It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Storm and units off the board

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Tarota

Storm and units off the board

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 2:10 am

Do air units have to make a To The Deck check if they are off-board when their activation starts? How about if they come on the board during their activation?

The obvious example is Fast Movers, but I might also decide to keep an air transport in Readiness rather than risk a check by flying into the storm.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Storm and units off the board

PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 am

I assume you are referring to the environmental rules from Rec II p. 39?

RAW FM would not have to make a roll, as it is conditioned to there activation. RAI I would argue it is clearly intended that they make one once they enter the battlefield.

I would ask you why would you play with optional rules and search ways to circumvent them taking effect? You are not required to play with those rules if you dislike them.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

Tarota

Re: Storm and units off the board

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:44 am

Lorn wrote:I assume you are referring to the environmental rules from Rec II p. 39?

RAW FM would not have to make a roll, as it is conditioned to there activation. RAI I would argue it is clearly intended that they make one once they enter the battlefield.

Thanks, yes, those are the rules. I lose track of whether a unit off the board takes an activation, or is forced to take an activation, or how exactly the mechanics of that work out.

Lorn wrote:I would ask you why would you play with optional rules and search ways to circumvent them taking effect? You are not required to play with those rules if you dislike them.

Why would I ask a rules question in the forum for rules questions, you mean?

I'd rather get rules questions answered before a game, when it's easier to look at the situation objectively.

I wasn't clear whether the storm rules are supposed to represent a local thunderstorm, that aircraft might realistically loiter outside of; or a regional event like a hurricane, which wouldn't offer the same safe access to the battlefield.

I've considered whether it makes sense to keep a transport or two off-board as a reserve in the past. If transports are actually safer off-board, then I could stumble into doing that through risk-avoidance, which I thought was neat.

Return to Rules Queries