It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:48 am

UCM Deep Space Cruiser Conversions

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Davidos

UCM Deep Space Cruiser Conversions

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted anything, but my brother kindly gifted me some UCM Cruisers and to reward him I cut them all to pieces...

Not being someone who can construct a kit how its supposed to be made, I set about looking at some of my more favoured ship designs to see if i could make something that hailed to these but remained droopfleet enough to not look out of place.

Basically I'm an avid Star Trek fan and have recently been playing star craft 2, so these were my main inspirations, a cross between the Terran Battlecruiser, an ST Ship and the original UCM look.

This is the result...

Side1.jpg
Side1.jpg (109.86 KiB) Viewed 405 times

back.jpg
back.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Top.jpg
Top.jpg (141.79 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Side2.jpg
Side2.jpg (237.25 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Top2.jpg
Top2.jpg (95.29 KiB) Viewed 405 times

Each cruiser only uses a single Cruisers parts and they can be made into all variants of the UCM cruiser (although i did need to remake the troop ship underneath as this makes up the hammerhead of the ship)

I've made 4 so far and they look pretty good (until i ruin them by putting paint on them). I'll probably do some better pics at some point.

I named these deep space Cruisers, just to justify the added mass (as they are a bit bigger), the idea being there are a lot more spare parts, living quarters etc on baord for these vessels that spend longer out of dock, but they are no more formidable in action.

Anyhow, let me know what you think (and any ideas about colour schemes, greatly appreciated!)

Dae

SwordOfJustice

Hawk Talon

Re: UCM Deep Space Cruiser Conversions

PostWed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 pm

Excellent. I like those. I've also made my own Shaltari Basalt carrier using left over parts. It's good fun.
We have evolved beyond mere flesh and bone. We are the Post Human Republic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBC9LIUpKeo

ghostgundam1

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:34 am

Looks amazing dude. Good work :D

Cry of the Wind

Hawk Talon

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 am

Very creative! Not 100% what I'd look for in a ship but it looks good and well thought out in its own way. That you can easily swap types is awesome and I can see the inspiration.

Nice work

maxgravity

PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:41 pm

Interesting interpretation. 1 minor suggestion is to try to keep realism (as defined by the setting) in mind and it will dramatically help the feel of your kit-bashes.

In this instance, you have the sensor spines/comm aerials on the struts by the flight bays/nacelles. In real life, their placement is less than ideal as their LoS is blocked to the sides and and a large chunk of the lower forward space by hull and their LOS to the rear will be blocked or severely degraded by the ionization from the engines. Mounting them on the outer hull of the nacelles will give them much more LoS and help with verisimilitude.

-MaxGravity

Return to Painting and Modelling