It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:16 am

Thor barrage

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Timecommander

Thor barrage

PostMon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi,,
As a newbie to Dropzone I'm struggling to work out exactly how you use the barrage chart. Could someone talk me through it please.
Last edited by Timecommander on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave23121985

Hawk Talon

Re: Thor barrarge

PostMon Dec 05, 2016 11:17 pm

Your weapon profile will have barrage x so let's say you had a unit of three cyclones then the squad has a barrage value of three as they are barrage 1 each or 6 for non countered range as you double your barrage value vs non active countermeasure targets!

Remember a 1 never misses with barrage you just scatter
Autumn invasion 2015 5th 3269kp
Tilgate tactical 3rd 2744kp
Costal assult 2016 1st
Critical engagement 2016 2nd
Coastal assault 2016 2nd 2187kp
Warfare 2016 2nd 4637kp

Timecommander

Re: Thor barrage

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay have been ill.
Sorry still don't get it.
Let me put it a way I may understand, my two Thor's have a barrage value of 1 each giving a squad value of 2. My target is 30 inches away and I have line of sight via one of my Janus scouts, so my accuracy is still 3+. I can see I have 3 choices of template for 30 inches but this is where it looses me, how do you use the chart. I assume after the next stage you see how many targets you've managed to hit and use the Thor's energy value against the targets armour in the normal fashion. any throws of a 1 don't miss they just scatter.
Last edited by Timecommander on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farrier

Re: Thor barrarge

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Pick the target that both your Thors will be firing on and use column 2:

upto 6" away - use the large template
between 6"-12" - medium template
between 12"-18" - large template

All targets under the template are hit as per the area fire rules.

If the original target did not have any countermeasures then use the measurements in column 4 as your Thor's barrage values will be doubled.

So in your example, the target is 30" away so you would use the small template. If your target had countermeasures you would not be able to hit it

Timecommander

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 pm

At Last now I get it. I've read that a barrage overcomes countermeasures by shear weight of volume, not realising the volume comes from the number Thor's in the squad(a good marketing ploy). One more question, can a dropship be targeted as the barrage will be raining down from above.

farrier

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 8:56 pm

I don't think so as the only thing that can target a flying aircraft is a weapon with an AA value.

I'm not sure about how it works when a dropship lands to drop of troops, however. How long does the dropship wait on the ground, till it activates next turn? Is it treated as a ground target for this time?

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let us both know :)

Nobody

PostSun Dec 11, 2016 9:04 pm

farrier wrote:I don't think so as the only thing that can target a flying aircraft is a weapon with an AA value.

I'm not sure about how it works when a dropship lands to drop of troops, however. How long does the dropship wait on the ground, till it activates next turn? Is it treated as a ground target for this time?

The owner of the dropship can declare that the dropship remains grounded after disembarking, but I believe the usual convention is that they take back off again immediately.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 8:35 am

Nobody wrote:
farrier wrote:I don't think so as the only thing that can target a flying aircraft is a weapon with an AA value.

The owner of the dropship can declare that the dropship remains grounded after disembarking, but I believe the usual convention is that they take back off again immediately.

Yes, a normal disembark or embark is a "touch-&-go", or to use another term, "dustoff ".

Aircraft can only be targeted by weapons with the AA rule, unless they have actually landed (not simply disembarked/embarked their cargo), in which case anything that could shoot a tank can shoot them.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Return to Rules Queries