It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:38 am

Questions following first game of Dropzone.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

CheeseCake1128

Re: Questions following first game of Dropzone.

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 2:40 pm

Ace, thank you both very much! Looks like I've got a fair bit more reading to do now then...though hopefully it'll mean I don't have so many questions to post in future! Thanks for all the help guys. :)

- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

No problem!

Hopefully once they redo the website and forums after the Kickstarter stuff has calmed down this stuff will be easier to find. In the mean time don't hesitate to ask for any other help!

CheeseCake1128

PostTue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Having only recently gotten into Dropzone I don't really know much about the kickstarter. (though in the future fully intend to build a UCM fleet! :P ) From what I've read it seems to be taking longer than expected, but having nothing to do with it I've really no idea. As a Talon/older member of the community, have you any idea on time scales in regards to finishing that and us seeing a new/updated site? Also, I noticed in the Phase 1 book that there were a few scenery items shown in photos such as the monorail and laser thingy. I also saw civilian vehicles. As a UCM player I'd love to have a fair bit of scatter terrain to hide behind and shoot over, but so far it appears to be the only model from Phase 1 not yet available?

- CheeseCake
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 3:45 am

Civilian Vehicles are currently only available at shows. Last summer Hawk ran a special on their website and allowed folks to order Show Only models from there for, I think, a week. They might do that again. Hopefully they'll release the civilian vehicle packs for general consumption some time, too.

In the meantime, you can get packs of N scale cars and buses online for dirt cheap. These are great right out of the bag, or you can glue them to some kind of scenic base, and/or you can weather them to look more 160+ years old and abandoned.

As far as the website goes, I don't know, but I'm pretty certain they're not going to be selling Dropflert on it until every last Kickstarter backer has gotten their stuff. We really don't know how many folks are left to be taken care of, so can't say for certain when any work will be done to the website, other than, "eventually".

Sorry, best I can do... :?
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

CheeseCake1128

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Now this will probably sound rather silly but...shows? I've played a few tabletop games in the past but I've never really gotten involved beyond the local gaming club. Not that I particularly envision going to anything quite as of yet, but if there was a list of dates or something then it'd be useful for checking the Hawk site to see if any of these "show only" models are available? :)

Ahaha fair enough, having no idea will make it a nicer surprise when I log in one day to find it all revamped. :P

- CheeseCake1128
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 am

Shows, Cons, major gaming conventions. Where do you live? Hawk attends the big ones in the UK and US, and a few in Europe each year. They also have their own events, Invasion, which are held in January and September.

The big US shows are the Las Vegas Open (first weekend in February), Adepticon (Chicago, March or April, can't recall), Origins (Columbus, Ohio), Gen Con (the biggest show of its kind in the world! Indianapolis, IN, early August) and NOVA (Arlington, VA, Labor Day Weekend).

I'm not as familiar with the UK shows, but they include UK Games Day, and Salute.

In Germany, Hawk goes to Speil.

Hope that helps... :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:44 am

Spiel which means Game.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:55 am

Lorn wrote:

Spiel which means Game.

Oops. Thanks...

CheeseCake1128

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:34 am

Ahaha it's okay, I took German at GCSE and can still remember some of the simple words. :P What are the Invasion events? For some reason I feel like they're tournaments as I seem to remember reading/seeing something to do with Invasion that had the names of winners and such, but I could be talking complete rubbish. I think in general I'd appreciate any info or any pointers where to get info as I've never gone anywhere gaming related beyond the local club as I said above but I'm kinda interested to try it, and a Hawk run event sounds like it could be a good place to get a taster? :)

- CheeseCake
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:29 am

Where are you located? The UK? Well, yes, Invasion is a two day tournament, but they also have an Open Day for people who just want to drop by and see all the latest artwork and concept stuff, buy stuff, or even get in a demo game or a pickup game. So it's a show and a tournament -- lots of shows also have tournaments at them, but not all.

Invasion will be the last weekend in January, in Croydon, UK, so there's still time to go! The tournament is £30, and a pass to the Open Day is £10 (although both of those are "per day", I think, but they all do include lunch, so...!)

If you can hop on a train and go, I would, you lucky devil! Go for the Open Day, and watch the tournament, or go for the tournament and have an immersive experience. For a lot of people Invasion is their first time playing Dropzone Commander, so it's not unusual to find total noobs there just learning the ropes. Five games over two days will help clear up a lot of rules questions, and give the game a chance to really sink into your brain!

(The Hawk booth is in the same room as the tournament, so you can always drift over and browse the concept art, talk to the Hawk Team, or buy that blister you can't find locally between rounds, and before and after the event...)

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries