It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:52 am

Why go on the deck?

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Spellbound

Why go on the deck?

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 5:47 pm

A lot of questions are coming up about the on the deck rule.

My question is, what good is it? Is it to hide behind lower buildings? Range doesn't seem to be an issue so why would anyone bother?

Heretic379

Re: Why go on the deck?

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 6:31 pm

It's pretty much about LOS for me. It lets you do attack runs dodging AA, and you can protect your transported units slightly better. It does a lot to neuter the massive range advantage the Phobos has, which is nice when I play PHR a lot! It can also be used to dodge the Shaltari gates' Charged Air, or for them to dodge an aircraft blockade trying to stop them getting to a specific point.

Spellbound

PostSun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Fast movers that are on the deck can't zip around buildings and the like though, right?

Personally once my skimmers are on the ground I rarely need the dropships anymore. I would rather they shoot them than use those AA guns on my skimmer tanks!! Even if they need 6's to damage.

Egge

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am

I think I have missed something.

If a flyer is close to a building will a unit close to the other side of the building see the flyer? This is how we have played, You have an minimum angle you must have to be able to fire on flyers behind buildings and so I have seen little point with hit the deck.

Heretic379

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 10:00 am

Egge wrote:If a flyer is close to a building will a unit close to the other side of the building see the flyer? This is how we have played, You have an minimum angle you must have to be able to fire on flyers behind buildings and so I have seen little point with hit the deck.

Probably not, but that depends on the height of the building in question. The important thing to remember is that the aircraft is flying at a height of 6", so all LoS needs to be drawn to/from that point rather than the height of the individual flying bases, which IIRC is a bit short.But it's more tricky avoiding distant AA fire, or those on hills/buildings.

Ghostwolf67

PostMon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Despite how high the plastic poles are the actual flying height of all aircraft whilst cruising is 6 inches. When seeing if you have line of sight to a dropship you use that height to see if you can see it (Pg 23)

So that poses a problem for most buildings as they are usually 4 inches high and even though it might look like your safely concealed behind it you actually arent (Unless you've got higher buildings and/or have agreed they are bigger than 6").

On the deck is a move that allows you to fly low behind the 4 inch high buildings and comes with a slight possibility of crashing. Its a move intended to help you dodge the horrendous ranges of some AA weapons. For fast movers as well it can aid in stopping you getting lots of reactionary firing trying to bring you down as you pass by.

Return to Rules Queries