It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:12 am

HQ Element in Clash and larger games

Stuck on a rules interpretation, get it answered here!
  • Author

smoltz29brave

HQ Element in Clash and larger games

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 1:08 pm

Being new to the game, I'm a bit confused by something. In clash and larger sized games, the army builders denote that you require one HQ element, and that element must contain one unit that has the category type of 'Command.' I'm playing UCM, and the only units I see that have that annotation are the Kodiak and the Phoenix. Does this mean that every list I have must include one of these two units?

I thought I read in the rules you could buy a commander for a certain point value and mount him in any vehicle. If you do that, is that unit then coded in the command category?

I'm playing a 1000 point game and don't want to pay more than 10% of my points for a command unit whose only offensive ability is to call in an orbital strike. While it's powerful, it doesn't seem like it offers the flexibility or the number of shots per turn that something of commensurate price could get me (a squad of three Sabres or Katanas, for example). Or maybe I'm totally wrong and the Kodiak is awesome....

dread2005

Hawk Talon

Re: HQ Element in Clash and larger games

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Well the much more important impact is the bigger chance of Initiative and the number of Command Cards you can play and hold!

it makes much more fun with cards in my opinion.

and i prefer the Kodiak, orbital strike is a mighty tool out there.

And yes you are forced to bring a command unit, so is your opponent as well.
Quote: " nothing is ever easy " by zedicus zul zorrander

Dropfleet ADMIRAL may Mankind conquer the universe
UCM ~2500 Points, PHR ~2000 Points

Dropzone GENERAL revenge of Mankind
PHR 2000 Points, UCM 3500 Points

Ljevid

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 2:09 pm

smoltz29brave wrote:Or maybe I'm totally wrong and the Kodiak is awesome....

Don't forget that the Kodiak now fields a small template.

That means you often hit at least two units.
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man ON fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life...

Lorn

Hawk Talon

PostWed Jan 25, 2017 3:14 pm

Ljevid wrote:
smoltz29brave wrote:Or maybe I'm totally wrong and the Kodiak is awesome....

Don't forget that the Kodiak now fields a small template.

That means you often hit at least two units.

Indeed check the errata.

http://www.hawkwargames.com/blogs/errata

German space magic for PHR would you like to know more?
http://www.hawkforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=7017

smoltz29brave

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks all for the help. That clears things up. Especially the errata, of which I was unaware. The small blast template is a plus.

But don't you need to take a scout unit to call in that fire? Meaning in order to get the single-shot per turn, you need to spend the points for the Kodiak and at least four Wolverines? That seems like a lot to pay for a single short per turn....

Is it worth it?

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 3:24 am

You don't need a scout to fire it. Scout just removes the +2 Acc penalty. Since it is now a template there is still a decent chance of hitting something with it without using scouts if the target is a large enough group. Otherwise you still hit buildings directly on a 2+ which I do fairly often with my Kodiak. I tend to use the Wolverines with it anyway though since having the extra AA is nice and they are annoying for people to waste shots on them. That said I probably roll a 1 to hit more often than is statistically likely so I have been favouring my Phoenix more often these days.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostSun Jan 29, 2017 5:40 am

Also, Starsprite Drones have the Scout rule (as they should, because, "drones"...), so any Drone can spot for the Kodiak.

The Kodiak is a decent commander. You don't necessarily take a command vehicle for its offensive capability. Not everyone likes the Phoenix. Personally, I do, but there's nothing wrong with taking a Kodiak instead...

And that one zot is pretty damn powerful when it hits, which it's much more likely to do now with the template. You just don't try to use it to snipe an enemy command walker, or something -- sure, you can try, but that's not the best use of it most of the time.
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Return to Rules Queries