A little poorly written but I hope how I mean.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jul 14, 2015 6:31 am

Anybody tried this one yet?...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Aug 19, 2015 4:39 am

I'm going to try this mission out tomorrow with DarkNite, see how it goes for scoring, to see if it needs to be tuned before I use it in the September 12th tournament. I will be playing PHR, not sure what he will be using, but he's been using his PHR recently, so one way or another we'll see if this scenario is a problem for the "slow" faction...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 20, 2015 6:17 am

Darryl and I play tested this scenario tonight, and it worked out pretty well. We both played PHR, with me being very mobile and Darryl walking almost everything on. I won 13-12 VPs, but Darryl had me on kill points, so in a tournament this would've resulted in a score of 11 Tournament Points for me and 9 TPs for Darryl, which is a good thing, I think. So, you'll see ithis scenario in our tournament on September 12th.

It worked out very well to score the three Focal Points every even turn. Remember that each FP moves 12" directly away from the board edge of the player that controls it. And also, that you only score 2 VPs for controlling a FP, and 1 VP for contesting it, per the Hawk Tournament Pack rules.

To give you a quick run down, I had a very mobile force, with everything but my Nemesis in a dropship. This allowed me to press forward and score the left and right FPs on Turn 2, but Darryl controlled the middle one, so after turn 2 the score was 5-4 in my favor, and the left and right FPs moved 12" towards Darryl's board edge, while the middle one moved 12" towards mine. Then, after turn 4, I controlled the one on my left and in the center, but Darryl controlled the one on my right (I contested it), and he contested the one on the left, but had nothing near the middle one, so the turn 4 scoring was 5 VPs for me and 3 VPs for Darryl, and the cumulative score after turn 4 was 10-7 in my favor. The FP on my left then moved 12" towards Darryl's board edge, which put it right on his board edge, and the one in the center moved back to the middle of the board, while the one on my right moved back to the center line. At the end of Turn 6, I controlled the one on my left and Darryl contested it, Darryl controlled the one on my right and I contested that one, but Darryl controlled the one in the center and I had nothing nearby, as my last surviving Ares had to go the opposite direction to get a shot on Darryl's Nemesis to put the coup de grace on it to ensure I won the one on my left. So the turn 6 scoring was 3 VPs for me and 5 VPs for Darryl, with the final score 13-12 and a win for me.

If I had scooted my Ares over towards the center FP, Darryl would still have controlled it with me contesting, and I likely wouldn't have been able to finish off his Nemesis, so he would've controlled that one on my left, too, with me contesting, so the final score would've likely been a 13-13 draw. (In retrospect I had two Helios over in the neighborhood of Darryl's Nemesis, but I wasn't sure both of them could get close enough so that either could unload on it, and the shots would've likely been Hull Down, so it was more certain that the Ares would finish off his boss; if I had gambled that the Helios would do the job in a later activation, there was still a chance that the Immortals in the tall building the Ares was behind could've taken it out with their Longreach Rifles, and if not I would've won 14-12 if the Helios had come thru, so I guess I cheated myself out of one VP and therefore one TP, but that's how it goes, better the surer win than the draw, I suppose..,)

All in all, the scenario worked the way it was supposed to. It remains to be seen how other factions would end up against each other, but the way this scenario works, it would draw Shaltari forward, which means gates become vital, and Ocelots & Caiman are losing some shots. Scourge might just get hyper-aggressive, but then the other player can castle up as the FPs move towards him, and be able to pick off the advancing Scourge forces. Resistance could have some Drill shenanigans, but there's so many different ways to build a Resistance list that there's just as many possible outcomes. UCM tend to be air-heavy these days, which is a liability when you have to score FPs, so I guess they could go for attrition, but not sure how that would work out for them. Certainly this scenario favors a Phoenix commander for the UCM, or at least a Condor for a Kodiak, and the Ferrum is going to have to trundle forward and try to get close enough to a FP turn 4 to score it; or, just set up in the right place and let the FP come to it for a guaranteed turn 6 control, if it's still alive by then, I suppose...

Also, it's very important that the FPs can not be destroyed (Egge!)! The shifting of all three FPs away from whomever controls them at the end of each even turn is vital to the way this scenario works! ;)

Anyway, please try this scenario out as it is (anyone!), if you get the chance, and let me know how you do!

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 am

Hey, folks.

Here is the updated version of this scenario. Please note that now there is a Deployment Zone, and therefore a Deployment Phase; and also that Infantry in structures score 2X their their points towards a Focal Point that that structure is within 6" of.

Hey, Folks.

I've made a slight modification to the custom scenario Battlefront. That is that there will now be a Deployment Zone that extends from the lower left corner of each players board edge 18" to the right, and 6" up onto the board.

This is because some drive-on armies, especially Scourge, would have a very difficult time scoring even 1 VP for contesting any of the Focal Points along the center line of the board on Turn 2, and after some more playtesting we have figured that a board-edge Deployment Zone should solve that problem for all armies.

Here is the revised scenario rules:

The following are the rules for the custom scenario:

Battlefront

You are pushing the battlefront deep into enemy territory in an effort to take ground. The problem is, the enemy is trying to do the same thing!
    Army Roster: Standard (both players)
      Setup:
    • 3 Focal Points placed along the center line 12" apart.
    --------------------------------|||||DZ|||||

................................................. 1/4 Line

..........FP..........FP..........FP.......... Center Line

................................................. 1/4 Line

|||||DZ|||||-------------------------------
    (^18"X6" Deploy-
    ment Zone)

Duration: 6 Turns
      Deployment:
    • 2 players.
    • 18" Deployment Zone extending from the lower left corner of each player's board edge and 6" forward onto the board. All squads may deploy in this Deployment Zone prior to the first turn, but remember that any squad embarked on an aircraft must begin the game In Readiness. Fast Movers begin the game In Reserve.
      Scenario Rules:
    • Focal Points are scored as usual except they are scored at the end of every EVEN turn (i.e. the end of Turn 2, Turn 4 and Turn 6).
    • Infantry in structures score 2X their points towards a Focal Point that that structure is within 6" of. Infantry squads outside of a structure score their base points towards a Focal Point.
    • Once each focal point has been scored during the Roundup Phase, it moves 12" directly away (perpendicular to) the controlling player's board edge towards the other player's board edge.
    • Focal Points never leave the table (at most each could end up directly at a player's board edge).
      For example, if Player 1 had controlled the Western FP at the End of Turn 2, and Player 2 had controlled the Central and Eastern FPs at the End of Turn 2, the board would then look like this at the End of Turn 2/Start of Turn 3, and would stay that way until the End of Turn 4, when the FPs were scored for the second of three times, and then the FPs would be moved again before the Start of Turn 5:
    --------------------------------|||||DZ|||||

........................FP..........FP......... 1/4 Line

................................................. Center Line

..........FP.................................... 1/4 Line

|||||DZ|||||-------------------------------
      Victory Conditions:
    • The player with the most Victory Points at the end of Turn 6 wins. A draw is possible.

Please let me know if you have any questions...

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Played it last Saturday. 1500 UCM vs Scourge.

UCM 13Vp, 689 kill points
Scourge 19Vp, 725 kill points
It was a good game

We had some fun. Scourge played very aggressive and managed to score 3 focal points at the end of round 2. UCM scored only partially one focal, so starting score Scourge 9, UCM 1. Infantry in buildings were vital to Scourge scoring.

By the end of round 4 the situation was reversed, UCM scored 9 and Scourge scored only 1. Then all focal points were back to the middle board and Scourge presence was heavy. UCM had several tanks on the table, but the Oppressor make short work of 5 Sabres easily.

Round 6 UCM had presence on all focal points, but Scourge had majority on all.

Cheers

Oops. Now that I read that it's only 1 extra VP for the major army on the area. Then final VP for this game would be
UCM 10
Scourge 13
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Sep 29, 2015 4:11 am

Great! Thanks for trying it out.

We used it in Round 1 of our last tournament a few weeks ago, and while we only had 4 players, unfortunately, everyone really enjoyed the scenario, and the scores were all very close.

It's probably my favorite scenario for 1,500 points at the moment, but I need to work on other scenarios to keep fresh with them, too, been playing this one a lot to test it and tweak it to make sure it's got good balance.

Thanks again!

chrisloomis13

PostSun Feb 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Gave this my first go w/ Yoink Tuesday. We played 2K on a 6x4, not sure if this mission has seen much play on a 6x4 but it definitely was real interesting. I played Resistance and he his Shaltari. I won't speak for him, but I really like the mission and want to try it some more, probably on a 4x4 at 1500, but mostly b/c you headline it as a tournament mission.

After some thinking there are a few things that are really just design decisions, so don't take any of it as hard criticism. You had a choice of A or B, and you chose one.

Infantry counting double in buildings. I go back and forth on this one for any/all missions. It makes infantry important and encourages some CQB. It also means some infantry are ridiculously heavy. My Occ. Vets come in at 80pts for min 2 base squad. In a building that's 160 and it felt a bit dirty as they easily out weighed one Jaguar outside. And where there is one squad there is usually many. To be fair, Yoink admitted just before dice rolled that he was trying a list very light on infantry. I wonder how things would have turned out if this rule hadn't been. My masses of infantry would not have been such a rock. The mission as is is infantry intense, something to keep in mind when figuring out the missions for a tournament.

The deployment zone was nice on the 6x4, but I question if it's necessary. I understand a desire to help more walk on focused armies, but the other side of this is you are giving units a free 6". Players that bring dropships paid points for there speed and maneuverability. Considering all the talk on dropship "tax" and whether they are worth taking, it's questionable if this is a good move.

I thought it could be interesting that if you knock a FP off the table at the end of T6 it's worth an additional bonus point, for pushing the Battlefront back. A fear is that both players would just do this to the FP closest them and then the win is up to the middle. Could say just the center FP gives up this bonus point. It would really drive the fight on T4. I don't think this is needed, but just a thought I share.

Now that we've played critical locations, I'm curious how this would play scoring at the same time (even turns), but with only 3" range and only the player that wins scores 1 point.

I think those are all my thoughts/opinions. Mission is real fun and plan to give it some more play and if I think of anything else I will post here again, even though I know you prefer Facebook.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

yoink101

PostMon Feb 29, 2016 4:20 am

The critical locations rule could be awesome. I think it might require some very careful placing of buildings though.

I like the idea of getting an extra point if you push the FP off of the table on turn 6. I think it would be good for those armies that want to move a very powerful block of armor up the center of the table.

I did play an odd list. I used Gaias instead of Edens, which did not work in my favor.

Thanks for the mission JD!

Edit:

Also, the mission is awesome for encouraging dropships and mobility. A walk-on army is would not be able to compete in this mission. Getting 18" up the field in two turns just doesn't work without a dropship.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys, and for trying out the mission!

Yeah, it really is meant for a 4'x4' tournament scenario, but it should work on a 4'x6' if you placed the two side FPs equidistant from both the center FP and the edges.

I'm undecided about the double points for Infantry in buildings, too, and can see your point. Will have to give it some controlled testing (same armies, same players, couple of games each way) to see...

As yoink pointed out, it does encourage you to bring dropships, but we didn't want drive on armies to suffer, either. I think it balances out...

Knocking the FP off the table for an extra point might be good, but in a tournament environment I think you have to be careful of scenarios that yield too high of a points spread between the winner and loser. It could help, but I'm concerned that it would result in points differences that are artificially higher. Will have to theoryzone that one out...

Speaking of which, what was your final score?

Critical Locations might be the way to go, scoring every even turn still, depending on whether inherently slower armies would still make it to within 3" of the center turn 2, and then make it 12" forward by turn 4. Again, some theoryzoning needs to be done, a little simple geometry/trig.

All feedback is welcome, and nothing (much) is cast in stone, so will consider the options you've suggested. Now that we're not prepping for the LVO, I might be able to get a few test games in with regular opponents (James, Andrew and/or Darryl) to get some good data...

Thanks again for giving it a go, and I look forward to hearing more feedback! :D

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion