It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Basic CQB Question

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

crookedeyeboy

Re: Basic CQB Question

PostTue Dec 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Maninblue wrote:Always happy to help a fellow Jelly. ;)

Troops don't affect CQB until the turn after they enter the building. So those destroyers would turn up too late to contribute this round (even if they did get in before the dice are rolled).
- If the fight wasn't over, they would be ready to contribute their bucket of dice next turn. In fact if it was your Warriors and Destroyers versus a single squad of Immortals then you could choose to fight them next turn with just the Destroyers and have your warriors either run off with the objective or lean out of the window to shoot up his dropship (comedy gold).
- On the other hand: if your Warriors had died or run away they would have dropped the objective. If they were in the building at the time your Destroyers would automatically pick up the objective and you would still be the building's Occupier. If they came in afterward you lost a CQB then they would be the Attacker and the Immortals would be holding the Objective.

So there are advantages to putting extra troops into a CQB even if you don't expect to lose... against the disadvantage that your Destroyers aren't introducing themselves to a different group of Immortals somewhere else. :D

- Destroyers can definitely search for objectives and are exactly as good at it as Warriors are.
- Eviscerators can search for objectives too, but are easily distracted and so suffer a 1-point penalty (to maximum of needing a 6).
- I'm told that even Razorworms can search for objectives - but they lack the hands to carry it anywhere and so they just sit around looking forlornly at the thing until someone else comes along to pick it up. ;)

Fantastic reply many thanks, that all makes complete logical sense which is why I love this game so much, logic always wins out. Now to buy some more Destroyers!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I test beer for a living - someone has to!

Weidekuh

PostWed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

One thing worth mentioning playing against Shaltari: They can't hand over an objective to a Haven (ground transport).
Only way to give a Haven an objective is when the infantry holding it dematerialize through the Haven. Then the objective sticks to the Haven.

Well what is the difference you might ask?
Handing over an objective to a ground transport doesn't count as an embark. Meaning, the empty transport with the objective can move its full mv. It's especially good for an Invader. Because it can then move 9" instead of otherwise 3".
Shaltari don't have that option.
Resistance & Shaltari

BWeatherstone

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 11:19 am

So its harder fot an Eviscerator to find an objective, I took it as adding one to the dice roll so it was easier

Maninblue

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 pm

BWeatherstone wrote:So its harder for an Eviscerator to find an objective, I took it as adding one to the dice roll so it was easier

I'm afraid so. It isn't very well worded IMHO, but it is consistently worded with other people that are bad at finding objectives.
Dave 2 / Man in Blue
~ "Something he disagreed with ate him."

Amitverse

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 1:56 pm

- Eviscerators can search for objectives too, but are easily distracted and so suffer a 1-point penalty (to maximum of needing a 6).
)

Wait. So they can always find it on a 6? I've been playing it that they auto fail to find the first turn they can search, and then need 6 on there 2nd etc.

crookedeyeboy

PostTue Feb 02, 2016 3:54 pm

Amitverse wrote:

)

Wait. So they can always find it on a 6? I've been playing it that they auto fail to find the first turn they can search, and then need 6 on there 2nd etc.

I thought it was more about you cant go higher than a 6 so even on turn one they still need a six? It just means that they spend more time with the negative modifier?

Nice to meet you finally Amit too at the weekend! I see you beat me by one point :D :D

Amitverse

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Nice to meet you finally Amit too at the weekend! I see you beat me by one point :D :D

Nice to meet you too Paul. I think in terms of results you did a bit better then me ( I had 1 win to your 2)
But we do need to have a game at some point. :D

And congratulations on most sporting.

crookedeyeboy

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks Amit it was a big surprise!

Maninblue

PostWed Feb 03, 2016 2:40 pm

crookedeyeboy wrote:I thought it was more about you cant go higher than a 6 so even on turn one they still need a six? It just means that they spend more time with the negative modifier?

Yup, that's it.
In a large building, Evis would have [6] on the first turn, [6] on the second turn, [5,6] on the third turn and so on...
I often put them into a home objective building to get that first round chance of a six (and reduce their chances of getting popped in the air), before loading up and building-hopping forward.
Dave 2 / Man in Blue
~ "Something he disagreed with ate him."

Bazlord101

PostMon Jun 27, 2016 3:44 am

Please forgive the necro, but I've asked a dumb-ass question elsewhere today and I figured I might as well get them all out in the open :-)

Re: how many rounds of CQB happen per turn, my little group (3 of us) have been playing that once the Occupiers activate and CQB commences, we keep going through the steps until either one side is annihilated, or fails their Fortitude test and legs it.

This is wrong, isn't it? There's only supposed to be one round of CQB per turn, and if both sides are still around at the end of it, they cool their jets till the next Occupier Activation, and do it all again then - right? And neither side (in the CQB) can activate to leave CQB - the Attackers cannot do anything, and when the Occupiers activate, the CQB starts up. So no-one can run away unless they flub the Fortitude test?

Thanks for not judging! (Out loud... ;-)

Baz
PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries