It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:15 pm

PHR Battle Squad Question

Infiltrate and sabotage the enemies highest ranks. Fight for the White Sphere
  • Author

erion

PHR Battle Squad Question

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 1:23 am

For a PHR battle squad, do you recommend multitasker units (Like 2 Ares + Menchit + Phobos) Or all the same unit for the Squad?

I like the idea of having units with the ability to take on all comers, but I don't know how it would play out on the battlefield.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

Re: PHR Battle Squad Question

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 7:28 am

OK, for starters, the original Menchit is crap, I wouldn't bother with it. (Although there is a somewhat vocal, very small minority who would disagree with me.). The Menchit, A2, on the other hand, I like a lot, but it is a Support choice and I believe you're looking for Standard choice options.

Most folks run a pair of Ares in a Neptune with a pair of Phobos in a Neptune in a Battle Pantheon Battlegroup, if they run the Ares at all. Personally, I like the humble Ares, as both of its weapons benefit from its Scanner (trust me, they do), which comes in handy when shooting at things with Evasion, such as Medusa and Freeriders.

I will almost always (OK, definitely always) take at least one solo, walk-on Phobos in a Battle Pantheon, and then usually use the Support slot for something like Helios, Apollo-A's, or even Erebos. Sometimes I take two solo, walk on Phobos, to protect my light dropships from Fast Movers that might arrive early.

However, one variation that I have had a great deal of success with, especially if you're wanting to stick with (or have to) just what comes in the Starter Set, and/or just what's in the Core Rulebook (nothing wrong with that, especially if you're just starting out) is to take two squads, each made up of one Ares and one Phobos riding in a Neptune, in the same BG. I like this configuration a lot, and it throws people off. You keep the two squads relatively close to each other so they can support each other -- both Ares can shoot at the same target if they want to, same with the two Phobos, in the same activation -- but they can also split up and be dandy multitasking squads on their own, if the opportunity presents itself.

Hope that helps! And welcome (back) to the game, Post-Human brother!
I love my job, but a bad day of gaming beats a good day of work every time!

http://www.theroadtovalhalla.blogspot.com

erion

PostTue Dec 20, 2016 2:26 pm

I certainly see the value in having smaller squads within a battlegroup for flexibility, so this has been changed

Here's where I'm at right now. These are pretty much the units I have available. I do have some more Immortals and Longreach Teams, as well as Juno APCs instead of Angelos, and two of my Type-1 walkers (in this list as an Ares and Menchit) are not yet built, so there's a small amount of flexibility, but not much.

Clash: 1499/1500 points
Standard Army
  • PHR Standard Roster [1499/1500 pts]
    • Hand of the Sphere [290 pts]
      • Nemesis: Nemesis(War Advisor), Poseidon [290 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [269 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Ares, Neptune [124 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Ares, Phobos, Neptune [145 pts]
    • Battle Pantheon [254 pts]
      • Battle Squad: 2x Menchit, Neptune [114 pts]
      • Battle Squad: Menchit, Phobos, Neptune [140 pts]
    • Immortals [252 pts]
      • Immortals: 2x Immortals, Neptune, Angelos, Angelos A2 [172 pts]
      • Apollo Squad: 2x Apollo-A [80 pts]
    • Immortals [184 pts]
      • AM Rifle Team: 2x Immortal Longreach Team, Neptune, Angelos, Angelos A2 [184 pts]
    • Pegasus Group [250 pts]
      • Janus Squad: 4x Janus, 2x Triton A2(+Stealth Missiles, +Miniguns) [154 pts]
      • Mercury Drones: 4x Mercury, 2x Triton A2(+RN-5 Skyhammer) [96 pts]

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostThu Dec 22, 2016 7:38 am

I would put your Immortals squads in Tritons. That's a lot of points in transports for them, the Angelos in Neptunes, and very little mobility. Angelos are great (really great) for Valkyries, and you're light on Infantry with only two squads. With Drones you can usually get away with three squads of Infantry, but it's still tough.

Also, not sure you need a Poseidon with the Nenesis. I used to run a Nemesis ever since it first came out, I love it, but with Critical Locations being a thing, I'm not sure you can run one without a Poseidon, and that's just a ton of points for something that won't do much of anything once it's deposited your boss on a CL or Focal Point.

Having a low CV commander on a Nemesis is a good thing, though, since you should count on it dying by the end of the game, actually before the end, so it's good to get used to not relying on cards, or going first each turn. But I'd prefer to run a CV3 Councillor for that little extra on Initiative rolls, and 50% more cards.

Way too many Menchits, too, and not enough good AA. The Janus have a decent AA gun, and a lot of times people ignore them, but it's only one shot, and nowhere near the caliber of a Phobos or a Helios. I'd go down to just a single walk-on Phobos in that second Battle Pantheon, and with some of the other things I've talked about, trying to add in a squad of Helios, or at least a squad of Valks in a Juno A2 (but Angelos would be better - skip the Angelos A2, tho, not great, and demo is more reliable, especially with the Angelos driving on -- they're better driving on, and don't need a Neptune, but that's assuming that you put a squad of Valkyries in the Angelos, and put your two Troops squads into Tritons...)

Not to rip your whole list apart, but I wouldn't waste the plastic on regular Menchits. One with an Ares would be fun if you're hell bent on trying Flame, which can really throw an opponent off, but really the regular Menchit is just so sub par, and there's other things you need in your list, like better AA and at least one more Infantry squad. Sirens in a Triton are great, too.

Just trying to help... ;)

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

PostSat Dec 24, 2016 11:58 pm

Menchits suck. The newer Menchit might be feasible.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostMon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 am

SwordOfJustice wrote:Menchits suck. The newer Menchit might be feasible.

A pair of the new Menchit A2's are very good. You usually want them flaming Infantry, but with their two killer rockets, they have something else to do when they're not killing Infantry.

I like taking them in a Njord with a pair of Phobos, but a pair of the A2's in a Neptune are dandy, too...

Phantasm

PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:17 pm

As a proud owner of two Menchits (not these newfangled 'A2' ripoffs), I'd suggest using one with a Phobos. Fly em up to the centre building and aim for a turn 2 drop, then watch your opponent reconsider putting his infantry inside.

Of course, sponges such as Scourge Chunkies (Des' and Evis') and the infamous Pungari might be resistant to this.

Failing that, ask Hawk to make Menchits dirt cheap anti-infantry bullet sponges. :)
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

J.D. Welch

Hawk Talon

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:06 am

Sorry you built two regular Menchits before you actually tried them... :lol:

"Ripoffs"? They're the same cost, but come with two E10 missiles each. Categorically better...

Phantasm

PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:50 am

J.D. Welch wrote:Sorry you built two regular Menchits before you actually tried them... :lol:

"Ripoffs"? They're the same cost, but come with two E10 missiles each. Categorically better...

I buy cool looking models that just so happen to have game rules associated with them. That's my way of thinking about it. :ugeek:
An official advocate of of the UCM Articulated conga line.

Return to PHR - Army Lists and Tactics