It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 am

Scourge warriors combined fire & the Overseer.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Stompzilla

Scourge warriors combined fire & the Overseer.

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 1:36 pm

RAW suggests doubling of shots with no modifier to the combined E11 At shot.

RAI would suggest an oversight, since it runs counter to how this rule works with every other unit in the Scourge army and is a clear and obvious anomoly (Hence the discussions in various places and this thread).

Could we get an official answer please?

Please feel free to post your opinions until we can get an official answer from one of the Hawk boys! :mrgreen:

Mega Mike

Hawk Talon

Re: Scourge warriors combined fire & the Overseer.

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 2:13 pm

I agree it certainly needs clarifying

Potentially 1 base of Scourge Warriors (with 5 E4 shots) can drop an Energy level to 3 and double their shots to 10.
3 hits can be combined to have an E11, what if you get 9 hits, can you have 3 E11 shots.

I know that the answer is no, but this is how it is likely to be used until it is errata'd
Team ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT
Winter Invasion Champion 2017

Blog: http://www.dzcblog.blogspot.com
Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/orbital-bombardment/
Twitter: @OBDZC

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 2:41 pm

Yeah it needs clarification, in particular as it came up and was not changed. Which makes the intend less clear.

Certainly Warriors should benefit from the Ion Cradle beyond range, and I think the E10 shots would be a decent change. Also the wording would be rather easy "...Units[or "Warriros instead] using the Combined Fire rule that use the Ion Cradle to double their shots combine 3 hits into a single E10 instead of E11."

Also while we are at it is SA-X affected by the cradle or not? That one is unclear too.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

Mega Mike

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Lorn,
Do you think they can get more E10 hits? Could they get 2 or three if they got the required number of hits? That hasn't been clarified

Also for SA, I would say yes it can be used. As the plasma weapon has the SA special rule. Not sure it needs clarifying
Team ORBITAL BOMBARDMENT
Winter Invasion Champion 2017

Blog: http://www.dzcblog.blogspot.com
Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/orbital-bombardment/
Twitter: @OBDZC

LiamK

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 3:23 pm

Mega Mike wrote:Lorn,

Also for SA, I would say yes it can be used. As the plasma weapon has the SA special rule. Not sure it needs clarifying

The Small arms rule stats that all shots are replaced into a single shot for AA. Doesn't matter how many shots you have, whether its 10 or 50. You can never have more than 1 small arms shot from a base.

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:
Mega Mike wrote:Lorn,

The Small arms rule stats that all shots are replaced into a single shot for AA. Doesn't matter how many shots you have, whether its 10 or 50. You can never have more than 1 small arms shot from a base.

Thanks for clarifying and the range is also unaffected I assume? So no 12" SA?

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

German space magic for all and this time it is in Space!
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10506

time wizard

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 4:58 pm

Hawk Liam wrote:The Small arms rule stats that all shots are replaced into a single shot for AA. Doesn't matter how many shots you have, whether its 10 or 50. You can never have more than 1 small arms shot from a base.

I'm going to respectfully disagree here. {All below emphasis is mine here}

If we look at the combined fire rule, "3 hits on a single enemy unit may be combined into a single Energy 11 hit"

But AFAIK, the overseer rule says that that single hit may be doubled at -1 energy. And the concensus is that those combined fire hits would be doubled, but at E10 and not E11.

The small arms rule says in part that "A small arms weapon may replace all of its normal shots with a single AA shot at a range of 6" using the weapon's normal Ac value."

So the same at the combined fire rule allows multiple hits to be combined, the SA rule would combine all the normal shots into a single shot, which the overseer rule would then double, but at -1 E.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Garrack

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 8:16 pm

If Small arms replaces the profiles name with "Small arms" though?

OR perhaps even more sensibly....

I activate, I choose option 2....

I now have 10 shots in my profile

I choose small arms... I just replaced 10 shots with one

time wizard

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 8:22 pm

I have to apologize, I'm just kind of playing devils advocate here, but without full knowledge.

I haven't gotten my copy of the phase 2 book yet so I haven't read the full rule, so my post was kind of thinking out loud.

Those were my thoughts based on what I have read on this and a few other posts so far, once I get the full rule my position may very well change.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Garrack

PostTue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 pm

No need to apologise, SA and the Overseer is definitely something that merited clarification / certainty.
Next

Return to Rules Queries