It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:45 am

Questions following first game of Dropzone.

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

CheeseCake1128

Re: Questions following first game of Dropzone.

PostSun Feb 12, 2017 9:02 am

Ahh thank you JD! That seems to be the impression the rulebook gives. Did you find anything written about it anywhere or is that just the commonly accepted way to play it? It seems odd that it wouldn't be obvious though, are area weapons not all that regularly used? I personally plan to have Longbows, Mortar Teams and a Kodiak at least. :P
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 7:24 am

Well, not a lot of weapons are area weapons, so it's not that widespread, and UCM do have a fair number of them. But in actuality it just doesn't come up all that often, since the templates don't scatter all that much and the unit being targeted would have to be awfully close to a building, which is generally not a good idea to begin with. It's technically not RAW, I just offered it as a suggestion for a possible house rule if it ever comes up...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

CheeseCake1128

PostMon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 am

Fair enough, I suppose the Hunters were literally touching the building and I was indirectly firing the Kodiak without scouts so I imagine it won't happen very often when me and my opponent get better at the game. Thank you for all the help though! (Unfortunately however I bought a pair of Archangels and will be using them in my next game so be prepared for a page of fast mover questions... :P ) :)
- CheeseCake1128

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 am

;)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

ElectricPaladin

PostTue Feb 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: blast weapons.

It's important to remember that with the scale this game is at, a bit of ordnance could easily have a pretty large explosive radius and still not be able to effect multiple models. We're pretty zoomed out as it is.
Space Hedgehog

CheeseCake1128

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm back again! Again less questions before, and again more complicated. Any more help would be great. :)

1. I asked this last time but it occurred again in game and I realized that there hadn't been an official (Hawk approved) answer. The Kodiak once again scattered onto a building, but to my understanding that's not classed as a direct hit (the center of the template wasn't over) so what happens? In game it didn't really make any difference either way, but it just gets to me that there's a sort of unanswered question in the rules, so if anyone can show me anywhere that that's been clarified then that would be great.

2. Can infantry who leave a building having failed a moral check after CQB, but HAVEN'T yet activated (would have to be the aggressors) re-enter the building in their activation? Also as a sub question, which of leaving/entering a building counts as an embark/disembark, and which counts as taking up their movement? Can a squad leave one building and enter another/can a squad enter a building then leave it? (Regardless of whether or not you'd ever do it in game, I'm looking for whether it's against the rules or not).

3. How does the "only 2 embarks/disembarks" rule work with a Lifthawk? To my understanding, a Condor can drop off two bears (two disembarks for the Condor, 1 for each infantry squad and bear), but the Lifthawk carries 3 Jacksons. I'd assume there would be a workaround so that the Lifthawk wasn't penalized for carrying 3 rather than 2 (either that or I'm just misunderstanding the rules) but I really don't know.

4. I asked before about passing objectives, but I'd like a little clarification on infantry passing objectives out of buildings. It's my understanding that infantry have to leave the building to pass an objective off UNLESS they're passing it to their own APC, where it's assumed the driver pops out to meet them at the door or something (this is where leaving then entering a building from question 2 ties in). Is this right?

5. Am I right in thinking that a Scourge commander in a Desolator will never draw a full hand of command cards in the first turn as he/she is technically not on the table?

6. A force that doesn't have a commander can use a CV of one in regards to command cards. How about in regards to initiative? If I buy a CV4 commander, and my opponent doesn't buy a commander at all, do I get +4 to my initiative roll and the opponent get's +1 (essentially +3 for me), or do I get +4 and my opponent get nothing because they don't have a commander?

BONUS QUESTION
This is more of a "from experience" question rather than a rules query.
7. Is it a typical Dropzone experience for most things to have been destroyed by turn 6? I played Targets of Opportunity against Resistance (650pts ish if I remember correctly) recently and it came down to kill points, where I had 485 points, which meant my opponent only had about 115pts left, in the form of rocketless Thunder wagons, empty Jacksons, an empty Kraken and a Hannibal. It just feels that really if you focus on destroying the opponent completely from turn 1 when they're focusing on the mission, they'll lose too many assets by opening themselves to your fire when trying to hit focal points or grab objectives, which you can then take once you've destroyed the competition. It just feels a bit odd. Both I and my opponents are all relatively new though so it could be down to not being very good at the game, and how to achieve mission objectives AND annihilate the opponent/not get annihilated yourself.

Thank you for any and all answers! :)
- CheeseCake1128

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:04 am

Have you checked there?

http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/errata

I am rather certain some of your questions are in the FAQ.
In regards to others (or the ones I know by heart):

3. Essentially it is not a embark/disembark action per Jackson but you have 2 embark/disembark actions which you can use for X Jacksons. So you can either unload all at one point (1 embark/disembark) or 2 on 1 point and 1 on a second (2 disembarks) but not stop 3 times and disembark each separately.

5. Indeed unless you use some sort of special scenario you never be on the table T1.

6. A Commander means CV 1 for all purposes.

7. Depends on the factions and missions I had games like the one you describe which where a bloodbath and games we spend circling around each other with little dead. The more Scourge are involved the more it tends to be a bloodbath for either side.
Last edited by Lorn on Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

BlackLegion

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 10:28 am

1. It just creates a single hit. As the building wasn't targeted directly.

2. No. Being in CQB counts as already been activated and so they can't do nothing during the turn.

3. You don't use a Embark/Disembark-Action per dropped squad. You don't count squads. You count actions.

5. Correct. For all Commanders not being on the table.

6. Without Commander you have CV1

7. Yes the kill ratio is pretty high :)
Previous

Return to Rules Queries