It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:42 pm

The "sweet spot" for list points

Tell the world your Dropzone related trials and tribulations!
  • Author

BwanaJoe

The "sweet spot" for list points

PostSat May 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Hello all,

I was reading an article on Warlord Games site about Antares. Some gents from Downunder did a series of articles about the game from picking up their first armies to playing in their first tournie; building forces as they went. Anyway, one point brought up was the game didn't really get to be fun, and balanced, until they reached a certain point threshold. So, it got me thinking, what is DZC's point threshold? Where should a newie shoot for as a minimum point force. And at what point does it seem to be to many points?

Joe

Major Awesome

Re: The "sweet spot" for list points

PostSat May 06, 2017 3:55 pm

1500 is a pretty solid point value. That's the standard size for most games and tournaments. It lets you get a good core of anti-tank, anti-air, and troops, along with a few extra units to personalize.
~Major Awesome~
Hedgehog schemer, Resistance lover, and on those random full moons when PHR aren't everywhere my true nature as cyborg comes out.

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSat May 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Less than 1000pts can work in DZC but I wouldnt really bother. 1500 is pretty much perfect balance for this game in my experince. Only played a few larger but it didnt see to add much.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun May 07, 2017 3:04 am

1,500 is the sweet spot, but higher points games are fun, too; they let you bring more of your toys, but if you get up over 1,999 you should really go to a 4'x6' board.

I'm not fond of less than 1,500 points of Dropzone, to be honest...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

samspace

Hawk Talon

PostSun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Our group will find out soon. We just started our escalation league for both systems. We started out at 750 points. It seemed to work well for Dropfleet but not Dropzone. Such a low point value punished PHR and Shaltari heavily since their stuff is already so expensive. Scourge was able to field a decent force but our PHR player couldn't bring a balanced force.

Next round is going to be Skirmish at 999 points. I have more faith at this level and this is the level the OB guys play at for their tournament.

That being said, it was fun trying to put together a single list for a single scenario at a low point value. It changed the game up and was interesting.

Hawk Liam

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:38 am

1500 is our current tournament pts limit and it works very well for casual games also.

Orbital Bombardment run a tournament each year called Critical Engagement which is 4 games of 1000pts and I believe everyone enjoys the mix up and cramming more games into 1 day. It is always popular and gives a new challenge to seasoned veterans or newbies.

Return to General Discussion