It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Area weapons against multiple buildings.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Guardian

Hawk Talon

Re: Area weapons against multiple buildings.

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 3:17 pm

If you target a non building and scatter to a building then you do normal damage according to the stat line. (If it originally has a demo value, then use it. Don't double it.)

If you target a building directly, you double the demo value (or the weapon get demo-2 if it doesn't have a demo value originally) and the template is removed so no units next to building can be hit by the blast.

A roll of 1 will always miss. No matter what. So if you target a building with an area weapon and roll 1, no damage happens. It's a misfire. The breach blew out. Somebody forgot the batteries, or the fuse got snuffed.
- Guardian

Dropzone - Shaltari, Scourge
Dropfleet - Shaltari, Scourge

Cohost of The HotLZ Podcast

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 4:20 pm

Guardian wrote:A roll of 1 will always miss. No matter what. So if you target a building with an area weapon and roll 1, no damage happens. It's a misfire. The breach blew out. Somebody forgot the batteries, or the fuse got snuffed.

Not so - Barrage weapons do not count 1s as a miss - see Reconquest pg 63
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA

Guardian

Hawk Talon

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 pm

pilgrim wrote:
Guardian wrote:A roll of 1 will always miss. No matter what. So if you target a building with an area weapon and roll 1, no damage happens. It's a misfire. The breach blew out. Somebody forgot the batteries, or the fuse got snuffed.

Not so - Barrage weapons do not count 1s as a miss - see Reconquest pg 63

When I get home I will. I don't have barrage weapons so I haven't studied that rule like the others
- Guardian

Garrack

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Where are you seeing blasts scattering onto buildings would hurt them? I have looked for it as it would seem sensible, but as far as I can tell from the area weapons rules templates only hit vehicles and infantry.

My understanding of barrages targeting a building, they will have no template (lost due to targeting a building) and hit on a +2 - as per building rules you can't modify that to hit roll. A roll of a one still misses and there's no template to scatter.

Guardian

Hawk Talon

PostMon Apr 11, 2016 9:08 pm

I'm on mobile so I can't link it but when the Annihilator came out Hawk Simon did a video with the Beasts of War over how IF works and they asked what happened if it scatters towards a building. (I may have dreamed that, I do think about DZC a lot...)
- Guardian

Soulmark

PostTue Apr 12, 2016 1:46 am

There's a related post on frag in the living rules section. Presumably if you need to make a Frag-X roll, the building could get damaged.

Q. If a template with the Frag-X rule touches a building (after scattering), do you need to make a Frag-X? roll
A. Yes

Garrack

PostFri Apr 15, 2016 11:42 pm

Interesting that does very much imply what you suggest. I checked the core rulebook and it definitely only states area weapons hitting infantry and vehicles. This probably deserves a proper errata if buildings are to be included.

Frag probably deserves to be removed from the rulebook anyway :p

Firebat

PostSun Apr 24, 2016 8:05 am

Area weapons are awesome! :mrgreen:

pilgrim

Hawk Talon

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 12:14 am

Garrack wrote:Interesting that does very much imply what you suggest. I checked the core rulebook and it definitely only states area weapons hitting infantry and vehicles. This probably deserves a proper errata if buildings are to be included.

Frag probably deserves to be removed from the rulebook anyway :p

Not sure that is the case - we know that some area weapons have demo, and we know that if they deliberately target a building that demo gets doubled, it logically follows that buildings under templates must get hit and demo applies, otherwise why have demo doubled for direct hits? I think you are applying too strict an interpretation
Razorworms are just Mother Natures way of reminding you why it is important to man the walls.

Ferrums are the UCM's way of reminding you to take enough AA
Previous

Return to Rules Queries