It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 am

Combined Fire and Passive Saves

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

Combined Fire and Passive Saves

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 2:20 am

Came up in a game and I'm not sure the answer. So squad of Scourge Warriors fire at a Shaltari tank. Dose the Shaltari unit get a passive save against each of the 5 shots (assuming they hit) or does it get a single passive against a combined E11?

Quick search came up with nothing so please point me to the right source if this has been asked before.

Nobody

Re: Combined Fire and Passive Saves

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 2:48 am

Cry of the Wind wrote:Came up in a game and I'm not sure the answer. So squad of Scourge Warriors fire at a Shaltari tank. Dose the Shaltari unit get a passive save against each of the 5 shots (assuming they hit) or does it get a single passive against a combined E11?

Quick search came up with nothing so please point me to the right source if this has been asked before.

The closest answer I can find may be the one used for the Focus Fire ruling:

Q. When taking Passive saves against focus attacks, do you save against all the hits individually and
then combine them or do you combine the hits and save against the combined attack?
A. You combine the hits and then roll your passive save against the combined attack(s).

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 4:40 am

Thats the FAQ I cited for my ruling on it. Just wondered if there was anything else I missed.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 am

Its basically the same mechanic, just slightly different, mainly so that it restricts the Warriors' ability to a single base, and only 3 hits -- otherwise, with the Overseer now in play, it would be stupidly broken if every three hits was able to be combined into a single E11 hit.

I really don't see a difference between this and the Focus rule, and how Passive Saves are determined against either/both... It's a common sense thing, IMO -- meaning, if someone were to question it simply because there wasn't a specific ruling/FAQ for Combined Fire... Common sense says, it functions the same as Focus, so treat them the same way...
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

wario

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 5:36 am

So when 3 of my drones hit I have to say that I combine them to E12 and then there will be one passive save against it?

I thought it would be that the opponent has to do 3 passive saves and then I can choose how to combine?
Regards,
Wario

Skylifter-1000

PostTue Aug 29, 2017 5:53 am

I also thought it was roll to hit, passive saves, combine remaining hits if you want. Has that changed lately?

Return to Rules Queries