It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 pm

Questions following first game of Dropzone.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

LiamK

Re: Questions following first game of Dropzone.

PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

J.D. Welch wrote:Where are you located? The UK? Well, yes, Invasion is a two day tournament, but they also have an Open Day for people who just want to drop by and see all the latest artwork and concept stuff, buy stuff, or even get in a demo game or a pickup game. So it's a show and a tournament -- lots of shows also have tournaments at them, but not all.

Invasion will be the last weekend in January, in Croydon, UK, so there's still time to go! The tournament is £30, and a pass to the Open Day is £10 (although both of those are "per day", I think, but they all do include lunch, so...!)

If you can hop on a train and go, I would, you lucky devil! Go for the Open Day, and watch the tournament, or go for the tournament and have an immersive experience. For a lot of people Invasion is their first time playing Dropzone Commander, so it's not unusual to find total noobs there just learning the ropes. Five games over two days will help clear up a lot of rules questions, and give the game a chance to really sink into your brain!

(The Hawk booth is in the same room as the tournament, so you can always drift over and browse the concept art, talk to the Hawk Team, or buy that blister you can't find locally between rounds, and before and after the event...)

Just to clarify, it is £30 for the tournament for the whole weekend and £10 for a open weekend pass (includes both days).

Tickets and more information for the event can be found here: http://www.hawkwargames.com/collections ... and-events

CheeseCake1128

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 4:21 am

I don't know if my best bet is to just create a new thread now, but I'll give posting the set of questions on here to try and keep it all together for easy referencing. As you've all been so helpful with past questions, most games have gone by without a hitch but occasionally we still come up with shady areas that the rules don't seem to cover, so I've a few more questions to ask if you'd be willing to help again. :)

1. Do passive saves give the unit a save against ALL sources of damage unless otherwise stated in the units rules? I'd figure yes but the wording isn't very concise as it only shows up in the "Shooting" section of the rulebook.

2. What happens when an area weapon blast marker deviates from the intended target so that it hits a building as well? I know that a direct hit to a building removes the template and the shot gains demolisher-2, but what happens if part of the template is still over the target and part of it is over the building? Is the template removed and a demolisher-2 shot scored against the building, is the contact with the building ignored or do you score a hit against both the intended target AND the building, but without the demolisher-2?

3. This one is lots of small questions about passing objectives, so a list of "yes" and "no" will suffice for an answer.
a. Can infantry pass an objective to their APC whilst onboard?
b. Can infantry pass an objective to another infantry squad whilst both squads are in APCS being carried by a shared dropship?
c. Can a vehicle pass an objective to another unit in the same squad whilst they're all aboard a dropship?
d. Can infantry pass an objective to another base of the same squad whilst embarked in an APC?

4. Finally, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this but is the ruling for intel in RP:2 the same as in the original rulebook but finding an objective is replaced with finding a focal point, and the intel blowing up as a booby trap is the same but without the intel being removed? The last game of recon I played ended 5-3 to me, but come turn 4 I had run out of buildings to search seeing as the opponents homefield objectives had turned into a bomb and an objective (and I may have demolished the third to kill a squad of infantry... :P ). So this turned recon into a defensive game of annihilating infantry and defending my buildings rather than rushing about the board collecting intel as whereas I had none left to search my opponent still had all three buildings in my half of the board.

Thank you in advance for any answers provided! :)
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 5:16 am

CheeseCake1128 wrote:I don't know if my best bet is to just create a new thread now, but I'll give posting the set of questions on here to try and keep it all together for easy referencing. As you've all been so helpful with past questions, most games have gone by without a hitch but occasionally we still come up with shady areas that the rules don't seem to cover, so I've a few more questions to ask if you'd be willing to help again. :)

No problem.

1. Do passive saves give the unit a save against ALL sources of damage unless otherwise stated in the units rules? I'd figure yes but the wording isn't very concise as it only shows up in the "Shooting" section of the rulebook.

That depends. If a vehicle or aircraft unit has a passive save, it can only ever be damaged by Shooting (note that a weapon with a Range of "CC" is still a Shooting attack). If an Infantry unit has a passive save (such as Destroyers), then it would have one in CQB, vs Shooting, and for Falling Masonry.

So, then, the answer is "Yes, the PS is against all forms of damage that the unit is subject to."

2. What happens when an area weapon blast marker deviates from the intended target so that it hits a building as well? I know that a direct hit to a building removes the template and the shot gains demolisher-2, but what happens if part of the template is still over the target and part of it is over the building? Is the template removed and a demolisher-2 shot scored against the building, is the contact with the building ignored or do you score a hit against both the intended target AND the building, but without the demolisher-2?

I'm pretty sure it's the last one. Go back and read the entire section on Area Markers, don't stop until you get to a new heading, and you'll get your answer. ;)

3. This one is lots of small questions about passing objectives, so a list of "yes" and "no" will suffice for an answer.

OK
a. Can infantry pass an objective to their APC whilst onboard?

Yes
b. Can infantry pass an objective to another infantry squad whilst both squads are in APCS being carried by a shared dropship?

No
c. Can a vehicle pass an objective to another unit in the same squad whilst they're all aboard a dropship?

No
d. Can infantry pass an objective to another base of the same squad whilst embarked in an APC?

Doesn't matter at that point, it's in the squad. When they disembark you can decide which unit is carrying it.

4. Finally, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask this
Why not?
but is the ruling for intel in RP:2 the same as in the original rulebook but finding an objective is replaced with finding a focal point, and the intel blowing up as a booby trap is the same but without the intel being removed?

And you get a VP if the intel blows up on you, but not if it turns into a FP. Yes.

The last game of recon I played ended 5-3 to me, but come turn 4 I had run out of buildings to search seeing as the opponents homefield objectives had turned into a bomb and an objective (and I may have demolished the third to kill a squad of infantry... :P ). So this turned recon into a defensive game of annihilating infantry and defending my buildings rather than rushing about the board collecting intel as whereas I had none left to search my opponent still had all three buildings in my half of the board.

Well, that's what happens sometimes.

But every building had a piece of intel in it, right? Why did you only have "three buildings in [your] half of the board"? (Emphasis mine.). You should have around 15 buildings spread across a 4'x4' board, give or take...

Thank you in advance for any answers provided! :)

You're welcome.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

CheeseCake1128

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:02 am

Thank you for the concise answer!

That's what I thought regarding passive saves (I was mostly asking for the purposes of Destroyers saving against falling masonry and CQB).

As for the area marker question though I've just read the page again and can't find the answer. I don't know if I'm missing it or whether I just didn't explain the question very well so I'll try again. Essentially what happened in game was that the Kodiak targeted a Hunter with it's area weapon. The shot deviated by an inch towards a building, so the template still partially covered the Hunter (the intended target) but also covered a little of the building. In the rulebook I can only find ruling for when a direct hit is scored against a building, in which case the template is removed. In the case I just described this would seem a bit odd as the Hunter would then escape the blast. My question is what happens when any blast template covers both a vehicle unit AND a structure, for as it's not a direct hit to the building I'd assume the template wasn't removed, especially if the vehicle was the intended target as then you could just avoid template weapons by staying close to buildings. Does that make sense?

Excellent, all those objective passing situations are essentially "Could you do it in reality" then. An infantry man COULD pass the objective to the APC driver whilst on board, but the Sabre driver COULDN'T get out and hand an objective to another Sabre whilst flying in a dropship.

Well just as I don't actually have the book yet so I'm not sure how sharing rules is looked upon in the forums. What I know about it already though I've read on here so I figured it was okay, I just wasn't sure. That ruling sounds more interesting though as it doesn't allow for "dead" buildings, every building that originally had strategic value will remain so throughout rather than losing intel as an objective or as an explosion.

As for only having three buildings, we still only play on the 3'x4' board that comes with the starter as that's as big as the sheet of wood we put on the bed is (it's kinda awkward to take up the downstairs table when we take so ages with a single game! :P ) so we had three buildings on each side then two on the center line. I'd searched the 3 on my side and the two in the center, but the three on the other side either blew up as bad intel, got removed as an objective, or I demolished to kill infantry (which all in all is my fault :P ). 
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:42 am

I need to look it up to be sure, but essentially you're right -- it needs to be a direct hit targeting the building for the template to "be removed" and replaced with a Demo-2 hit. The vehicle under the template takes the damage, but I think the building also takes a hit, just not a Demo-2 hit, at normal E. Need to read thru that, but I gotta crash right now... Will leave this page open and get back to you about that "glancing" damage on the building... It could be that because the building wasn't targeted, it doesn't any take damage... Will get back to you... Eventually... :P
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

LiamK

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 11:40 am

Moved this topic to the rules queries forum.

Egge

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 3:38 pm

Regarding Recon. Remember that there are always 2 pieces of intel in each building. One that you can take and one for the opponent.

Rumour has it some stupid guy in Scandinavia made this huge mistake of assuming only one piece of intel should be in each building. It changes the mission much to the better.

CheeseCake1128

PostFri Feb 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Any luck with that question JD? I've been reading through the FAQ on the Hawk site and haven't found anything for it on there which makes me thing the answer must be obvious if no one else has asked it... :P
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:18 am

Nope, I'm mistaken, a scattering area marker that touches a structure has no effect on that structure. It has to be a direct hit on the structure. The reason being that the area weapon is coming directly down from above and by the time it gets to the ground in its scatter, it has passed the top of the structure and thus does no damage to it.

You could, in addition, have a house rule that says that if the scatter is sufficient to move the area marker such that it's center is over the top of the structure that it constitutes a direct hit on that structure, but that's not completely RAW, and would just be a house rule.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you -- been dealing with a medical problem that my wife is suffering from, didn't have time to dig out my Rulebook and read the Area Weapons section until just now...

ElectricPaladin

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 7:57 am

Neiloid wrote:7) Objectives can be passed to any unit except air transports, so yes an objective can be passed to most other units if they are close enough.

Note that Shaltari gates are an exception to this rule. If an infantry unit holding an objective steps into a spirit (or a haven, which then gets picked up by an eden or some other flying gate), the objective ends up being carried by the flying transport. Since Shaltari infantry units don't actually sit "in" their transports, this is the only way that a Shaltari transport can carry objectives.

Freaking hedgehogs. Gotta be different.
Space Hedgehog
PreviousNext

Return to Rules Queries