It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:39 am

Putting the Drop back into Dropzone

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

chrisloomis13

Re: Putting the Drop back into Dropzone

PostFri Feb 24, 2017 9:05 pm

killionaire wrote:I played a scenario with a great idea once. You had a 3x3 set of locations, 12 inches away from each other. First person to score a location gets to choose what midfield one counts as the next valid location. Then whoever scores that chooses the last location to count, which is then going to be on the enemy half of the board.

It necessitated repositioning to take your target hard, as well as spreading yourself out to defend against an enemy push. Felt more like a battle and less like arbitrary capture the flag, while making drop repositioning much more valuable. Incidentally, it helped Shaltari a lot, but those gates don't take well to penetrating heavy air defense...

That sounds fun. I have been trying to think of a way to do a Team Fortress style 5 capture point game. For those not familiar with TF2, there are 5 points between the start zones. You must capture the one closest you before capturing the next closest. The 3rd is in the middle of the table, and the 4th and 5th are your opponents 2nd and 1st respectively. TF has some other modes I have been wanting to adopt to the game.

My other idea was putting Intel into missions that previously didn't have it.
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

Novus

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 pm

JDWelch made a mission called Battlefront that is really good for encouraging dropships. Basically, it's 3 FPs across the mid-line that move based on who wins the FP on certain turns. At the end of each of those turns the FP moves 12" directly away from the winners deployment edge. Great mission that petty much requires late-game mobility/dropships.

I changed it up for one of the events I ran. I rotated the FP line 90 degrees and allowed armies to directly deploy. My version is linked here...

https://www.greenstuffindustries.com/uploads/2/6/0/3/26037626/mission_2_-_battlefront_oct.pdf

Not allowing walk on units outright isn't the right move, IMHO. More missions like this would pretty much solve the problem.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 am

Thanks, Rich!

Now if I can just get Hawk to include my version in their next DZC book... :shock: :o

In my version you direct deploy, too, but my deployment zone is a bit funky. Maybe I should dig that topic up and make sure the first post is the current version so folks don't have to go digging through all the others for it... :?
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:24 am

Found it!

Bumped it.

And I'd already put the latest rules in the OP.

Seriously, folks, give it a whirl next time you play Dropzone, and then comment in its topic with your feedback! :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com
Previous

Return to General Discussion