It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:25 am

Beasts of War Dropfleet Commander Video

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Beasts of War Dropfleet Commander Video

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 7:49 am

Weidekuh wrote:I'm predicting KS will be at target value in less than half time. Not worried at all. Those minis are just way to beautiful not to make an impact across the community. Then they'll have a sneap peak at the rules and sold. ;)

I hope so. I'll do my part. I know a bunch of folks who are not in DzC but are anxiously awaiting Dropfleet, I just don't know that they'll be up to backing a KS... :?
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Fantastic stuff. Eagerly anticipating the Kickstarter.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

lothlanathorian

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah, so far as I can tell, the "exclusives" are just variants of things that will be able to be purchased at retail after launch. I know I am planning to back it for a full starter. I've been hungry for a good space ship game since BFG went defunct and when it was announced that The Overfiend was working on a space ship game for Dropzone, I realized I really had died and ended up in Heaven.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.

Klarg1

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 3:26 pm

Thunderboy wrote:More than 30minutes of DFZ talk. Was a good video.
Nice and structured.

Indeed. I thought the minis were beautiful at GenCon. I am also becoming more and more intrigued about the game play as Dave drops hints about it.

I also hope he posts a new video about how he went about producing his Scourge fleet scheme when the game is released.
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

Souleater

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 pm

I think this will fund within a couple of hours. :mrgreen:

Hopefully we will get alternate sculpts for a ship or two of each race.

ExquisiteMonkey

PostMon Sep 28, 2015 11:22 pm

managed to watch the video during my lunch break.

I have to say, I'm more chuffed about this game now then ever....

given its purpose is clearly to fund starter plastic sprues, I'm not going in with the expectation of a whole fleet for any faction, so I'll probably pony up for at least two starter fleets, maybe 3 or 4 depending on end cost - the AUD is terrible at the moment.... :(
Shaltari - We come forth from the Gates of HELL!

Bengt

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 am

TinBane wrote:What I take from that, is that the KS will be for the plastic starter set, and potentially the plastic kits. The resin releases, will be released in the standard manner (ie through hawk and retailers). The exception is that a limited edition ship is likely to be resin drop-in parts, because it will be a lower volume. It's possible the "exclusive mini" will be limited to a single cruiser component in resin, that looks different from the standard cruiser hull??

I've gotten the impression that it will be 100% plastic kits, no resin. At least all the regular releases, limited promo models might have resin parts I guess.

jgcpalmer

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 12:09 pm

Bengt wrote:I've gotten the impression that it will be 100% plastic kits, no resin. At least all the regular releases, limited promo models might have resin parts I guess.

Yes, Dave has talked about how this will reduce SKUs at the store due to plastic letting him have many variations in one box, so plastic for everything sounds like it's the plan.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if that might depend on the kickstarter - the core starter sets might be the main goal, while plastics for expansions might be stretch goals.

Creeping Dementia

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:05 pm

ExquisiteMonkey wrote:managed to watch the video during my lunch break.

I have to say, I'm more chuffed about this game now then ever....

given its purpose is clearly to fund starter plastic sprues, I'm not going in with the expectation of a whole fleet for any faction, so I'll probably pony up for at least two starter fleets, maybe 3 or 4 depending on end cost - the AUD is terrible at the moment.... :(

Being 'chuffed' is a good thing right, thats one I'm not familiar with here in the states.

As for plastics, the core range should/will be plastics based on the interviews I've seen. That means at least the Cruisers and Frigates. The Battleship and Dreadnought classes are a little more fuzzy, so I think it is possible these could be Resin still due to the lower volume of them that will be used and purchased and the lower number of varients when compared to Cruisers and Frigates. Likely depends on the degree of success of the kickstarter. Similarly, Fighters/Bombers are going to be roughly 'DZC infantry' sized so could be metal.

Also, depending on the when Hawk will consider the KS 'funds' (I'm thinking once there is enough money for UCM and Scourge Frigates and Cruisers), I have a hunch it will reach the first goals within an hour of going live. The test and question will be if everything from all the races reach their stretch goals.

So so sum up, assuming the KS funds (and I think it will within a very short time) I would expect:
1: Cruisers and Frigates in plastic (and most of the range will be Cruisers/Frigates = most of the range in plastic)
2: Battleships/Dreadnoughts in resin (unless KS is wildly succesful) and possibly only available in retail.
3: Fighters and Bombers in metal (unless KS wildly successful and they can figure out a way to get the right level of detail in plastic).
4: KS exclusive BattleCruisers in resin or metal, due the limited run nature of KS exclusives (would be silly to spend tens of thousands of dollars on plastic moulds if they will never be used past the KS).

lothlanathorian

PostWed Sep 30, 2015 1:50 pm

Chuffed does, indeed, mean pleased. I am a fellow USAnian who has spent many years being confused for a Brit. Too much Warhams and time spent on a British owned forum :lol:

I think your predictions are pretty much spot on. The aim is to get the starter stuff in plastic and, as stretch goals, I imagine the bigger ships in plastic.

With the way Dave was talking, I expect we'll see each ship class for each race as a single box with multiple builds for whatever is in it. So, think like the standard tank hulls coming on a sprue with each possible turret on the sprue for that hull so you can make any load out, but, only one per.

I imagine that frigates will have multiple ships per box and am hoping that cruisers will, as well. Not knowing the scale of the game yet, I am hoping that the boxes are designed to take up less shelf space and get you a few ships at a time.

Either way, I am freaking excited and want the KS up now so I can throw money at my computer until it gives me things.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion