It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:35 am

Plast Craft Terrain Set

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

Yvain

Plast Craft Terrain Set

PostSat May 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Anyone see or try this yet?

There is a lot of worry about durability due to the material being used. Trying to find out if it is cost effective to grab.

How does it match up against the current stuff hawk sells?

Iron Skies

Hawk Talon

Re: Plast Craft Terrain Set

PostSat May 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Have most of a board made. Holds up really well. All stuff is at gaming club so will be Thursday before I can get some pictures
Top Resistance Player - Invasion 2015

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun May 07, 2017 12:58 am

Our other Talon bought a bunch of it and donated it to the FLGS. It's pretty sturdy stuff. Looks great, although not "ruined", so if you envision it as being buildings on one of the Colony planets recently attacked by the Scourge, the illusion still holds up. I set up a couple of tables using a mix of the PlastCraft buildings and the Hawk cardstock ones for our last tournament, and they worked out just fine.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Yvain

PostSun May 07, 2017 10:22 am

I suppose the next question is how does it stand up to the bargin Hawk stuff? It doesn't look like they match and it would take a lot to get that many buildings together. Is it worth filling a table that way?

Its like Hawk vs Plast Craft vs N-Scale stuff I suppose.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 08, 2017 4:46 am

Not all of the architecture in a city looks the same. The same would hold true in a city in the future, I reckon. The PlastCraft stuff is definitely different from the Hawk cardstock, but to my eye a mix of them works just fine. I grew up just outside of NYC, and I'm used to a jumble of different architectural styles, it looks more natural, more organic to me than one set futuristic style of buildings across the entire table.

But if you like your tables to have a consistent look and feel to them, then I think it would be worthwhile to get an entire 4'x6' table's worth of the stuff. Starts to look repetative, tho, IMHO, so mixing it up with the Hawk cardstock buildings breaks that up...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

wowskyguy

Hawk Talon

PostMon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

I have some Colored Plast Craft buildings for Infinity. They are very nice and quite durable. I just painted the white borders with light grey paint. It feels a lot better.

In terms of general quality rating is:
4 Ground (lasercut wood)
Plast Craft (PVC)
Impudent Mortal (lasercut wood)
Hawk's (cardboard)

In terms of sturdiness:
Impudent Mortal (lasercut wood)
4 Ground (lasercut wood)
Plast Craft (PVC)
Hawk's (cardboard)

Cheers,
--
Andy

"Here's everything I know
about war: Somebody wins,
somebody loses, and
nothing is ever the same again."
Admiral Constanza Stark,
C.Y. 9784

stevefamine

PostTue May 09, 2017 3:16 pm

I agree with Wowskyguy on the durability - I'd rate Blotz below 4Ground - (hardiest of the structures)

I like the Past Craft, but I've yet to see how it gets beat up in a FLGS setting or from continued use.

Then again I have the golden flake resin structures from HWG that are made of adamantium. - but gave consideration to all of those companies except Impudent Mortal (the scale is a bit weird in person)

Yvain

PostSun May 14, 2017 11:42 pm

I appreciate the tips guys. I will consider it.

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jun 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I have a couple of Battle Reports with nearly full Plast Craft tables. If you want to take a look I've tossed a link here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xs2XDWzrk

Overall, the more of it I put on the table the more I liked it. It does feel more rugged than the card stock and certainly makes the table look different. They can be difficult to get your infantry on/in, depending on the structure.

Return to General Discussion