It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:55 am

You're barred! Infantry blocking walls & building entry

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

stormbringer

You're barred! Infantry blocking walls & building entry

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 10:00 am

So, I am sure that I heard this on orbital bombardment's podcast but wanted to check the "small print".

My understanding is you simply need to move your infantry (occupying a building) to the walls by allocating them to fire from a certain wall (they dont even need a viable target?) and that prevents enemy troops entering from that wall from then on. So you can potentially block all 4 walls or just the ones which the enemy can reach.

Have I got that right or is there anything I have missed?

snolb

Hawk Talon

Re: You're barred! Infantry blocking walls & building entry

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 10:11 am

That's right! But Destroyers can break their way in and Preatorians and Marines can get in if the building are lower than 6"...
Official the worst player in Sweden!

Dedicated DzC Swedish Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/702576909788030/

stormbringer

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:34 pm

Thanks for your super speedy reply Snolb, and the extra tactical advice!

I am glad it's as straightforward as I hoped, and that there is no faffing about with having to have actually shot a unit \ building to have counted as "Manning the walls".

evilmonkey.austen

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 1:47 pm

I never knew about the 6" thing,just thought it was any building.
3 panthers :o :shock:

Does he not like having friends?? 8-)

time wizard

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 2:39 pm

evilmonkey.austen wrote:I never knew about the 6" thing,just thought it was any building.

If a structure is over 6" tall then aircraft can't fly over it and transports can't deploy units onto it.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

evilmonkey.austen

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 3:05 pm

Oh yeah
3 panthers :o :shock:

Does he not like having friends?? 8-)

Gonefishing

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:08 pm

I think I read somewhere that you can also get past them with the linked structure rule - if there's another building within 3" [or 12" with the underground monorail card] you can just port right in?

Not sure if this is right or not though - the rules for manning the walls say: "Structures cant be entered from a entrance on a wall from which enemy bases inside the building have been allocated to fire from", Linked structure says "Squads can transfer from one structure to a linked adjacent one when they would normally be able to move" (ie. They use their move to transfer) It goes onto say "Simply transfer them into the new building."

There is no mention of entrances, or which facing you enter from [just the building as a whole needs to be 3" away, not the wall you are facing] - you just transfer into the building...makes sense with things like the underground monorail where you effectively be coming up from underneath the building etc. I suppose.

I don't know if that's right though?

Nobody

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:39 pm

I haven't seen anything regarding linked buildings by themselves, usually it's related to the Underground Monorail card.

The problem is the common sense (I'm not coming in the front door, I'm coming up underneath) does not jive with rules as written.

There's also another card (Secret Entrance I think?) which allows you to enter a building from up to 6" away regardless of infantry at the walls.

time wizard

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 8:45 pm

Nobody wrote:There's also another card (Secret Entrance I think?) which allows you to enter a building from up to 6" away regardless of infantry at the walls.

That's the one (secret entrance). Also Destroyers have specific permission to enter a building even if there is no entrance or if infantry is manning the walls. Similar to Praetorians fast roping throgh the roof.

For any other units, to enter a structure there has to be an entrance (door or window) and there can't be any infantry manning that wall. This includes disembarking directly into a structure from a transport.
"I have found again and again that in encounter actions, the day goes to the side that is the first to plaster its opponent with fire." - Erwin Rommel

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

Gonefishing

PostMon Aug 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Yes - I just wondered as the specific 3" linked structure rule on page 33 does not mention entrance or facing - just a direct building to building transfer instead of movement - through a walkway or some other means.

But if the secret entrance card specifies and this rule doesn't - then its likely they cant I guess! (that must be where I read it)?

Return to Rules Queries