It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 pm

Any thoughts on the future?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Rick

Any thoughts on the future?

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 4:53 am

So, im not sure really how to word my question. But as i read through the Dropzone threads I sometimes get the impression that some feel the game has sort plateaued a bit. I have recently purchased about 1300 points for 4 of the 5 factions and some terrain. I suppose my question is sort of subjective in nature. But as a franchise, or perhaps "brand" do you feel that Hawk is attracting new players? I know better than to base my opinion on my own experience here way off in midwest U.S.

I feel that Dropfleet has been quite successful and look forward to expanding into that game as well. I am truly enjoying the game universe as a whole. But I am concerned that perhaps if there is stagnation in the growth of the player base Hawk might abandon the Dropzone product altogether eventually and focus solely on DFc. Do any of you fear this? Or is everything chugging along nicely in your areas and im just paranoid?
I have been known to on occasion roll greater than 1

BlackLegion

Re: Any thoughts on the future?

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 am

Why should they drop it? I just won a new DZC player here and he started with DFC.

Rick

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Im not saying they should at all. I just spent $600 on this game lol. I guess i was trying to gauge the general health of the game. I know there are a lot more players in Europe and was kind of fishing for some input on if they feel the player base is growing, shrinking or is stagnate.
I have been known to on occasion roll greater than 1

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 2:40 am

I feel that the player base for DzC is somewhere between stable and growing here in the US. I wouldn't say that it's "stagnate", and I know for certain that Hawk are not going to abandon Dropzone Commander! On that question I'd say, Yes, you are being paranoid! :lol:

Interest in the game tends to ebb and flow with a number of factors, but the game and the universe has staying power. We recently had at least one player get into Dropzone through his interest in Dropfleet, and I just heard from a friend who was at Adepticon this past weekend that he bought a Dropfleet Starter (UCM, I believe) and the Rulebook, and is coming home looking to play. He has Dropzone UCM models, so with any luck he'll be getting back into the ground war again, too.

Our latest local Dropzone tournament was on January 22nd, and we had 8 players. And the Dropzone tournament at Adepticon had more players than the Dropfleet one ended up having.

Also, my fellow Phoenix Talon and I are about to kick off a series of Demo Days for both systems that will be a lead-up to escalation leagues for both systems at our new FLGS, the escalation leagues probably starting at the end of May or early June.

Of course, your meta will vary, and I can't speak to the level of interest in your community, now or in the future. But I wouldn't worry about your recent investment in Dropzone Commander miniatures!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Gauntlet

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 am

The company (Hawk) has two products... both based in the same universe... the idea they'd abandon DZC is just kinda absurd sounding to me... and Dave Lewis is clearly insanely passionate about it all.

No. I think it far more likely that a new edition will be released and breath new life into the game. DFC derailed a lot of things, and I think the recovery won't be easy, but will be well worth the ride.

I do look forward to Hawk branching out into other possible games and IP one day too..

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 7:19 am

Gauntlet wrote:I do look forward to Hawk branching out into other possible games and IP one day too..

I think they do, too.

All in good time.

They're all relatively young, with the energy and ambitions that come with that. I'm sure they're striving to build up an orchard that will bear meaningful and abundant fruit for years to come...

Wouldn't you? :-)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

ZombiePirate

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 9:50 am

I think if anything 2017 will be something of a year for them to rebuild. No-one can deny that there are at least a few player bases that have run up against the issues with the Dropfleet kickstarter and that has soured some people's relationship to Hawk. I think it may be hard to tempt some of them back but, if we get some cool content who's to say it won't happen?

I only play locally with friends so I don't really have any insight into "the community" locally, but I've seen a lot of heat directed Hawks way over the handling of the Dropfleet kickstarter and it'll be interesting to see how Dave reacts come Salute when people inevitably ask him about it.

Return to General Discussion