It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:37 am

1500 UCM vs UCM Survey and Control

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

Octavian Lars

1500 UCM vs UCM Survey and Control

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 11:24 am

Foreword:
This was my first game played at the G3 club in glasgow having recently moved there for university. My opponent was Andrew Bussey, the local Hawk Talon, and we were both playing UCM. The game size was 1500 points and the mission was Survey and Control from the Phase 2 Book. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed playing in a new group of players against a new opponent with different strategies and viewpoints on the rules.

Armies:

Iain Sword:-
Command:
Kodiak CV4
4 Wolverine A
Armour:
3 Katana
2 Falcon
Infantry 1:
Infantry Team (Bear)
Flak Team (Bear)
Condor (shared)
Infantry 2:
Infantry Team (Raven A)
Infantry Team (Raven A)
3 Rapier (Condor)
Heavy Armour:
2 Gladius (Condor)
3 Rapier (Condor)
Air:
Seraphim Retaliator
Archangel

Andrew Bussey:-
Command:
Kodiak CV4
Ferrum
Armour:
6 Sabre
3 Rapier
Albatross (shared)
Infantry 1:
Infantry Team (Bear)
Flak Team (Bear)
Condor (shared)
Infantry 2:
Infantry Team (Raven A)
Infantry Team (Raven A)
Heavy Armour:
2 Gladius (Condor)
Falcon
Air:
2 Archangel

Turn 1: (Both players CV1, VP 0:0, Initiative to Iain)
Turn 1 mostly consisted of troops moving up the board, Andy managed to roll sucessfully for his reserves, bringing on his archangel squadron. Most of the turn consisted of moving troops on the board, armour for the most part being brought down the centre road or the road slightly off to my right. My AA was deployed roughly evenly on both sides (1 rapier squadron on each side, flak teams to the left, Wolverines to the far right) Andy deployed his Ferrum and Kodiak on his right flank and deployed the drones towards my left flank. My gladius remained in their dropship turn 1, as did my infantry, while andy’s both deployed turn 1. Andy then brought on his archangels, destroying 1 infantry raven in exchange for losing 1 archangel in return. However 1 base of infantry survived the crash. Using my Katana squad and falcon gunships, i was able to almost destroy a building occupied by Andy’s Flak teams, doing 8 damage total.

Turn 2: (Both players CV4, VP 2:3, Initiative to Andy)
Turn 2 was probably the most exciting turn, involving probably the most destruction of the game. Andy taught me a sharp lesson for leaving my Katanas so bunched up, losing them all to his kodiak’s orbital laser. I retaliated with my falcons and, finishing off the building holding his flak team, killing them all as well as 1 sabre from the falling rubble. I then deployed my gladius to support the infantry on the right flank and the infantry then deployed to the buildings on the right flank. Andy discovered 2 more VPs with his infantry, then moving his squads back into transports to take more buildings. One of these squads entered the building held by my half strength infantry squad, the other remained in its transport. My infantry on the left flank pushed up another building having found an intel point while the flak team went to the walls and fired on the drones. My Kodiak was able to do some damage to the building inhabited by Andy’s large infantry squad with its orbital laser, but this turn I mostly wasted my AA, using the rapiers on the left to kill drones only for them to respawn and the ones on the right to shoot a building doing minimal damage. My Wolverines were similarly wasted, doing only 1DP to a building only for the infantry to leave it. Andy’s gladius did have success killing one of my Rapiers, but my seraphim retaliator made an attack run on his tanks, killing 4 and suffering 1dp, but not before they did 3dp to my flak team and its building and 1dp to the infantry’s bear. My Archangel then made an attack run on the raven still containing infantry, destroying it in the air and avoiding return fire.
Turn 3: (Both players CV4, VP 5:5, Initiative to Iain)
This turn was very much a resolution of the various skirmishes that opened up last turn. The cqb between the raven A bourne squads occurred, leading to the death of my infantry base at the cost of one of his, but i remained occupier due to having a second infantry squad move into the building that activation. My retaliator was destroyed by an intercepting archangel before it could fire on the building containing Andy’s infantry and the return fire as ineffective. My Falcons were able to kill 1 Gladius while his gladius squad was unable to damage. My gladius fired on the Rapiers hiding behind the building, but did no damage. The wolverines moved up to spot for the kodiak, allowing a shot to be fired on the enemy kodiak, but a 1 was rolled for damage. My flak teams and infantry squad both moved to new buildings, my infantry scoring a VP as well. Andy’s bear Infantry squad was also destroyed by the destruction of its building, i think by my rapiers.
Turn 4: (Both players CV4, VP 9:5, Initiative to Iain)
This turn, all of Andy’s remaining infantry was destroyed and I was 2 points ahead for victory and firmly in control of both focal points so we conceded the game to me. Though during this turn, my bear Infantry were killed when their building was destroyed by a bomb and Andy’s last infantry squad was killed by levelling the building with my gladius and other assets.
Concession: Victory to Iain (7 intel, 2 focal points:5 intel)

Final thoughts:
I was very happy to play in a new setting against a new opponent, having only had 1 regular opponent at my local club. During the Game I felt I mis-used my AA units to an almost criminal degree, but I did use my activations well. I found that in this mission, neutralising the enemy infantry and protecting your own is the only directive. Though both of us had identical infantry, my list was more flexible with a broad spread of units whereas Andy brought just a mixture of large high cost battlegroups and battlegroups sorely lacking in units that made for a tactically inflexible force.
Brigadier-General of the 4th Legion of Titania
Also, no1 at DzC in elgin academy and my house

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: 1500 UCM vs UCM Survey and Control

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 10:40 pm

Nice! Thanks!
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios