It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:29 am

Let's Talk Terrain

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

Re: Let's Talk Terrain

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 4:07 pm

The density of the building I right off to the idea that they weren't trying to pack these new worlds so densely so stuff is a little spread out. However I use a lot of scatter terrain. I typically play PHR but have been dabbling in UCM. I find the terrain extremely useful and it really changes the way you play the game. I've attached a link to one of my more recent battle reports and you can kind of get an idea of the layouts I go for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvrHHZyaaE

lothlanathorian

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 12:20 am

Gauntlet wrote:With these, I specifically designed some to purposely "guard" the entire side of a medium square building, which restricts entry to the building. This creates interesting barriers/obstacles for reaching objectives.

I really like this idea. Would make having to be dropped on roofs a thing and would increase the utility and practicality of Praetorians.
aags_jim7 wrote:Tactics aren't something to bitch about. They're what separate games from just rolling dice in a parking lot.

Gauntlet

PostWed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm

It also encourages APCs, since, getting around the corner to an exposed side with a light dropship, might well be guarded by AA. That happens now anyways, but there is usually a side of the building not guarded, in this way, you can very easily have 2-3 sides blocked and thus force easily guarded choke points.

Thus, it makes more sense to use an APC to round that corner and deploy, it might not survive if the enemy has ground forces, but it won't die to a reaction, it WILL get the troops inside.

stevefamine

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm a fan of stacking buildings adjacent to one another and making "L" shaped super structures with two near one another

Last edited by stevefamine on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Might I play on your table sir? Please... :shock:

stevefamine

PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:21 pm

sybert1138 wrote:Might I play on your table sir? Please... :shock:

:lol: Sure

I've had a total of maybe 4 games on it so far. Too busy with work / other commission work

westman

PostWed Apr 05, 2017 7:07 am

Good posts in this thread. Personally I feel much of the not enough dropships debate stems from the real problem, which is that tournament tables dont have enough scatter terrain, which makes some units weak(er). Friendly tables tend to have a lot more and diverse terrain, which affects gameplay in a good way.

I wouldnt consider attending Invasion while they only play with cardboard houses and zero scatter terrain for example. But the wider problem is that balance discussions center around this type of tournament table gaming.

Very nice looking tables in this thread too, good work!

stevefamine

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Since topics move slow here - I'd like to add the scatter terrain I just finished. These made a huge difference on the table (Not the lamps :D )

fiddlerboy

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 5:15 pm

Nice work! You've made me rethink how large I should make my scatter terrain.

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 5:37 pm

fiddlerboy wrote:Nice work! You've made me rethink how large I should make my scatter terrain.

Me too, mine is a lot smaller than that
PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion