It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Wreckage rules & Minis

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

60mm

Wreckage rules & Minis

PostSat Mar 04, 2017 5:25 am

I was thinking it would be cool if vehicles left wreckage behind, for a few reasons.

First, it would be fun tactically. Would be a fun tactic for board control and would help, to a degree, "put the Drop back in Dropzone". Armies with sufficient dropships to provide flexible mobility would help safeguard against these situations. Add a rule for vehicles like, "Annihilated - Vehicles destroyed by more DP than necessary for a kill leave no wreckage." I think something along these lines would be best as it introduces no more rolling to the game, while adding tactical depth. You could also allow wreckage to be destroyed to prevent cheap invinci-wall tactics.

Second, minis! Hawk could expand to have wrecked versions of all the vehicles. This would be awesome in a lot of ways, for fans and Hawk. The wrecks would, ideally, have detail that would really accentuate the factions, Scourge wrecks have pools of liquid oozing out from the damage.
Shaltari wrecks are damaged and molten structures. Etc. I am guessing it would be easy to model, as it would just be modifications/deformations to existing 3d models.

It would also let Hawk expand DZC with new products everyone can use without having to bloat the game with more units. In conjunction with the beasts, mission terrain, etc., Hawk can provide a lot to buy even if you stick to one decent sized army. Much preferred, imo, than just adding more and more units.

Neiloid

Re: Wreckage rules & Minis

PostSun Mar 05, 2017 4:45 pm

While wrecked versions of more common or spectacular units could make nice scenery as the leftovers of an earlier battle, requiring wrecked models to play is going to almost double the cost of an army, so I can see that being more off-putting than helpful. Then again if your local group are happy to buy duplicates and wreck them yourselves to be able to house rule wreckages then it could be an interesting change.

60mm

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 am

Tokens can be used to denote wrecks. Destroyed units are removed, wrecked vehicles get a token.

Wreckage minis would be optional, but popular I'd bet!

Nobody

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 12:45 am

People would likely adopt the Flames of War method of putting a little puff of cotton on top of the model.

I'm not against the wreck models though, they might make nice focal point/critical location markers.

westman

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 am

Nobody wrote:People would likely adopt the Flames of War method of putting a little puff of cotton on top of the model.

I think so too, and it could look cool.

Game wise it would help promote the use of dropships more, and help the UCM to make use of their articulated rule. And walkers to get a movement advantage. So I'm all for it.

I think it needs to be clear that wreckages do NOT block landing zones though or some nasty effects of blocking LZs could take place.

Nobody

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:09 pm

westman wrote:
Nobody wrote:People would likely adopt the Flames of War method of putting a little puff of cotton on top of the model.

Game wise it would help promote the use of dropships more, and help the UCM to make use of their articulated rule. And walkers to get a movement advantage. So I'm all for it.

I think it needs to be clear that wreckages do NOT block landing zones though or some nasty effects of blocking LZs could take place.

Maybe make wrecks destructable, say, A6, 1 DP, it'd make them easier to clean up.

Also, if a vehicle is destroyed by more damage than is required, it doesn't leave a wreck (ex: Scourge Grav tank hit by a Sabre that rolls a "6" with the railgun, causing 2 DP. Said grav tank only has 1 DP, so there is no wreck).

60mm

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Nobody wrote:
westman wrote:

Maybe make wrecks destructable, say, A6, 1 DP, it'd make them easier to clean up.

Also, if a vehicle is destroyed by more damage than is required, it doesn't leave a wreck (ex: Scourge Grav tank hit by a Sabre that rolls a "6" with the railgun, causing 2 DP. Said grav tank only has 1 DP, so there is no wreck).

I think wrecks should have the same A as the destroyed unit, lose all counter measures and have 1 DP. Having a pre-set A for wrecks will mean heavy tank wreckages suddenly turn into cardboard boxes and small light vehicles somehow get tougher when destroyed.

You described the same thing I said on vehicles being destroyed by more DP than necessary leave no wreck.

Wrecks should block LZs. A light tank wreck can block a heavy tank, but dropships can land on it and unload other vehicles? What happens to the wreck, remove it? Pretend it isn't there for dropships? That would ruin the concept and opens up a lot of windows for cheap rules abuse. And do you really need to land on top of a wrecked vehicle? Can't land an inch away?

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 7:28 am

No reason to get testy... House rule it however you want, but there's a reason wrecks are removed in the rules...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

westman

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 am

60mm wrote:Wrecks should block LZs. A light tank wreck can block a heavy tank, but dropships can land on it and unload other vehicles? What happens to the wreck, remove it? Pretend it isn't there for dropships? That would ruin the concept and opens up a lot of windows for cheap rules abuse. And do you really need to land on top of a wrecked vehicle? Can't land an inch away?

For realism I 100% agree with you, I was talking about them not blocking LZ for game balance purposes (which is probably why they are removed in the official rules).

If you think about it, focal points could be impossible to take for the dropship/player coming in as the last activation. The player activating first just secures the FP he/she already holds by dropping some (preferably vulnerable) units around possible landing zones and once they are destroyed you cannot land there. If you don't destroy them you can't land, if you destroy them you can't land. Loose loose, ergo it's blocked. Leads to deadlock and boring gameplay IMO. That's why I suggested you ignore the wrecks for the purposes of the Hot LZ rule.

But try away as you like, it will be a house rule in your house so feel free to make it how you like. :)

Capt Panama

PostThu Mar 16, 2017 9:52 pm

Imagine you destroy so many Prowlers, you end up with no LZ. Horrible.

Return to General Discussion