It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:42 pm

Video Battle Report, Careful Advance

Tell the world how you trashed your enemies on the battlefield, or how you tactically withdrew to fight another day!
  • Author

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

Video Battle Report, Careful Advance

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm

Jordan and I get a half game of Careful Advance in, I try out the Triple Njord! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW3XtYatn7Q

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: Video Battle Report, Careful Advance

PostWed Sep 21, 2016 10:42 pm

I'm at work right now (Yay, new job! :D), so can't watch, and I'm supposed to watch the season finale of Major Crimes with the wife tonight, so not sure if I'll be able to watch tonight, but I'm posting here to remind myself to do so at some point soon. I like your VBRs, looking forward to this one... :)
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 3:04 am

Don't get that excited. It's only about half of a report, a little unerwhelming. ;)

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 5:17 am

Skimpy, yet, satisfying.

Thanks for taking the time to make a VBR!

Triple Njord... Yeah, not at 1,500 points, I don't think... :? But they look great! :D
I love my job (well, I love having a job), but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

Hawk Liam

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 9:30 am

I am toying with the idea of a new PHR army and double Njords appeal to me. One with Hera and 3 apollos. The other with 4 Odins. #jumpingonthebandwagon

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 11:51 am

Thanks! Yeah, I like the triple Njord idea in theory but in reality it's just not the best use of points. I'm thinking Double Njord and considering this list for next time.

Jump on the Band Wagon, Liam! We have tons of missiles and fiery death for everyone!!! :lol:

Standard Army
Clash: 1499/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1499/1500 pts]
Hand of the Sphere [351 pts]
Hera Squad: Hera(Councillor), 5x Apollo-A [351 pts]
Battle Pantheon [320 pts]
Battle Squad: 2x Ares, Njord [194 pts]
^ Sharing ^ Battle Squad: 2x Phobos [126 pts]
Immortals [202 pts]
Immortals: 2x Immortals, Triton A1 [101 pts]
Immortals [101 pts]
Heavy Pantheon [205 pts]
Hades: Hades [205 pts]

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Sep 22, 2016 10:59 pm

sybert1138 wrote:Thanks! Yeah, I like the triple Njord idea in theory but in reality it's just not the best use of points.

I think at 2,500 points you might be able to get away with it. I'm not sure I'd ever run my Hera and/or Apollos with a transport of any kind, but that discussion's been had...

sybert1138 wrote:Jump on the Band Wagon, Liam! We have tons of missiles and fiery death for everyone!!! :lol:

It's not "band wagoning", it's "expanding my hobby by adding a new army"! LOL! :lol:

Go for it, Liam! And, despite what I say, do whatever the hell you want to!

I still think the Zeus/3x Odin/Njord idea is a good one for a command squad, but I'm really diggin' the Hera blob at the moment...

sybert1138 wrote:I'm thinking Double Njord and considering this list for next time.

Standard Army
Clash: 1499/1500 points
Standard Army
PHR Standard Roster [1499/1500 pts]
Hand of the Sphere [351 pts]
Hera Squad: Hera(Councillor), 5x Apollo-A [351 pts]
Immortals [202 pts]
Immortals [101 pts]
Heavy Pantheon [205 pts]
Hades: Hades [205 pts]

That's an interesting list. With only 3 squads of Immortals, and no Exotics, you might want to consider swapping one squad of Ares out for a squad of Menchit A2's. You get some AT power, and you can really scare Infantry away from buildings you don't want them in, and if they do get in, they're toast -- unless they're Destroyers or Eviscerators, in which case they just giggle... :(

Also, with the Hades, you can give up a bit of AT punch by swapping out two Ares.

Watch out about getting to CLs quickly enough with this list, though. I think you saw that in this VBR -- I think if you would've continued with this game to Turn 6 your Resistance buddy would have ended up winning, because he owned the CL that his Thunderstorm was on (BTW, it should have been sitting directly on that CL -- as it was, he wasn't scoring on it, since you measure the 3" from the center of the model to the center of the CL), and it didn't look like you were getting to the other one that his Rocket Technicals were on, at least for a turn or 2. Scoring on the CLs is very important to being able to pull out an eventual win -- getting just one Objective off the table isn't going to cut it when the other guy is scoring on both CLs for 4 or 5 turns. But with the list you have, the only thing that can get to either CL by Turn 2 is the Immortals in their Tritons -- neither Njord/Type 1 squad is going to be able to score on one of those CLs until Turn 3, and likewise the walk-on Type 3's, since this is a corner deployment mission (no Deployment Phase, just corner "board edges"). Just so you know what to expect, should you try this mission again, with this list (which I would)... :D

sybert1138

Hawk Talon

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 11:55 am

Oh yeah, there is not a doubt in my mind that game was a loss. I had his Thunderstorm dead to rights with the command brick, couldn't even damage him. 3 up to hit 7 times. 2 up to wound, 4 up for doubles. Average rolling I should have killed or at least crippled it to the point the Njord could finish it and the Ares could have taken that point. Instead... WHIF! When that gamble failed I knew it was pretty much done, it just just a matter of killing his troops to make the victory feel hollow. ;)

I was aiming to get the Hades up road to clear the technicals with Black Nanomachines and one of the Njords but he dropped his Zuckhovs in the perfect spot to slow it down. Had I been thinking I'd have moved it over the Technicals rather than away. Some bad choices on my part, some terrible dice, but overall I think it was a playable list, it just lacks mobility. I have to commit to a strategy turn one and go if I play that list again.

I'm ashamed to say I don't actually own any Menchits... maybe I need to snag a pair of A2s.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostFri Sep 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Yeah, I've used the A2's in about 4 games now, and really like them. Just a pair of them, but that's enough at 1,500 points...

You just need to play more! ;)

Return to Games, Battle Reports and Custom Scenarios