It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:48 am

Next releases?

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Next releases?

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 12:44 am

BlackLegion wrote:
J.D. Welch wrote:
westman wrote:I hope Hawk doesn't develop a 3rd game system, with their size they would get spread too thinly. Currently they have enough issues delivering the two good Systems they have, don't you think?

I don't think there's too much chance of that happening any time soon. They know they've got a lot on their hands as it is, and that there's much to be done with both systems, and they want them both to be healthy.

That's not to say that they won't ever come out with a third system, or more, but they're in it for the long haul, and that means making what they've got solid and healthy, and sustaining them.

Ooh "Droptroop Commander" (28mm skirmish game, basically the CQB of DZC) would be something to look forward to ;)

That's what I've always envisioned being the next logical progression, but who knows?

Inevitably there will be outcries of, "No, the 28mm market is too crowded as it is!", but I still think it's a good, natural progression of the game. :)

My advice to Hawk would be to sit down and talk to a bunch of ex-military who have actual real-world experience clearing a structure room-to-room, such as what the US Marines had to do in Fallujah and elsewhere, to get the real feel for how such an engagement would go down, then bring it up to 27th Century capabilities. I've spoken to a fair number of vets along these lines, and it's eye-opening...

There's also a lot of other different directions that Hawk could go in with their IP. Two ideas that I've seen bantered about by folks on this forum and in the FLGS chatter are an RPG and a deck-building game, but I'm sure there are other directions they could go, too. Just a matter of time and planning...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

chrisloomis13

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Honestly, if it's not 2nd ed, than I hope P3 is just advancing the story, some new units for the existing factions, and new scenarios. Nothing too dramatic; just a nice stable release.

I would love to see a non-miniatures game produced, which I suppose means a board game, but perhaps a boxed card game. I think there is room to do an interesting game for the battle of a cluster, as dropzone is a piece of a sector, and dropfleet is a piece of a planet. Cardboard tiles that are inter-changable to have different games (boards), and include pieces for the 4 main factions. The card game idea would also be great to showcase more artwork. Both avenues bring Hawk onto the radar of other types of gamers.

If they do ever bring a 3rd miniature game on, I hope they do market research and figure out what is lacking. I feel that is part of the reason Dropfleet was such a success, people want a successful space ship game.

This is a DZC thread, so back to DZC. New terrain would be interesting for P3, I'm not sure exactly what, but as I mentioned, I would like it self contained. Meaning no major revamp of non-urban terrain, for example. Likewise, I wouldn't want a huge re-do of other portions of rules, such as Fast Movers. I'd much prefer these types of big sweeping changes saved for a 2nd ed.

As for FM, there are already plenty of units in the game that have a dramatic effect starting turn 2, some even turn 1, so I'm not sure if the Reserve rolls are necessary anymore. I'd be interested to see how automatic Readiness starting turn 2 would work. As indirectly pointed out in this thread, the Fleet BG has drawbacks built in to it, besides the unreliability. This would be an example of a small size rules change that I would find acceptable in P3 (ie-not paragraphs and pages).
Chris - chrisloomis13 - Crisp Mini

j. r. logan

PostThu Apr 06, 2017 11:25 pm

I do like the idea of adding a infantry group to the air battle group and make them the foreword as. for the air other group could still call in air if this group is lost but maybe at some kind of minus.
Adepticon 2015 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 2500pts 7th/12
Adepticon 2016 1500pts 9th/20
Gen Con 2016 5th/25

westman

PostFri Apr 07, 2017 2:31 pm

My friend Jens has pointed out several times the lack of themed rosters. They only exist for assymetrical missions, but could be used to represent other types of armies e.g. Air cavalry, Armoured Corps, a rapid response force and so on.

Hawk does something that achieves an effect similar to this this with some of the famous commanders, but changing the amount and type of slots in a battle group for urban/rural /air themed army could be much more General and fun even without specific commanders. I would love to see this for rp3.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Apr 09, 2017 6:02 am

westman wrote:My friend Jens has pointed out several times the lack of themed rosters. They only exist for assymetrical missions, but could be used to represent other types of armies e.g. Air cavalry, Armoured Corps, a rapid response force and so on.

Hawk does something that achieves an effect similar to this this with some of the famous commanders, but changing the amount and type of slots in a battle group for urban/rural /air themed army could be much more General and fun even without specific commanders. I would love to see this for rp3.

So, in other words,... "Formations"??? :shock: :o

Excuse me, I have to go wash my mouth out now...

:lol:

(But the idea is sound, as long as these "Configurations" are balanced and fluffy... If anyone can do it, Dave can, just don't use the "F" word in my presence, please... Too many unpleasant memories...) ;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Capt Panama

PostTue Apr 11, 2017 7:00 pm

They dont need to release minis, just:

2.0 Rules
Civilian vehicles through distribution channels
Campaign pack

Grauenacht

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 am

I would love to have some sort of autonomous defensive tructures/ turrets, you know the ones from a fallen world but still operational.
-=IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING IDIOTPROOF, THEY KEEP MAKING BETTER IDIOTS=-

BlackLegion

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Grauenacht wrote:I would love to have some sort of autonomous defensive tructures/ turrets, you know the ones from a fallen world but still operational.

Like the Orbital Defence Laser? Or the Bunkers? :)

Grauenacht

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 6:52 am

Yes, but more on ground defense level, also they would be just hazards for everyone like the wildlife scenery pack.
-=IF YOU MAKE SOMETHING IDIOTPROOF, THEY KEEP MAKING BETTER IDIOTS=-
Previous

Return to General Discussion