It is currently Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:42 pm

Catching The Train

Discuss tactics and general army concepts not specific to a faction
  • Author

Phantasm

Catching The Train

PostWed Sep 28, 2016 2:51 pm

So I played my UCM in a 2000 point Monorail scenario, where there's an objective on the Monorail worth 4VP (Moving Target I believe it's called) where I beat my PHR opponent because he didn't have any light dropship units (aside from a Meduse who was supporting a battle line), and he had to fight a bitter CQB in the first station to get two heavily-damaged bases of Immortals onto the Monorail, only for them to be brutalised by my Heavy Hazard Suits who promptly made off with the objective an won me the game by 4VP.

So we started wondering what sort of units were good at boarding the monorail, and whether it was worth going for the stations, since a light dropship squad could get on, find on a 4 first turn and leave before the monorail even reaches the stations. My plan was to get the Hazard Suits to shoot from the train, since they can't be shot back, but they instantly found the objective, since the Monorail was blocked by a building that turn and they couldn't shoot anything. In the end, they didn't do much, so we decided that normal troops in a light dropship were the best bet, unless they got CQB'd by exotics.

What infantry would be best for going for the Monorail in a light dropship, and are the stations worth taking?

Also, his Athena went down on round 2 to a single lucky Rapier shot. My condolences...
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

Capt Panama

Re: Catching The Train

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 2:48 pm

I played the monorail once and I did not played correctly. Now I seat and started to read carefully both monorail missions in the Phase 2 book. I think half your units must be cqb fighters and the other half normal troops for both missions. On both missions you will need troops inside the monorail or buildings.

Phantasm

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Capt Panama wrote:I played the monorail once and I did not played correctly. Now I seat and started to read carefully both monorail missions in the Phase 2 book. I think half your units must be cqb fighters and the other half normal troops for both missions. On both missions you will need troops inside the monorail or buildings.

Interesting, because neither of us had dedicated CQB troops. Somehow my Hazard Suits scared of his Medusa. However there was a brutal battle in the first station, and only 3 out of 20 Immortals got on the train before being curb stomped by the Hazard Suits.

Maybe Hazard Suits are secretly CQB exotics... :D

Capt Panama

PostSun Oct 30, 2016 4:17 pm

One of the two monorail missions you dont have to get inside the monorail and the attacker cannot use ground transports, only dropships. Normal infantry have to be reduced in size to be transported in dropships so that means more exotic and cqb experts may be required. It seems like the Resistance cannot be the attacker on Precious Metal mission. I dont see basic troops for the Resistance to be in dropships.

Maninblue

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:32 pm

Haz suits are armour 4 - a pretty good start in terms of CQB survivability. They hit non-CQB troops pretty hard, as a result.

Whether you hit the stations or not is probably dependent on whether your opponent needs to. The aim is to maximise the stuff you get on the train and minimise the stuff they do... if you can best hurt them by locking down the stations, do so. If you're better off going direct to the train and flaming the station for lols, go ahead.

There's definitely mileage in extending your AA bubble over the monorail and shooting down dropships that try to swoop in and drag off the objective.
Dave 2 / Man in Blue
~ "Something he disagreed with ate him."

Phantasm

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 5:35 pm

Maninblue wrote:Haz suits are armour 4 - a pretty good start in terms of CQB survivability. They hit non-CQB troops pretty hard, as a result.

Whether you hit the stations or not is probably dependent on whether your opponent needs to. The aim is to maximise the stuff you get on the train and minimise the stuff they do... if you can best hurt them by locking down the stations, do so. If you're better off going direct to the train and flaming the station for lols, go ahead.

There's definitely mileage in extending your AA bubble over the monorail and shooting down dropships that try to swoop in and drag off the objective.

I agree about the AA, but the fact that the Monorail functionally splits the air game in half makes things awkward. If you put your AA too far forward, they're vulnerable to probably most of the other army.

Fast Movers are a good idea. I had a lot of success in this game with a Retaliator. It nailed an APC and made a squad of Immortals arrive a turn too late. Plus interceptors can ignore the Monorail when going for light dropships.

Return to General Tactics and Army Building Ideas