It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:11 pm

6" rule for Air. I can or can't see you.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Akdakkar

Hawk Talon

Re: 6" rule for Air. I can or can't see you.

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 6:43 am

Awasome! I prefers rounded one, looks better.

Klarg1

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 12:32 pm

What kind of paint would you use on nylon, if you wanted to cover up the natural white? Do acrylics stick properly?
Forsan et haec olim pinxisse iuvabit

I maintain a Miniatures Blog, full of detailed WIPs and random miniatures-ramblings.You can read it here: http://blindmetalminis.blogspot.com

MonksOfMadness

PostWed Jul 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Acrylics do stick, and they tend to soak in a bit, so I recommend a brushed-on base-coat of a cheaper primer first before you go to the colors you like, or just a few coats of a standard matte spray paint is a good option. You can also order them dyed from Shapeways, or dye them yourself if you want consistent matte color.

Speaking of Shapeways, I just uploaded 4-packs and 8-packs, to see if I could get a cheaper packing setup. No luck with the configurations so far—I just don't think it's worth ~15 bucks a stand to have them in nylon. I'm going to need to tweak the design to make it more cost appropriate for ordering that way, and make them pack more densely and use less material.

Therefore I'm going to put them up on Etsy instead, once I've finalized settings for production on my own 3d printer. I'll print them in PLA, which works just fine. I can say this with confidence because these particular prints I've posted pictures of were in clear PLA because that's what I had on hand for printing here on my own printer at home while prototyping.

My next thing to make is a smaller stand appropriate for smaller craft like drones, minders, monitors, and vampires. This stand would need less of an arc going to the tip ball, since it's clearing a small craft.

Then the thing after that is to make sure that it fits the largest craft, and if not, design one that does. It already fits Poseidons & Lift Hawks (I checked w/Suzume when he and I last played) and I presume it'll fit the Gaia... but need to check the Albatross. The Despoiler is so tall it doesn't even need a sight stand X-D

The good news is I'm going to GenCon, so I can check when I swing by the booth there and high-five whoever will be at the booth from Hawk :-3

Ramachese

PostTue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 am

Stompzilla wrote:Can you imagine trying to balance a Posiedon on a 6" flight stand?

I built all my flight bases so that the model can set at either 6" or 2" (simple replaceable brass rod) thereby ensuring they are at the height the rules indicate they are actually at. Stability, even on the Poseidon, has never been an issue in our games. You do have to be careful about human flailing arms but that is unrelated to stability issues.
Previous

Return to Rules Queries