It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:39 pm

Paint stripping Hawk resin?

Questions & Tips on painting, converting and photographing models
  • Author

Echo24

Paint stripping Hawk resin?

PostWed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 pm

Has anyone got any tried and tested methods for removing paint from hawk resin without melting it? I'd rather not end up with paint caked on them, but I'd also rather not have to buy another model cos it's melted.
Canterbury's resident UCM player

leigen_zero

Re: Paint stripping Hawk resin?

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 11:32 am

FWIW, Try giving it a light scrape with a fingernail or a stiff brush? I've found on a couple of my resin pieces it doesn't take primer and paint very well at all, and comes off easily when not handled with care (which happens when your toddler gets hold of a wing of resin Neptunes).

Mike Mee

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Tbh, no :cry:

Echo24

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 7:54 pm

If it helps at all, I'm using GW paint.
Canterbury's resident UCM player

Skylifter-1000

PostThu Aug 31, 2017 8:21 pm

I have used PVC-cleaner, and it makes the resin go soft... Luckily, I only left it in for a few hours, so it hadn't gone completely limp by the time I took it out.

So definitely be careful and try any method on a single piece before you put your whole collection in for several days.

midas

PostFri Sep 01, 2017 9:32 pm

depends on the paint used, if it was primered or not, if it properly dried... and in what part of the world you live.
with acrylic color, try using isopropanol based cleaners, like disinfectants or highly concentrated window cleaner.
_careful_ use of nail polish remover can also remove paint without damaging resin, but requires some trial runs. do not soak resin in acetone/nail polish remover it melts the mini.
as for brands, dettol or simple green are known to work.

assuming acrylics, personally, i would: soak the mini in water (yes, water) for a day or two, than soak in 95% iso propanol mixed with some teaspoons 1:1 mix water:dishwasher, for a few hours and than go to work on the color with a toothbrush and a toothpick.

WizardLizard

PostWed Nov 01, 2017 1:35 pm

Dettol works well although you can only leave resin soaking for a couple of hours at a time as the resin will becoming very soft and pliable if you leave it soaking for too long (overnight is a bad idea). 2 cycles of ~2 hours is enough to remove primer+paint anyway.

Return to Painting and Modelling