It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm

UCM Military Structure

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

CheeseCake1128

UCM Military Structure

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 5:39 am

I'm curious as to UCM millitary structure as I'm wanting to add a little backstory to my army and give the battlegroups names and such, I just have no idea what they'd be called. Like you wouldn't really call a squad or two of tanks "Armoured Formation One" or something on a battlefield. It'd have a name like Echo Company or something. Or at least it might be called that, I've no idea what a Company technically is. So, anyone know anything about this? :)
- CheeseCake1128

westman

Re: UCM Military Structure

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 6:42 am

Its in the rulebook, UCM section.

UCMA Homeworldnamehere 1st Armoured Corps or Colonial Legion would be a good start.

CheeseCake1128

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 7:44 am

I've looked through that and it all deals with large formations. I'm thinking more battlegroups, so literally whatever you'd call 2-3 squads in a combined arms grouping. I think I'm gonna look into modern military organisation and take things from that as I imagine it'd be pretty similar. :)
- CheeseCake1128

Octavian Lars

PostSat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

From what i'm aware, a typical force (1500pts) is roughly equivalent to a company, with a condor dropship carrying approximately a platoon's worth (or tank troop). Above that, a number of companies is a batallion under a major or lt. colonel, then regiment/brigade under colonel/ brigadier, 2-3 brigades a division (the smallest strategic unit, under a major general) then corps (ie. 1st colonial armoured corps) and possibly legion under Lt.General, and then of course armies.
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

THEMONSTER

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 3:41 am

These vids might help
https://youtu.be/a15gihWu1SM
https://youtu.be/Z5j95VxhHxA
https://youtu.be/Ev2UVzrJg0Q

Also look at the sidebar for modern hierarchy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_ ... prov=sfla1

So as Octavian Lars pointed out, 3 Sabers is an armored platoon and 30 legionnaires is an infantry platoon. So a condor can be considered a platoon transport, and an albatross would then be able to carry an armored company. It's also stated in the dropfleet rulebook that a New Orleans strick carrier carrys 1000 legionnaires a "full cohort" I don't know how many cohorts per legion, though that can probably be figured out by smarter people than me. (Hopefully some of that was coherent.)

Hope that helps

CheeseCake1128

PostSun Mar 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Hmm, Octavian you say that a company would be roughly 1500pts worth of dropzone, and a platoon would be a condor full, but monster says that a company would be an albatross full, so essentially a few platoons. Seeing as each battlegroup in dropzone consists or approximately 2 "platoons" (two condors full) + support elements, do we have a name for that sized grouping? :)
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 2:44 am

Yes. You said it. "Battlegroup".

:D

Probably not possible to exactly match UCM organization names and sizes to contemporary ones...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

CheeseCake1128

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:14 am

Ahaha fair enough. I'm not looking for something exact though, just something that wouldn't be wildly inaccurate. :P
- CheeseCake1128

THEMONSTER

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:36 am

J.D. Welch wrote:Yes. You said it. "Battlegroup".

:D

Probably not possible to exactly match UCM organization names and sizes to contemporary ones...

I agree with you there. (on both points)

In reference to my above statement about the albatross, 9 tanks is kind of small for a company. (Not to mention it was more personal opinion than anything, I guess I'm just too used to The somewhat cut-and-dry force organization in BattleTech.)

CheeseCake1128 wrote:Ahaha fair enough. I'm not looking for something exact though, just something that wouldn't be wildly inaccurate. :P

It's kind of a tricky subject, I suppose you could call a 1500 Point list a (here Comes BattleTech again) combined-arms battalion. Again just personal opinion. (Also 1500 points might be a little small to be called a battalion, I haven't had enough experience with DZC as of yet to really say for sure.)

On a side note it would be kind of neat to have a fluff based table of organization in a future supplement.

Octavian Lars

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 7:51 am

I was aware of the 9 sabres/albatross being about the right size for an armoured company, but I would say it's more a reinforced platoon (especially given that each tank has 1 man)

for example: a sherman armoured troop (platoon):
3 sherman V, 1 sherman Vc firefly
each have 5 men so ~20 men plus support elements

UCM sabre platoon:
3 sabres, 1 condor
4 men plus support

UCM mechanised infantry platoon:
2 sections: 15 men, 2 bear, 1 condor
33+ men plus support
(about right for a modern unit, though maybe a touch on the small size)

I would say a battlegroup is each a reinforced platoon, with a number of these forming a company (or maybe a small battalion at higher points)
DzC units are possibly a little on the small size relative to modern units in terms of manpower, especially in armoured units due to the decreased manpower required to run them.
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

Return to General Discussion