It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 6:46 pm

Questions following first game of Dropzone.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

CheeseCake1128

Questions following first game of Dropzone.

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi all, I'm new to Dropzone and I just played my first game this afternoon. I was playing with a friend who is also new to the game so we were learning as we played for the most part, but there were a few situations where we couldn't find the rules we needed or we were just a little unsure on so I've a few (alright, more than a few :P ) questions. If any of you would take a few moments to answer any you can or give me a page reference for answers I've simply missed in the rulebook, it would be much appreciated. Finally, hello everyone! :)

1. Can units entering from readiness shoot their weapons? I'd assume yes but just wanted to check.
2. Is range measured to/from aircraft from the center of their base, or 6"/2" above that, depending on how high it's flying?
3. The weapons carried by infantry have F/S/R stated as their arcs of fire. How does this work when firing from the wall of a structure?
4. Do all the weapons to be fired by single battlegroup have to have their shots allocated to enemy units before any dice are rolled or not? For some reason I've got it in my head (possibly from misinterpreting games I've watched on youtube) that they do but in game this led to overkill situations where units would effectively not be shooting because their allocated target had already been destroyed.
5. Do you roll twice for falling masonry if the dice score to damage a building is beaten by 2 or more? Again I'd assume yes but it never hurts to check.
6. The rules speak of entrances for structures in regards to infantry getting in, but the card buildings in the 2 player set seem a bit vague. Some have obvious doors, but others don't seem to have doors at all. Do most players agree beforehand with their opposition what counts as what, or is it just assumed that infantry can enter a building anywhere from 1" away? I remember that Warren on the Beasts of War demo seemed to deploy his infantry from an APC into a building without using a door so I'm a bit confused.
7. Is it possible for infantry to pass objectives out of buildings to anything other than their APC? To put it in context, I destroyed the APC of an enemy squad which then found an objective. Their dropship (with the other APC full of infantry onboard) was parked just next to the building, but we couldn't work out how the squad in the building could pass the objective to the other squad without ending up in the open and horribly vulnerable (all three bases died the turn after they left the building to hand over the objective).
8. Can vehicles move after embarking into a transport, that get's immediately destroyed by reaction fire? The situation was that after the squad with the objective left the building and passed it to the other APC (that had disembarked from the dropship) the dropship tried to flee with the APC that now had the objective, only to be shot down by Rapiers as soon as it moved. The APC hadn't moved yet, but had used the full 3" to get into the dropship. It just seemed a bit off that the APC still managed to move 9" in total even though it's dropship was destroyed as soon as it embarked into it.
9. When does the Rapier get to use it' heavy machine gun if it used it's gatling cannon in reaction fire? The dropship mentioned above was destroyed at the very beginning of turn 5, so the Rapier hadn't activated yet. Can the Rapier use the machinegun in the reaction fire activation (obviously not at an aircraft) or can it use it in it's own activation, or not at all? The rules seem to say that reaction fire is instead of shooting in it's own activation.

Sorry for the huge post, but any insight at all would be really appreciated. :)
- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Lorn

Hawk Talon

Re: Questions following first game of Dropzone.

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

1. Yes there is no restriction forbidding them.

2. Measured from the centre in 2D no 3D measuring in DZC.

3.There the limiting factor is the LoS which usually is around 180°.

4. That one is a bit more complicated for all factions aside Shaltri the shots are allocated for Squads not Battlegroups, though in some cases this can be identical due to a Battlegroup only having one Squad. For Shaltari all shots within a Battlegroup are allocated at the same time, an often forgotten hedgehog weakness. So yes in both cases overkill scenarios can arise.

5. As I understand your question yes you roll falling masonry per point of damage a damage roll 2 higher then required causes 2 points of damage (or more if it has Demolisher) thus causes 2 falling masonry rolls.

6. Windows are also entrances, pretty much rendering this limitation moot if you are using the cardboard buildings. Which pretty much is intended.

7. I would have to check the FAQ on that one.

8. As the rules explicitly allow you to move after you transport is crashed I fear yes you can move even if your dropship got shot down.

9. Yes only the weapon that shot in reaction fire cannot shoot. But you cannot reaction fire against ground targets thus the HMG the Rapier has (which has no AA) cannot shoot reaction fire you would have to wait until your activation.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

CheeseCake1128

PostSat Nov 26, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you for your response, that's cleared a lot up. :)

In regards to allocating shots on a squad basis rather than battlegroup, do transports count as part of the squad or are they treated as independent squads? I imagine they're treated as being independent seen as though there is potential to have multiple squads travel in a single transport, but then they're never really treated as a separate squad in force organisation so I wouldn't know.

- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 11:05 am

Actually no, p. 48 top right states "Transports complete their actions simultaneously with their Squad. ...move at the same time and shoot at the same time."

Regarding shared transports you will find that p. 49 para 7 is regulating this "Sharing Large Transports" there it states "Although they are seperate, Squads sharing the same transport complete their actions simultaneously..."

CheeseCake1128

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Ahh I must have missed that somehow, thanks for including the page references. :)
- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Neiloid

PostSun Nov 27, 2016 10:24 pm

Well most questions seem to have been pretty well covered.

7) Objectives can be passed to any unit except air transports, so yes an objective can be passed to most other units if they are close enough.

8) That sounds legitimate to me, 3" half movement, then boarding from 3" away then 'getting out' within 3".

CheeseCake1128

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 12:00 am

Well, I've a half dozen or so more games under my belt now...and just as many more questions! I'm really beginning to wonder if I've missed an entire chapter when reading the book or what... :P Any more help with answers would as always be greatly appreciated. :)

1. Imagine a medium dropship carrying two APCs, each carrying 3 bases of infantry. Now imagine that a 6 is rolled on the "Aircraft Destroyed" table. From what I read it seemed that the APCs were destroyed instantly, and then you'd roll against the ground transport destroyed table?

2. If an objective is carried by a base of infantry in the above example, (or carried by anything in an exploding dropship really) is the objective destroyed alone with them like in a collapsing building, or is it just placed back on the table?

3. Can one unit hold multiple objectives or are they limited to one each? Similarly, can one squad hold multiple objectives? I'd assume that a squad can hold at least one objective for every unit in it, but wasn't sure about objectives per unit.

4. UCM tanks receive a 2" MV boost when travelling on roads. How does this work with the MF value or weapons? Does the MF receive +2", is the bonus movement not included when considering MF, or is it simply one or the other, move a little further OR shoot your weapon?

5. Also about the bonus movement mentioned above, do APCs still receive this bonus if they can only move half their usual MV value (such as having just disembarked infantry/about to embark infantry)? I know the rule states that movement inside a transport doesn't count, so when deploying from a dropship there is no bonus, but this isn't that to my mind.

6. I'd assume no for this one, but can units move through one another? Mostly this applied for units in the same squad rather than other friendly/enemy units.

7. This one I have found in the book, but just wanted to clarify my thinking was correct. Aircraft aren't considered as hull down ever. Does this mean that line of sight is measured to the center of the model, and you can either see the whole thing or not based on whether you can see the center despite how much of the physical model you can actually see?

8. Do infantry deploy 3" away from APC's as per normal deployment rules? This seems to be the case, it just seemed a little off that they could move so far, as it kinda negates the need for the rule "if the transport is 1" away from a building infantry can deploy straight into it" as surely the APC could instead just stop 5" away from the building, deploy the infantry 3", the infantry move 1", then at least one base of infantry will be 1" away from the structure and as such able to enter it?

9. Can aircraft fire weapons when landed?

10. Does the 2" penalty for taking off/landing count against the MF value on an aircraft's weapons? For example, would a Condor dropship be able to move 7" or 9" if it had just taken off and wanted to fire it's missile pod (9" MF value)?

I apologise again for a huge post, but hopefully some of the questions are at least interesting enough to be enjoyable to answer. :)

-CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 am

1. Would have to check the FAQ on that one.

2. If the Infantry is destroyed in the air (or whatever unit carrying the objective) it is destroyed as well.

3. A unit can hold an unlimited number of objectives, there simply is no restriction and this is intended.

4. You can either shoot or move the extra 2", as you spotted you only get Mv not MF.

5. You do not get the road for disembarking 3" but for any (halved) movement you make afterwards, be advised thought as the road bonus is a +2" to Mv it is halved like the Mv if the vehicle disembarked and has no special rules stating otherwise.

6. Nope at least ground units.

7. Correct.

8. Embarking in a building counts as a embark/disembark so it matters if your APC started in a transport as the Infantry could not embark a building directly without the 1" rule, as it would require it to make 3 embark/disembarks the first being the APC disembarking the transport (which also counts for the infantry) the second from the APC and the last entering the building.

9. Yes.

10. Tricky one as it reduces the Mv and not count as using it up I would say no.

CheeseCake1128

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 4:01 am

When you say FAQ are you referring to an official Hawk document or another thread on the forum as I can't find anything on the Hawk Wargames site...
There are a few of your answers I don't quite understand...

5. Do you mean to say that in the given example of a bear embarking/disembarking infantry, then moving on a road, would gain 2" THEN half the total, for a 4" final move?

6. Are Aircraft assumed to fly over/under each other then and are allowed to move through each other?

8. I've reread the transports section of the rulebook and can't find anything saying that deploying the APC from the dropship counts as a disembark action for the infantry. I don't at all mean to imply you're wrong, just can you tall me where that's written? Or is it obviously implied by what is written and I'm just missing it?

- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 5:15 am

The Errata is in the Downloads section here: http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/errata

There is also the Living Rules thread in the DZC Rules Queries section of this forum that has the answers to a lot more FAQs. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5007

5. Yes that is correct.

6. The model has to be able to fit on the table that is all. It is mentioned in the Living Rules that Fast Movers ignore other aircraft when making their attack runs so it seems fair that more agile non Fast Movers would also ignore other aircraft.

From the Living Rules we have the answer to 8.
Q. A Bear APC is being transported by a Condor drop ship. A squad of infantry is in the APC. Can the drop ship disembark the APC, the APC disembark the infantry and the infantry enter a building (assuming all the distances are met of course) all in one activation?
A. The infantry also leave the condor and then leave the bear so they could not then enter a building as that would be a third disembark/embark move. However, this is where the 2 for 1 combo applies, if the bear is within 1 inch of a building the infantry can exit the bear and enter the building as 1 move and therefore don't do more than 2 disembark/embark moves that turn.
Next

Return to Rules Queries